It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2006, 10:56 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

cinemachick HB User
Medication Failure

After taking seventeen medications, I was hoping the Lamictal would work. I had it increased to 150mg about three weeks ago, and the last two weeks have caused me to lose faith in it. During the past couple weeks I've started a recovery plan, because at times, I feel inspired to conquer my illness, but during my depressive times, I have been the lowest I have ever been.

The past two weeks I have been crying more, my moods have become even more extreme, I'm getting into physical fights with my boyfriend, I'm self-harming, going into periods of wanting to starve myself and periods of binging, I stopped taking my meds for a few days, and I feel outside my body.

I sometimes have an adverse effect to my medications. Can someone be this medication resistent? I am happy to announce that the Risperdal has made the people in my computer screen go away! However, that is the only thing that has helped. I haven't been on it for very long and I'm nervous. My meds sometimes help for a month or two then will completely stop.

I don't want to vent but rather ask if anybody else goes through this? Can therapy alone help a bipolar? I'm desperate for help. Thanks.

Old 04-21-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
(female)

lynelle101 HB User
Re: Medication Failure

Hello,
Okay as I was reading your post I thought I wrote it! With the expception of the resperdial. I am relatively knew since nov with diagnosis and meds but been like this like forever I swear. I also am on lamictal and just went up to 100mg about 2weeks ago and am experincing the same THINGS maybe it's the meds???? I don't know I know I also started wellbutrin after depakote didn't work after three months now I have done the wellbutrin almost two months and well here we go again I swear it's starting not to work maybe I am more sick then I thought or like you said can we be this medicine resistent??? I hope someone does answer u because I would like to know tooo! Well if this helps your NOT alone Best to you Lynelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2006, 04:55 PM   #3
(female)

vo-5 HB User

It took years for the pdocs to find the right combination for me. Don't get discouraged. Try everything they give you. I found the right cocktail for me is Trileptal, Lexapro, Xanax, and Trazadone.

Old 04-28-2006, 10:22 AM   #4
(female)

klawk316 HB User

Greetings,

Iíve been on 250mg lamictal for over a year. While I worked my way up I used to get soooo weepy with each increase. My mood swings came faster but the duration and severity were less. For nine months I was almost mood swing free. Afterwards I started with small rapid hypo-mania. The doctor put me on 5mg abilify and this cocktail is working well. I would hope you would give the lamictal more time and consider an antipsychotic (abilify, etc) if needed for dilutions or help with hard to treat mania. FYI: anti-depressants can be a real problem with many bipolars. Can really interfere with stabilization and give an appearance that the stabilizer is not working; and then the doctor may up the stabilizer when in fact all that was needed was to drop the anti-depressant. . I wish you well. Karen

Old 05-02-2006, 04:24 PM   #5
(male)

yooper829 HB User

I definatly agree with the antipsychotics, even if your just BP. Im on 150mg of Lamictil and tolerate it well, by my doc said this med is designed to help fight the lows (but it wont stop you from going there once in a while), but that the antispychotics is what stablizes your mood. You really need to keep trying until you find not only the right cocktail but the right dose of each med. Im on Lithium, Lamictil and now Resperdal. I also tried Seroquel and Abilify all of which are antipsychotics and both had side effects I couldnt take, now Resperdal seems to be working. However, Im still playing with the dose and 1mg doesnt keep the bad thoughts away so Im up to 1 1/2mg as of today. You cant give up! There is a combo that will work, just have to keep fighting.

Old 05-02-2006, 05:01 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

cinemachick HB User

I'm on 1mg of Risperdal, and so far, it's helping. That seems to be the only one.

The only antipsychotic I have been on was Seroquel, and I can't remember the reason why I went off of it.

Thanks for the replies.

Closed Thread