It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
(female)

pinkeetoz HB User
Bipolar Mixed State?

Can anyone give symptoms of Mixed State Bipolar? pinkeetoz

Last edited by pinkeetoz; 05-11-2006 at 09:41 PM.

Old 05-11-2006, 09:59 PM   #2
(female)

lynelle101 HB User
Re: Bipolar Mixed State?

hopefully you will help some of this information usefull:

Bipolar "Mixed" State
Symptoms of mania and depression are present at the same time. The symptom picture frequently includes agitation, trouble sleeping, significant change in appetite, psychosis, and suicidal thinking. Depressed mood accompanies manic activation.

Sometimes severe mania or depression is accompanied by periods of psychosis. Psychotic symptoms include hallucinations (hearing, seeing, or otherwise sensing the presence of stimuli that are not actually there) and delusions (false fixed beliefs that are not subject to reason or contradictory evidence and are not explained by a person's usual cultural concepts). Psychotic symptoms associated with bipolar disorder typically reflect the extreme mood state at the time (e.g., grandiosity during mania, worthlessness during depression).

Bipolar disorder with rapid cycling is defined as four or more episodes of illness within a 12-month period. This form of the illness tends to be more resistant to treatment than non-rapid-cycling bipolar disorder.

The particular combinations and severity of symptoms vary among people with bipolar disorder. Some people experience very severe manic episodes, during which they may feel "out of control," have major impairment in functioning, and suffer psychotic symptoms. Other people have milder hypomanic episodes, characterized by low-level, non-psychotic symptoms of mania such as increased energy, euphoria, irritability, and intrusiveness, that may cause little impairment in functioning but are noticeable to others. Some people suffer severe, incapacitating depressions, with or without psychosis, that prevent them from working, going to school, or interacting with family or friends. Others experience more moderate depressive episodes, which may feel just as painful but impair functioning to a lesser degree. Inpatient hospitalization is often necessary to treat severe episodes of mania and depression.

A diagnosis of bipolar I disorder is made when a person has experienced at least one episode of severe mania; a diagnosis of bipolar II disorder is made when a person has experienced at least one hypomanic episode but has not met the criteria for a full manic episode. Cyclothymic disorder, a milder illness, is diagnosed when a person experiences, over the course of at least 2 years (1 year for adolescents and children), numerous periods with hypomanic symptoms and numerous periods with depressive symptoms that are not severe enough to meet criteria for major manic or depressive episodes. People who meet criteria for bipolar disorder or unipolar depression and who experience chronic psychotic symptoms, which persist even with clearing of the mood symptoms, suffer from schizoaffective disorder. The diagnostic criteria for all mental disorders are described in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th Edition (DSM-IV).2
My best to u and I hope this helped some Lynelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2006, 10:10 PM   #3
(female)

pinkeetoz HB User

Are they basically treated the same way? I'm not sure which type of Bipolar that I have. I know when I went to the doc that prescribes my meds a week and a half ago he said I was having a mixed state, possibly bipolar. What does this really mean in English and is this treatable? Anyone, please, robin

Old 05-11-2006, 10:15 PM   #4
(female)

lynelle101 HB User

OKAY HERES A BETTER DEFINITION OF IT THEN i WILL GIVE YOU WHAT THEY CALL FOR TREATMENT OKAY

Mixed state (psychiatry)
From ****pedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Mixed state (psychology))
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is an expansion of a section entitled Mixed_state from within the main article: Bipolar disorder
In the context of mental illness, a mixed state (also known as dysphoric mania or agitated depression) is a condition during which symptoms of mania and depression occur simultaneously (e.g., agitation, anxiety, fatigue, guilt, impulsiveness, insomnia, irritability, morbid and/or suicidal ideation, panic, paranoia, pressured speech and rage). Typical examples include tearfulness during a manic episode or racing thoughts during a depressive episode. Mixed states can be the most dangerous period of mood disorders, during which substance abuse, panic disorder, suicide attempts, and other complications increase greatly

Now how they would treat this episode is

Treatment
Anticonvulsants (aka mood stabilizers) and antidepressants are the traditional medications used in the treatment of bipolar disorder and major depression, respectively. Antidepressants may induce mixed states and rapid cycling; coadministration with an anticonvulsant and/or lithium reduces (but does not eliminate) this risk. Among the anticonvulsants, only lamotrigine (Lamictal®) has strong antidepressant effects. Lamotrigine and lithium (not an anticonvulsant) are the only drugs FDA-approved for the maintenance treatment of bipolar disorder. These are the only "true" mood stabilizers in that they possess antidepressant as well as antimanic properties. Of the two, lamotrigine is the more effective treatment for bipolar depression and lithium is more effective for mania (Calabrese, Vieta & Shelton, 2003).

Mixed states require medication (psychotherapy is best reserved for a more stable period). The anticonvulsant divalproex (Depakote®) is used frequently, particularly when psychotic features are present (MMDT). The atypical antipsychotics (such as clozapine, (Clozaril®) and olanzapine (Zyprexa®)) are also effective. Electroconvulsive therapy may benefit the most severe cases.

hopefully this makes more sence...best to u lynelle

Old 05-11-2006, 10:31 PM   #5
(female)

pinkeetoz HB User

Thank you so much for all of your time Lynelle, I truely appreciate it. Am on Lexapro right now, has helped somewhat, will be probably going on a moodstabilizer tommorrow. Hopefully I'll finally have some relief, pinkeetoz

Old 05-12-2006, 06:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

A common description of a mixed epsiode is having a "tired but wired" feeling where one is revved up, irritable, and restless on the inside (the mania), but can't physically move and is lethargic due to the depression. Also, the person will feel extraordinarily tired but unable to sleep. Many people are also very anxious as well. It's a very contradictory state, and thus, causes many feelings of frustration because of the conflicting symptoms.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Closed Thread