It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2006, 04:30 AM   #1
(female)

novmom HB User
Can nightmares be a sign?

I didn't see this one on the list. I know with reading up on my boy that nightmares can be a sign in children. (And my son does). But just wondering if it's the same in adults?? I myself have *horrific* nightmares that I can not wake up from. These are types of nightmares that if I were to repeat I'd probably be locked up...LOL. I also go through periods where I go through days of not sleeping more than maybe 2 hours a night. My boy's psychiatrist was saying that if your dreaming and you remember your dreams that means you are not getting good enough sleep....but he never really touched base on the nightmare issue. Just was curious if others have really bad dreams??
3 yr old daughter

Old 05-12-2006, 04:39 AM   #2
(female)

mveler HB User
Re: Can nightmares be a sign?

I am not sure Nightmares can be seen as a sign for BPD, Nightmares can have many reasonings behind them.

I personally have "Wake up Screaming" Nightmares once a week or more. Horrid unspeakable nightmares. after speaking with my PSY we found that these nightmares were actually responses to trauma I experienced over the years. She was able to make them all relate. Even the ones I could not connect for nothing!

If you are worried about your nightmares and the meanings behind them you should seek counsol. You may find that they are nothing at all... I hope for your sake they lead to just a bad dream.

HUGGS
Melissa

Last edited by mveler; 05-12-2006 at 04:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2006, 06:08 AM   #3
(male)

harryhaller HB User

I'll tell you my experiences with nightmares, novmom. I'm 52 years old and the pattern with me is that nightmares are almost always a sort of a prelude to an episode of depression. And that's probably about 98 per cent of the time. What's really creepy is that when the depression settles in over me I tend to not sleep particularly well which leads to more bad dreams. Vicious cycle. During the nightmare hangover I'm overly sensitive to almost everything; I feel guilty about things I've done and not done, I become convinced that I'm totally incapable of any kind of close relationship, and on and on to the point rumination.
BPDs tend to be pretty sensitive, I think. And if there is a cause and effect us and our dreaming, then I think it's rather like a Moebius Strip or an infinity symbol-impossible to say where which is which and what starts where.
Here's a little sleeping trick that you might already know. Benedryl. I take these everynight so that I CAN go to sleep. It's got something in it called Diphenhydramine that makes you drowsy. I've been taking two a night for years. I checked with my doctor and he said it's a tried and true method. During the nightmare times I'll take three or even four and it does tend to lessen them or at least allow to not remember or dwell on them.
hope this helps harryhaller

Old 05-12-2006, 07:38 AM   #4
(female)

littletimebomb HB User

I agree with harryhaller. Nightmares and not sleeping could have lots of other causes, but being bipolar, I have to pay close attention to my dreams. Lots of nightmares usually means the same as it does for everyone else, anxiety, fear, etc. Nightmares for me means I'm ignoring something important in my waking life.
When I was with my last bf, I had terrible nightmares about him cheating on me. Really horrible dreams that would have me still upset when I awoke. Turns out, he ended up cheating on me. I think I knew he would all along and my subconscious was trying to tell me. What I dreamed, pretty much exacly happened.
So, pay attention to the trauma your dreams are alerting you to. You might just be worried about your son, or there might be something your brain is trying to tell you.
And keep a dream journal. Sometimes when you start paying attention to what they mean, they go away.
I get really bad nightmares. I always just thought I was sensitive. Is it common with bipolar?
littletimebmb

Old 05-13-2006, 05:59 PM   #5
(female)

novmom HB User

Thank you for the responses!! I guess you can say that with my son's diagnosis, I tend to wonder if I may be *something*...maybe not BP, but something...kwim? My brother is the BP one, so I know hereditary-wise that is where its at in my family line.

I used to have very pleasent dreams. Then about three years ago is when the nightmares started. Without getting into too much detail, there is always blood, guts, gore, death, etc. That is all my dreams are anymore. There are nights that my husband will sleep on the couch because I'm just thrashing around too much in my sleep and I keep him awake. I know I should write these dreams out, but I seriously can't bring myself to write them down. I've also tried to analyze them to see what they mean, but I can't find *anything* that I can try to break them down to.

I went through a period late last year, where I was seriously depressed. To the point where I wasn't thinking of ways to off myself, but I was thinking along the lines of "everyone would be better with out me." etc. This stuff started before my son's actual diagnosis. I make an appointment with the doctor, literally a day or two before the appointment we have my son's diagnosis....I go to the doctor's office. I explain to her how I'm feeling...she asks me what's new at home....I tell her about my son. And that was that.....she basically told me to just accept the diagnosis and I'd start feeling better. She would not listen to the fact that it was a downward spiral that was happening way before this and it wasn't because of my son's diagnosis. I eventually snapped out of it and haven't been that down in awhile. And doing quite well right now...well...besides the nightmares. LOL

Anyways, thanks again for the responses, I appreciate them!
3 yr old daughter

Old 05-13-2006, 06:10 PM   #6
(male)

mefrin HB User

It sounds a little like the symptoms of depression or something of that ilk. You might try taking 5HTP (from HFSs) which might help; it's certainly worthy of a try (no side-effects).

Old 05-13-2006, 08:09 PM   #7
(female)

Lucky Penny HB User

thank you for bringing this up....I'm just now learning about bpd. My dh was recently dxd and since I know it runs in families...I was wondering about my kids. Over the past month or so my 3 yr old son has been screaming "NO" in his sleep. I go in to comfort him and he settles back down again....it was worrying me a bit. Now I guess I really need to watch him more closely.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:11 AM   #8
(male)

mefrin HB User

Regular dreaming of 'blood, guts, gore, and death' symbolically appears like suppressed anger or disappointment somewhere in your life which is affecting you today. It does sound as if you are unable to express the way you feel; almost as if you are harbouring a 'silent scream'. It could possibly suggest that you have a bruised self-image that you seem unable to manage or come to terms with so you begin to feel rotten about yourself which can have further implications in your relationships with others. You probably need guidance from a skilled psychologist to assist in understanding where your problem lies. The off-label use of selegiline citrate can be helpful in making you feel better but it can be expensive. The cheaper alternative is that previously mentioned, 5HTP. This substance raises the level of serratonin (and subsequently melatonin) in the brain which helps to make one feel normal and to sleep better. It is not, however, a cure, so needs to be taken regularly. Try 'Googling' to learn more about those substances and especially their off-label usages.

Closed Thread