It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2006, 11:51 AM   #1
(female)

gotitbad HB User
Bipolar and always tired!

Does anyone else require a ton of sleep (ie 12-13 hours per night) and still feel tired and groggy during the day? I'm not sure if it's my meds, depression or something else? I'm taking Lithium 900mg, Topamax 150mg, Seroqel 200mg, & Lorazepam .5mg at night and Zoloft 200mg & Adderall 25mg in the morning. (I also have an ADHD diagnosis.) I've had this tired problem for 1 1/2 years and been on 24 different drugs during the 9 years I've treated for bipolar. If you can give me any advice I really apreciate it!!

Old 05-18-2006, 11:17 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

cinemachick HB User
Re: Bipolar and always tired!

I too take meds, but even without them I sleep approx 10-12 hours a night and still feel groggy. Does your hours of sleep decrease when your manic? If not, I too sleep the same amount no matter what mood I am in.

I believe it's the depression for myself, but I have always needed more sleep than some people. Thirteen hours is quite a bit. It could possibly be your meds. Have you always required this much sleep?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2006, 01:24 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

Both meds and depression can cause an increase of sleep.

When it comes to meds, your sleep patterns can change with what time you take your meds. Taking your meds in the morning, after noon, evening, etc. and taking them the opposite might help. As well, exercise can actually pump you up.

As for me, I'm a natural hypersomniac. 12-20 hours a day no problem. But when I'm manic, 2 hours tops.

SGH

Old 05-19-2006, 06:56 AM   #4
(female)

gotitbad HB User

Thanks for the help! I definitely require substantially less sleep (5-6 hours) when I'm manic. I am coming out of a long depression, but was hoping to be in a stable state finally. I just can't shake this sleep problem and it is interfering with my ability to work well. My pdoc told me today to decrease the Lithium from 900mg to 600mg and see if that helps. Does anyone else have any other suggestions? I'm really frustrated here! Thanks!

Old 05-19-2006, 07:26 AM   #5
(female)

BP_Puff&Stuff HB User

My doctor recently prescribed Topomax for sleep. I have also been prescribed seroquel for sleep. I (and I'm sorry if I offend) think your doctor was negligent in telling you to reduce your lithium. 900mg is low dose and I cannot see 600mg even being therapeutic. Do you know what you lithium levels are?

Old 05-19-2006, 10:56 AM   #6
(female)

gotitbad HB User

My Lithium levels were in the normal range on 900mg, so I was also concerned about dropping the Lithium. I am also on Topamax 150mg and Seroqel 200mg. How much do you take? Did they make you too tired?

Old 05-22-2006, 08:18 AM   #7
(female)

beforeXdishonor HB User

I'm almost always groggy or tired, even if I take a nap, I'm still lacking energy and everything else.
The sad part is it really doesn't even depend on what time I go to sleep, or how much sleep I get.
Some night I can stay awake in bed for hours, and get up early and be fine up until the next night, and sometimes that can repeat for a few nights/ weeks.
And some day's I'm so groggy I can't even function.
It's so unfair.

Old 05-22-2006, 09:50 AM   #8
(female)

gotitbad HB User

I know how you feel and I'm sorry. It really can be a very powerful disease!

Old 05-22-2006, 10:12 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

coffeegirl2 HB User

This illness can be so debilitaing at times. Frustrating. I too, totally understand as well. Nothing is worse than the days one doesn't want to get out of bed due to the lack of energy. Only, that is when a person realizes it is a new day and knows there is so much to live for. That is why I end up getting out of bed. That doesn't mean I'm a ball of fire because usually I am as slow as a turtle going in reverse.

Coffeegirl

Last edited by coffeegirl2; 05-22-2006 at 10:13 AM.

Closed Thread