It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2006, 07:35 PM   #1

ljs3 HB User
Impulses related to bipolar

My husband has recently been diagnosed as bipolar. He has impulses that are sexual in nature. His counselor said this directly relates to his bipolar disorder. Does anyone else have impulses that are directly linked to being bipolar? Part of me wants to believe what his counselor says but the other part of me feels like it is a cop out to blame it on being bipolar.

He is now on depakote and seeing a counseling every other week. He is also going to a support group. Is there any hope that these impulses can be kept under control with medication, counseling and by going to a bipolar support group. I am ready to file for divorce but if there is any hope that he can get better I feel like I should give him that chance.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:42 PM   #2
(female)

Joliebean HB User
Lightbulb Re: Impulses related to bipolar

Hi Ljs,

I know exactly what you're talking about here!! *hugs*
My husband is bipolar and I thought we were the only ones going through this. He was diagnosed as bipolar years ago-before we met. We've been married for about 3.5 years now and in the beginning of our marriage we had a tough time because he had these outragious (sp) sexual cravings. I mean this man can go for hours (if you let him lol). We used to get into these huge fights over it and his doctor told us the same thing. I was doubtful too until she put him on medication to help control it and it worked for about a week. He said he felt normal and I felt less pressured. After that it was back again. Because he's a rapid cycler he has to see his doc often and she has to increase his dosage to his normal meds or start something different but those sexual cravings are still there and we are still struggling with it.

So I know how you feel. Talk to your doctor about medication for that and see if that helps. I wish the meds my husbands doc put him on would have still worked but....as with any medication it's trial and error.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2006, 05:47 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

KittenPaws HB User
Re: Impulses related to bipolar

When i was off meds, i was like a nympho... 8-10 times a day, my boyfriend couldnt keep up with me at all. Though im embarassed to say. They come during my mania episodes though, i dont know if your husbands do. I still get them off and on , on medications right now, but the future is looking better for me and my partner. .... though i dont think HE minded....

~J

Old 04-29-2006, 07:12 AM   #4

BetsyJean HB User
Re: Impulses related to bipolar

Yes, look at any list of the symptoms for Mania and you will see hypersexuality or promiscuity. Not everyone who is bipolar has this symptom but it is definitely not an "excuse" - it is a symptom of his brain's chemical imbalance.

Closed Thread