It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2006, 03:12 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Hedgehog No 1 HB User
describe manic thoughts...???

How would you describe manic thoughts without them becoming actions.

I am currently experiencing a situation where i am having multiple thoughts about nothing specific (usually just random) and my mind is racing, I also find it impossible to concentrate on ANYTHING at the moment.

Would this be described as a mild manic episode ???

Hedge ~

Old 04-17-2006, 05:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: describe manic thoughts...???

Hedge,
It could be? The wife says that the same thought keeps coming up over and over with a speed that is nearly inpossible to control.

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2006, 07:03 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

JustDave4now HB User

For me, I know what I have gone manic is when my thoughts seem more like a compulsion and less like a thought.

They overwelm me, and take over what I should be thinking about and I can't stop them or have a hard time doing so.

Old 04-18-2006, 04:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

Hello! It's been 20 years since my last manic episode, but I sure do remember the manic side of things.
Manic thoughts? Imagine that each thought is a train car. Each is connected to another. And another. And another. And another. Going very very fast. And the brakes don't work.
Most manic thoughts lead to "rapid speech". All of those thoughts are spoken, and then each tangent goes off from that, and that leads to another. Some are very obscure and would make sense only to the person with bipolar disorder.

I know it sounds strange, but it's good to see you here! I wouldn't wish Bipolar Disorder on anyone, but you're still a part of this board whether you have it or not my friend!
Ruthie

Old 04-19-2006, 03:24 PM   #5
(male)

BenGone HB User

I would have to agree, that the description given by the original poster AND the last pretty-well concur with MY notion of "racing thoughts" as they pertain to Bi-Polar Disorder.

~ In the world of books.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:54 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Hedgehog No 1 HB User

Many thanks for the comments. They are all helpfull.

It makes me think that what I think might be 'manic thoughts' probably are.

Perhaps what I have is a very mild 'manic' side but a strong 'depression' side of being bipolar???

welcome to the newbie ~

Hedge (turned forty yesterday and don't like being 'old')

Old 04-20-2006, 04:21 PM   #7
(male)

BenGone HB User

Thank you for that polite acknowledgement.

Our stateside "History Channel" has been airing a few bits of English History this week (in anticipation of a movie regarding Elizabeth I, or something). In the process, quite a lot has been revealed regarding the Clans of the North (Scots). I'm of primarilly Scot descent.

It appears that any number of "leaders" might easilly have been diagnosed as BiPolar (either highly focused and acting OR sitting and sulking).

Perhaps it's just in the genes.

~ NOT in the world of books.

Old 04-20-2006, 06:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog No 1
mild 'manic' side but a strong 'depression' side
This would describe Type II Bipolar. Where I would get Manic and psychotic, you would be "hypomanic" instead. Depressions apply to both!!

And, while we're at, Happy Belated Birthday!
40 is still a youngster! I breezed through 50 even, so honest, count yourself blessed to only be 40!!
Ruth

Last edited by Ruth6:11; 04-20-2006 at 06:04 PM.

Old 05-27-2006, 12:36 PM   #9
(female)

Strawberry.hill HB User

I was just diagnosed 3 days ago, so I'm new. When I have the thoughts, I usually write a lot. Sometimes e-mails to friends, sometimes just pages on my computer, (an informal journal, because I only write when I am up to it) it keeps me from driving people crazy. Last time I had thoughts, I did an outline for a SciFi book. When I get them again I will continue writing. You could put those thoughts to a creative use. It keeps you busy and it's a good outlet.

Old 05-27-2006, 02:32 PM   #10
(female)

JewelACJ HB User

I agree with everyone.

I've also noticed that when I'm manic, I can't sit still...not even for 5 minutes. I have to keep moving.

Last edited by JewelACJ; 05-27-2006 at 02:33 PM.

Old 05-28-2006, 04:31 AM   #11
(male)

clocksaver HB User

I get this all the time even with my meds. they wont stop. I try talking to myself , sometimes that helps or talking to my wife when she will listen. Anyone take meds to help stop this ? Or is the anything out there to help ?

Old 05-28-2006, 07:31 AM   #12
(female)

JewelACJ HB User

I was in a manic state and my Dr. decided to add Adderall to the mix. I know it seems odd since it's a stimulant, but it really helped calm me down. I've read that it's usually used as a treatment for ADHD, but also for people who are resistant to other bipolar meds. You might bring it up with your Dr. Wouldn't hurt.

Old 05-28-2006, 01:41 PM   #13
(female)

gotitbad HB User

Lots of medicines slow down those manic thoughts. That is the point to mood stabilizers. Lithium, Topamax, and Seroquel work for me, but I have tried 10 others too. Those thoughts can become psychotic anad VERY DAMGEROUS to yourself and others. Don't underestimate this disorder. My racing thoughts lost me hundreds of thousands of dollars in bad, impulsive investments my grandiose thinking thought would make me a multi-millionare! I got into car accidents and many tickets. I bought many things on shopping things I never needed and couldn't return. It ruined my marriage of 11 years and lost countless friends who were afraid of my bizzare behavior. Now after being stable for several years I'm trying to rebuild my and my kids lives as a single mom. Keep trying until you get the right drugs and don't go off of them! It could make all the difference oin the quality of your life. Racing thought are NOT NORMAL and are a sign that your illness is in control. You must not allow that or suddenly without warning you could lose so much that you love!

Old 05-28-2006, 02:04 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

coffeegirl2 HB User

Jewell

My son who has ADHD took Adderall. It worked for him for a while then it became less and less of an effective drug for his particular situation, so the pdoc changed his meds- again, and again, and finally we have found the right cocktail mix. I've heard of others with BP who have taken Adderall or Ritalin and have had great success, even though, like you have stated, are stimulants.

Can you tell us how the drug effects you in any way; physical or mentally? I'd love to know as it would help me understand my son better.

Thanks

Coffeegirl

Old 05-28-2006, 02:21 PM   #15
(female)

JewelACJ HB User

Hi Coffeegirl!
I've only been taking the Adderall XR for about 2 weeks now, so I'm not sure if I'm getting the full effect just yet. It's definitely slowed me down, at least to where I can sit with only maybe jiggling my leg or something like that, but it helps. It helps me focus too. I was in a pretty severe manic stage (for me) and it worked lots better than Abilify, Lamictal, and Geodon. I haven't noticed any bad side effects mentally or physically. It seems to wear off by early evening and I have some trouble with mood changes (depression like) then. That's the only drawback I see. Oh, and it helped suppress my appetite, but only for the first week. But, I could see that (suppressing the appetite) being a problem for children.

I hope I've answered your question. I certainly rambled on long enough. lol If ya ever want to ask me anything more...please do. I'd love to be of help to someone.

Closed Thread