It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2006, 08:29 PM   #1

BPNotallofMe HB User
Spirituality Aspects?

Okay, this is going to sound extremely bizarre, but since we're all mental patients in here anyway, ha ha,.....

Does anyone out there with any diagnosis feel
like, although we take our medicine and it probably helps us cope,
that there is some spiritual aspect to the symptoms? For instance, I
am convinced that the guy in "a beautiful mind" was actually seeing
spirits, although I know little about his disorder.

Personally, I don't have hallucinations, but I am convinced 100% that
some people can either read my mind or each others', and I wonder if
this is some kind of communication between people that have the holy
spirit, or something. I feel like there are spiritual things that I
am being left out of understanding for some reason, that I catch
glimpses of the supernatural but can't grasp how it happens and why,
for instance *I* can't hear anyone else's thoughts. Sometimes also,
I fear that I have been condemned by God (any reassurance that this
is not the case is welcome, lol).

Anyway, I have looked into transpersonal psychology, kundalini
awakening, the idea of the superconsciousness, and all kinds of other
junk. Just wondering if there is anyone out there like me who thinks
they are being left out of some heavenly existence on purpose... or
something like that.

Thanks.

Old 04-23-2006, 12:48 AM   #2
(female)

Xena1 HB User
Re: Spirituality Aspects?

just saw this and had to reply,,,

first of all GOD did not condem you! You have a choice in this world you can either accept him or not. It is your choice a choice he gave you.

If your catching glimpes of the supernatural kind then you need to rebuke the devil and denouce his name. Comand that satan leave you at once and command this in JESUS name, once the devil hears you say that he has no choice but to leave you!

you will never see another suppernatural thing again..

And yes I belive there is alot of spritiaualness going on in alot of these hallucinations it is satan playing tricks on you..

and thank goodness you can't hear anyone elses thoughts I can't imagin I would want to hear what others are thinking,,,

now if your getting dreams that GOD is telling you something that is something totally different. It very well could be GOD telling you something...

Ok this is just my opionon ...

(I am a preachers wife Of course)

Xena1

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2006, 11:53 AM   #3
(male)

oxindenial HB User

I think that spirituality is a hard thing for anyone to define for everyone. I believe in Christ, and charity, and I am begining to come to an understanding about spirits that is maybe a complete construction of my mind. But I think also that if you want to look into different types of spirituality, that as long as you are a good person, you can choose for yourself what fits right.

During my episodes I have experienced great torment and self-resentment. But I don't know that the influence of that is from spirits or God or the devil. I just keep doing my thing and looking for the peace of mind that gives me happiness and strength.

good luck.

Oxindenial

Old 04-27-2006, 07:02 AM   #4
(male)

chipshot48 HB User

As a christian I believe that the evil spirits (demons) can and do make themselves visible in many different forms. I saw the movie "A Beautiful Mind" and I believe he was seeing manifestations of satanic form. I would reccommend that you start reading the Bible on a regular daily basis and as you read, ask the Holy Spirit to open your eyes to the word. I would also reccomend that you stay away from all the "far eastern" religious modes because they are not based on the teachings of Jesus Christ and they have the ability to lead you astray. I would not reccommend anything like Yoga, Kundalini, TDM (transendental meditation) or anything of the like. Get your spirit in the Word of God. You may begin by reading the book of Mark, then James.

Old 04-29-2006, 08:44 AM   #5
(female)

dalislastrose HB User

Um... I would disagree about the "far eastern" religious ideas. Yoga, meditation, tai chi, etc., can all help 'quiet the mind' and allow a bipolar patient a degree of healing that isnt possible with just medication.

I have used all three of the above mentioned activities and have found that they are all extremely beneficial, though like anything else, it takes practice.

I do think that some who have been diagnosed with psychiatric disorders either have a thinner curtain separating them from the spiritual world, or the curtains have been taken down and the windows opened for the breeze.

Old 04-29-2006, 11:09 AM   #6
(female)

m25 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPNotallofMe

Personally, I don't have hallucinations, but I am convinced 100% that
some people can either read my mind or each others', and I wonder if
this is some kind of communication between people that have the holy
spirit, or something.

What convinces you that other people can read your mind?

Old 05-09-2006, 08:01 PM   #7
(female)

littletimebomb HB User

Hi BPNotallofMe,
I'm a little freaked out by all the christian interpretations of your spirituality question. I am a bipolar writer and I'm currently doing research on spirituality and schizophrenia and I have found that although some religious dogma concerning the spiritual aspect of mental illness is extreme (i.e. Xena1's "rebuke the devil" reply) some other spiritual beliefs hold many different interpretations of such things. Carl Jung developed his idea of the 'collective unconscious' by working with schizophrenics and actually CURING them without medication. And this is the early 1900's when schizophrenics were stuck in tortutous institutions and considered helpless or possessed.
Jung considered schizophrenia a 'spiritual awakening' and said that the ego, which can't dissassociate itself from the collective unconscious, uses mythic figures and stories from deep in the ancient unconscious to heal it's trauma. By working through this awakening with his patients, he was able to help the schizophrenics integrate the self back into the ego and therefore regain a 'normal' relationship with common reality.
Jung himself had a prophetic dream of blood covering most of Europe just before the start of WWII. His belief in the paranormal and the collective unconscious was one of the principal factors in his break with Freud.
You are not crazy. I repeat, you are not crazy. You have something different going on in your brain and we do not understand it. Rebuking it will only cause inner turmoil. Bipolar is part of you and you can't escape it. Appreciate the benefits and use them to control the negative.
I find meditation very helpful. I meditate every day, usually in the bath or before bed. It opens me up to the calm within myself. Don't worry if it's hard at first. It took me a long time before I was able to sit still long enough and not think! But after a time it became easier and I value that 30 minutes a day of complete calm.
If you feel drawn to spirituality in regards to mental illness you are not alone. Keep looking. You'll find what you need.
littletimebomb

Closed Thread