It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2006, 10:28 AM   #1
(female)

Tweetyone HB User
What's the difference between bp 1 and bp 2?

Help what's the difference between bipolar one and bipolar two. My counselor says I'm bipolar two. I'm on medication, it's lamictal. I have ups and downs but doesn't everyone? My pcp doc is the one that dianosed me with bp and sent me to a pshy, but now I'm wondering if he was wrong? Can anyone help me?
Thanks,
Tweetyone/ (Linda)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2006, 11:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

fallen_angel HB User
Re: What's the difference between bp 1 and bp 2?

hi there
im sure there are other people on here who can give you more thorough information, but basically bp 2 is the less severe form of bipolar. The manic episodes are described as being more like "hypomania" which dont always have all of the symptoms. Rapid cycling, which is fast alternating between the depressed and manic episodes, is also more common with bp 2.
its true that everyone has ups and downs but bipolar is much more than that. If you look back over a period of time you may see a pattern emerging. Have you felt better since going on the meds?
Ive just been diagnosed bp but am seeing a pdoc next week to determine which type i have. It can be a hard thing to determine. make sure you discuss any worries or concerns with your pdoc and ask all the questions you need to

Last edited by fallen_angel; 06-11-2006 at 11:36 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2006, 05:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Bipolar II's only experience hypomania and never become full-blown manic. During actual mania, people develop psychotic symptoms, most notably grandiose delusions and hallucinations. In bipolar II, the person never becomes psychotic. It's actually been theorized that bipolar II isn't the less severe form, but that bipolar I is the MORE severe form. Oh, and I'm on Lamictal, too, for my mood swings associated with my Asperger's (I'm not bipolar). It's done wonders for me! I love it!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 06-11-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
(female)

cookikim71 HB User

Biopolar II is when your more depressed and a have milder manic episode hypomanic that full blown episode. Often biopolar 1 is when you are more manic than depressed andthis is considered the most severe form this also includes mixed states which means you can and many times are having both depression and manic symtems at the same time. Many which I am one belive in 3 and 4. 3 would be mixed state and the 4th would be biopolar with mixed states

Last edited by cookikim71; 06-11-2006 at 08:26 PM.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Actually, if you have mixed states, you are classified as bipolar I. There is bipolar III, IV, V, and VI. Bipolar III is bipolar disorder that is induced by the use of an organic substance such as an illegal drug or the use of an anti-depressant (very common). However, the term "bipolar III" is only used to describe how a person developed the condition, but they still will either have bipolar I (full-blown mania) or bipolar II (only hypomania) symptomatology. Bipolar IV is cyclothymia, a very mild form of bipolar disorder where the person is constantly switching from three day periods of mild depression (dysthymia) to hypomania. Bipolar V is unipolar depression in someone who has a large genetic history of bipolar disorder in his/her family. They are classified as bipolar V because they may become (hypo)manic later on, or they may become (hypo)manic while using an anti-depressant, which would then chance their diagnosis to bipolar III. Bipolar VI is unipolar mania. I personally have never heard of any cases of bipolar VI. I think that one would only be given a diagnosis of bipolar VI if their first major episode was one of full-blown mania, and they were put on Lithium or some other medication before they ever had a chance to become severely depressed.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 06-17-2006, 06:36 AM   #6
(female)

Tweetyone HB User
Talking Re: What's the difference between bp 1 and bp 2?

Wow thanks for all the advice. I am bipolar II. I'm not ashamed but I'm really glad that I'm getting a lot of help. I have had four suides in the family, one uncle two nephews, and niece. I geuss it could be hereditary. I'm on lamictal two hundrd fifty and seem to be dong fine. Yes, I'm feeling better on the lamictal but I still have my episodes.
I recently got dischared my optometrist because I lost my temper. I had lasix done and I got so upset with the staff. My appointment was at 7:30 and I never got in until 8:30. This made me so mad I wrote a three page letter to them. I'm wondering now if my bp had anything to do with this?
Now I'm depressed because this has happened. Oh well, I go up and I come down. I think I'm down right now!
Any way thank you all for your come back. It was very much aprreciated.
Just me,
Tweetybird one

Last edited by Tweetyone; 06-17-2006 at 06:38 AM.

Closed Thread