It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2006, 09:20 PM   #1
(female)

wickhams5 HB User
Unhappy Sex Crazed

i have been diagnosed with bipolar and i don't know if its an episode or what but i am just like completly sex crazed i am miserable i can't get enough i have 5 kids and i am married. Does any one else have this problem with there bipolar. Help Iam soooo frustrated i can't handle one more symptom

Old 04-19-2006, 09:58 PM   #2
(female)

lynelle101 HB User
Re: Sex Crazed

I have not had this problem myself but have read that it is very common.. I have been checking out books like crazy and electroboy was one that well was too much for me but sex was a huge part of the bipolar for him... Allot of the information on bipolar on the internet talks about it as a symptom especially when in a manic stage... Has something to do with that high feeling of ones self that takes over and it takes over everything for some even to the point of the sex drive...Sorry don't have much words of wisdom or help
Best Wishes Lynelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2006, 04:39 PM   #3
(male)

BenGone HB User

I have many opinions on this, most of them my own.

I am diagnosed. I am considered hypersexual. I consider myself a lesbian trapped in a man's body ~ but that's getting WAY off-topic...

One thing about this disorder (realizing that we EACH experience OUR OWN individual "presentations")...

We ALL prefer to NOT be depressed.

One of the alternatives to sitting around "depressed", is to get "stimulated". That stimulation can take any number of forms. Caffeine. Meth. Coccaine. ANYTHING that causes chemical "triggers" ~ engaging us more fully AND contributing to an upwards "spiral". Even shopping (oh no !!!)...

SEX (and you can check Sigmund Freud on this) is simply THE MOST STIMULATING THING THERE IS !!!

Consequently ~ the urge + desire for stimulus = hypersexuality.

IF one chooses to label it as such.

I hope this helps put things into perspective.

(in edit) ~ I guess the first step is to "recognize" any behavior and willfully decide to change it. IF your sexual drive IS causing you distress AND you wish to bring it under more "control" - you've already taken the first step. NOW, it's a process of looking for something to "substitute" (in place of the "destructive" behavior). That's a tough process. Hard to find a reasonable substitute. It's like spawning addictive behavior FOR an addictive behavior. Just channeling it into something potentially CONstructive... Best wishes !!!

May you find the power within yourself to realize your goals !!!

Last edited by BenGone; 04-20-2006 at 04:55 PM. Reason: OOPS ~ I forgot to make any suggestion(s)....

Old 04-21-2006, 01:27 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Dan_Sims HB User

wickhams5, have you tried any medicine. (Zoloft, Lexapro, Paxil etc

Old 04-21-2006, 04:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User

Yes, this can be a problem. My wife used to have this issue. Man, I wish she could have retained this one alone. LOL Just kidding! It realy can be an issue. I have heard some alful storys about this and will not share them because they involve real people with real problems.

Mudhound

Old 04-22-2006, 05:56 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

smartgal HB User

My stimulation is gambling. My psychiatrist didn't seem to get that I did it mostly when depressed, not manic. I think the stimulation is in the effort to get back that manic feeling.

Old 04-23-2006, 05:52 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Hedgehog No 1 HB User

YES - I had this problem (and it IS a problem)

I still have it but to a lesser degree than before.

I found by trying to control the urges over time it made a huge difference.
I also found my psychotherapy helped me to deal with it by realising it wasn't about the act of sex - it was about emotion.

I am also lucky in that my partner is very giving sexually. When I am in a mood for sex we have some.

It can be controlled and helped, you just need the right motivation.

Hope it helps,

Hedge ~

Old 04-23-2006, 12:51 PM   #8
(female)

vo-5 HB User

My husband and I are two hypersexual bi-polars and we have a GREAT marriage

Old 04-23-2006, 06:14 PM   #9
(male)

BenGone HB User

vo-5 ~ I'm inspired by what you just said !!!!

Now... Do I cruise BiPolar "meetings" searching.... Or, is there a section at one of the "major" online dating services for hypersexual bipolars....

I'm only slightly kidding. OK, I'm not kidding at all. I'm desparate !!!

Closed Thread