It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2006, 10:54 AM   #1
(female)

*Lai* HB User
Carbamazepine

Anyone been on this medication? Is it any good? Did you suffer any side effects, if so, what were they?

My pdoc has suggested i switch to Carbamazepine from Depakote because it doesnt have weight gain as a side effect. But she said its not as good as depakote but its like the next one down.

I'm just alittle worried that i'll get ill again if i switch because its not as effecient as Depakote.
So i would appreciate any comments about the drug.

Thanx You.

xx

ps I also want to try get some deit pills perscribed by my GP and if i do, do you think it would be wise to switch my bipolar meds first and then a month or so later, start the diet pills, just so my system isn't full of pills doing all sorts to my brain. Thanx. xx

Last edited by *Lai*; 05-27-2006 at 10:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2006, 07:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: Carbamazepine

Never heard of that one?

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2006, 08:20 PM   #3
(female)

Strawberry.hill HB User

Are you sure about the diet pills? There are better ways to loose weight.
I know because I have struggled to loose or maintain my weight. It keeps creeping up once in a while. But I have been able to do this without pills.
I have tried starving myself, which is bad because your body holds on to what it has thinking it may starve.
Then I tried low carb, which made me really cranky. The shakes in a can just made me sick, and the diet meals made me gain weight. So I just cut down my portions, and munch on healthier snacks. I don't deprive myself of things I love to eat, I just get a taste. I love chocolate, but I cut down on it by buying bags of small pieces, so I can have a piece if I get a craving. I also love nachos, so (when we were back home) I would just share a plate with my husband and let him eat most of them.
Excersise is great, but I have a harder time getting myself to do that. I tag along with others so we make each other go to the gym.
Maybe while you wait for your prescription you could try these ideas.

I found a brand of shakes that is mostly fiber, and I take vitamins, this helps me loose the excess stuff I don't need. And I need to drink water instead of sodas and juice. But water is really good for loosing weight.

Old 05-29-2006, 11:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kiehn HB User

First I'll answer your question about tegretol, I know someone that tried several other meds that didnt work but tegretol (Carbamazepine) is working just fine. The biggest side effect is it reduces the immunity somewhat, so talking other measures such as
vitamins, eating right, getting plenty of sleep are very important.

Dieting is hard enough without this illness, you can try the diet pills but I think you're on the right track, start with one most likely the tegretol get stable then add the diet pills to see how they effect you. As others have mentioned there are other ways, including that nasty word (that's what I call it) excercise. Good Luck, Kiehn

Old 06-07-2006, 05:46 AM   #5
(female)

Stephanie222 HB User

Hi! My name is Stephanie. I went through several different anti-seizure meds before finally landing on Tegretol. The one prior to Tegretol was Epival, also known as Divalproex. On Epival I gained approx 80 pounds within a 6 month period, but the Doc I had at the time refused to switch meds. I moved. changed Docs and she put me on Tegretol. I began to lose the wieght very quickly on my own. On tegretol you don't crave carbs like the other meds. Do a lot of walking and you will immediatly see the difference. As for diet pills, be very careful. If you use tegretol to control siezures, the diet pills may counteract the effectiveness of the tegretol and cause a siezure. My trick was a lot of green tea, or green tea pills, as well as a vitamin/mineral known as Chromium. Just beware of any diet pills that contain stimulants.
It won't happen overnight. It took me 18 months to lose 80 pounds.
Wishing you the best, I know how you feel,
Stephanie

Old 06-07-2006, 07:53 AM   #6
(female)

*Lai* HB User

Thanx everyone for all your advice and help, i wasnt sure about this medication because i dont think many people have tried it.

Stephanie, did you lose your weight from dieting and exercising? I have tried do to this many times but i lose the will-power after i see how horrible i look in the mirror and feel everything is hopeless. I wanted to try green tea pills but i 'm afraid that they would make me go manic. I'v also heard of chromium and i might try it. I think it helps with suger cravings. I have them really bad and the carb cravings.

I should be changing meds soon, my pdoc tends to long things out abit.

Thanx again for all your help.

Closed Thread