It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2006, 10:47 AM   #1
(female)

1CONFUZEDMOMMA HB User
Arrow how many more

I would really like to know how many more meds will I have to try till I find one that makes me feel "good" and want to do anythign else to self medicate myself?

Old 04-18-2006, 11:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User
Re: how many more

In your first thread you stated "I was diagnosed at 15-16 but thought it was just my "teen years". I went to a counselor and they put me on lithium-the all well too known "cure" drug. Well by the time I was 18 I didnt want to LIVE MY LIFE ON A PILL so I stopped taking them-cold turkey! I then started hanging out with the wrong crowd and started using a lot ...drugs."

I hope you are now under the care of a pdoc. If,in fact,you are still diagnosed Bipolar,than lithium would still be your number one mood stabilizer.(It worked for you from age 15 to 18). However, you need to know that Bipolar Disorder will NOT go away. If you and your pdoc are in agreement with taking lithium, you will have to take it the rest of your life. Wouldn't that be better than what you are during now? Maybe this is part of your question "how many more?"

I know what I talk about. I "have been there,done that" I'm Bipolar for the last 46 years (64 now).I went off and on lithium for 24 years. Now with the consistancy of 22 years with lithium, I live a beautiful and stable life.

Eyes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2006, 12:02 PM   #3
(female)

1CONFUZEDMOMMA HB User

well no i am not seeing a doctor right now! I just got my health insurance started back up on 04/24/06-so I will have to start over with a new doctor-didnt really like my old doctor anyways. I was on effexor last but don't really think it was helping!

Old 04-18-2006, 12:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

It's great that you now have health ins. Make that appointment now with a new pdoc. Take a complete drug history with you at the first visit. Lithum may still be the best mood stabilizer,yet.

Keep me informed.

Your on the right track !

Eyes

Old 04-18-2006, 12:35 PM   #5
(female)

1CONFUZEDMOMMA HB User
Lightbulb Re: how many more

Thanks for the bit of encouragement. Sometimes I just feel so good that I dont think there is anything wrong with me and then sometimes I have every ailment that could ever exist. This new doctor is going to have his hands full!

Old 04-18-2006, 01:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

That's what Bipolar Disorder is all about. The good with the bad.
The important thing is that your awear...and your going to do something positve about it.

Good for YOU !

Eyes

Old 04-18-2006, 02:53 PM   #7
(female)

1CONFUZEDMOMMA HB User

Ok I am at work and I have been I would consider on the mania side here lately. I have all these projects at home that I want to do to make my life easier or at least I think so-my boyfriend says I just want to spend money on useless items-when I get on one of the frenzys-I like to clean and do laundry and organize things as to the point I will clean a counter over and over again. As I was reading some of the other posts could I also be linked to haveing and OCD? You seem pretty insightful EYES what do you think!

Old 04-18-2006, 03:16 PM   #8
(male)

cvnorton HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CONFUZEDMOMMA
I would really like to know how many more meds will I have to try till I find one that makes me feel "good" and want to do anythign else to self medicate myself?
I am married to a wonderful wife who is dianosed not only with bi-polar but with borderline personality disorder, PTSD, and depression. I know that seems like an awful lot and it is but once she convinced herself to see a psychiatrist and psychologist everything has been better for the both of us. They tried her out on several different medications but the combination of lithium, seroquel, and zoloft seems to be the magic combination for her. If you have not been on or tried any of these meds then I would suggest asking your doctor about them. Certain meds are not for everyone but I am sure if you are open with your doctors and are properly diagnosed then you will eventually find a combination that works for you. Hope this helped and good luck.

Closed Thread