It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2006, 05:06 PM   #1
(female)

darlingnikki HB User
Question about a med./weird side effect?

I've been on Seroquel for about 2 years now. Its an anti-psychotic for bi-polar....

anyways, one of the symptoms is dry mouth. In the morning I wake up with severe dry mouth and this gunk thats in my mouth and on my teeth. Its weird, and usually I'm hacking stuff up in the morning cause of it (& I don't smoke). It all started when I started taking this medication.

Its really nasty, but I don't want to be taken off this medication because it helps me sleep since I suffer from really bad insomia. But I can't stand waking up in the morning with this stuff on my teeth.

Old 04-27-2006, 01:14 AM   #2
(male)

nino7557 HB User
Re: Question about a med./weird side effect?

I TOO SUFFERED WITH THE SAME PROBLEM, BUT IT WAS OK AFTER I CURED MY INSOMNIA - FEEL FREE TO E-MAIL ME ABOUT IT [email]REMOVED[/email].

Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted. The boards are to be used for on board sharing, only. The email and private message features are turned off so that use of the message boards remain anonymous. The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-28-2006 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Please honor your membership agreement. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2006, 08:13 AM   #3
(female)

dalislastrose HB User
Re: Question about a med./weird side effect?

That is a very VERY common side effect of Seroquel. I was on it for a while and had the same problem. The Seroquel is causing your mouth to dry out and you will need to take very special care of your teeth to make sure they dont just start to decay. Frequent flossing, brushing and mouthwash are all good ideas, but please make sure you do something! I didnt find out until it was too late, and I now need 3 teeth pulls and have multiple cavities in 11 other teeth. (I had perfect teeth until these meds!!)

Do you have a dentist? You should try to talk to him/her about what steps you can take to avoid long term problems, or in the case of a good friend of mine, dentures.

I hope this helped...

Closed Thread