It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2006, 03:54 PM   #1
(male)

lonesomedave HB User
new here and need to vent

Hi all. I have been registered here for awhile now but this is my first post. I am so tired of being depressed and irritable. I feel like the only people I feel comfortable around are other people with mental disorders. I am 51, male, never married, no children, could never keep a job. Luckily I was just approved for disability six months ago. I used to cut back in my late teens and early twenties but have not since then. I am on valproic acid, mirtazapine,seroquel, zyprexa and prozac. I have put on 50 lbs and that really makes me mad. I don't feel like any of my meds are working. I don't feel like talking to anyone and really have to fight myself to take a shower. The only positive I see in my life is not worrying about keeping a job anymore. I really feel I am destined to be alone the rest of my life. Thank God there is a place like this I can share this stuff. Thanks for letting me vent. Dave

Old 04-29-2006, 04:14 PM   #2
(female)

lynelle101 HB User
Re: new here and need to vent

Dave,
first hello and welcome. I also am rather new but wanted to say hi. It's good that your here and coming to vent, it's such a healthy thing for us to do I think.... I know what you mean about being comfortable around others with mi's it makes you feel normal whatever normal is right..... I am sorry that u have been down, but the good thing is not havin to stress about the job situation!!!! Well I wish you the best and you will find great support here....Lynelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2006, 08:06 AM   #3
(male)

chipshot48 HB User

Hi Dave, I empathize with you about your depression and lack of any ambition to do very much. Although I am not plagued with this problem, I live with someone who is. I don't need to tell you how hard it is at times to deal with this. We have been to many Dr.s and and have received many different words of advise. She is presently on a medication called "Cymbalta" which has really helped. The bad thing about Cymbalta is that she developes a very bad itchy rash when she is on it for an extended period of time and then must go off of it till the rash clears up, which is only a matter of about a week. She has now stopped the Cymbalta all together and went back on Zoloft which seems to work fairly well. This is not a disease or sickness that you can just "snap out of" but need to seek good medical help from a psychiatric Dr. on a regular basis and stay on your meds. Try to think good thoughts and try to do good deeds for others so you are not dwelling on your own problem. Do a lot of walking. Get involved with a project around the house like a flower or vegetable garden or painting. Keep your mind busy with other things. I hope these ideas may help you. I know what you're going through, but only from the other side of the fence. I do wish you well.

Old 05-02-2006, 07:54 AM   #4
(male)

BenGone HB User

Hey Dave,

You live in a beautiful area (I was raised near there). I've ventured to real estate ads online often, dreaming of going back.

Now that the weather is warmer ~ try to get out and enjoy the countryside, some. Despite the weight "issue", taste some of that fine local cuisine (I've never had relish trays anything like them, anywhere).

I've often applied a motto, to many aspects of life.

Sometimes, LESS is MORE.

That can be true in education (as in ~ I wish they'd try to teach LESS, BETTER).

In eating (as in, a bit of REALLY tasty food is so much more satisfying than a whole trough of buffet yuck). Hence, the relish trays.

I wish I could remember to apply it to exercise, but I ALWAYS get carried away in the "rush" of the moment ... I am one sore guy, right now. Happens every Spring.

I found it to be true in medications (and eventually, so did my brother).

The liver controls ALL metabolism, chemically. EVERYthing we take effects the liver. Chat with your Doctor and/or Pdoc. See if they won't consider reducing your meds and amounts. Gradually.

I can almost guarantee that with less meds, you'll probably stop adding weight AND begin to feel better (which in turn ~ will reduce the NEED for meds), gradually starting a spiral to a better balance.

GOOD LUCK !!!

ALWAYS speak up to vent OR get support/advice !!!

Be your own advocate, in every respect !!!

Closed Thread