It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2006, 12:20 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User
Unhappy So confused...questions???

Hi all,

I've been dealing with some extreme emotional problems. I don't know if I am just in severe denial, or something else is going on here. I have been dealing with depression for years now. I have constant, sometimes severely violent moodswings. I have never been diagnosed as bipolar or manic, but have been told by many people who have friends who are bipolar that I seem to be. Are the treatments much different from depression, anxiety problems? Should I talk to my counselor about these concerns in case if it would help my treatment?? I don't know I'm really confused about this.

-Vers

Old 06-12-2006, 01:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: So confused...questions???

Yes, the medications used for bipolar disorder are significantly different than those used for unipolar depression and anxiety. For example, SSRI's (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors) such as Prozac and Zoloft are commonly used for unipolar depression and many anxiety disorders, most notably OCD, panic disorder, and GAD. However, people with bipolar disorder cannot only use a SSRI or some other type of anti-depressant by itself as it will almost always induce a (hypo)manic episode. Some people who are bipolar require the use of an anti-depressant/SSRI, but they MUST be used in conjunction with a mood stabilizer and/or anti-psychotic. Often, the most commonly used medications for bipolar disorder are the mood stabilizers Lithium, Depakote, and Tegretol, and the atypical anti-psychotics Risperdal, Zyprexa, and Seroquel. Lithium is often touted as "the" bipolar drug because it was the first medication discovered to work, but as it works best for those with "classic," euphoric, full-blown mania, people who have bipolar II or mixed episodes require a different treatment regiment. Also, people with mixed episodes or those who are acutely manic use the class of anxiety-reducing tranquilizers called benzodiazepines (Valium, Klonopin, Xanax, etc.). Again, even though people with bipolar disorder may use medications used for unipolar depression and anxiety disorders, the mood stabilizers and/or atypical anti-psychotics are what actually treat the (hypo)mania. Hope this helped!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2006, 01:47 PM   #3

December716 HB User

>Lithium is often touted as "the" bipolar drug because it was the first medication >discovered to work, but as it works best for those with "classic," euphoric, full-blown >mania, people who have bipolar II or mixed episodes require a different treatment >regiment.

The above advice is really good, but I just wanted to state that not all people with Bipolar Type II require a different treament. I've been on different regimes but Lithium, in conjunction with an antidepressant, has always worked best for me for treating my Bipolar Type II, even over medicines that are supposed to be better for Type II, like Lamictal.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:59 PM   #4
(female)

gotitbad HB User

You have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain by talking to your counselor and getting a recommendation of a psychiatrist who has experience with bipolar. Make just 1 appointment and get an opinion on your meds., Be very straight forward about your feeling, behaviors, relationships and friends comments. If they are good they will know right away what is going on and give you the proper diagnosis and start a strategy for treatment. It will probably take a while (months) to get the right drug combo, but its worth the wait. Once you are stable, you won't feel this way anymore!

Old 06-12-2006, 02:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

December716- That's what I meant. Usually type II's can't be on just Lithium; they usually need an anti-depressant in conjunction with the Lithium. Lithium by itself is often only seen used by type I's.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 06-12-2006, 07:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User

Thanks so much for the responses. I was hoping that I wasn't bipolar....but I guess it would be nice to finally be better if that's the case. I'm going to talk to my doctor tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Old 06-15-2006, 11:48 AM   #7
(female)

Hurtingoverbp HB User
Vers

I was dating someone who was convinced I was bipolar. He has Bipolar II disorder and got me to go to a psyciatrist I was diagnosed with Cinical depression and I had a lot of anxiety and couldn't sleep. I was put on Lexapro and it's been over 6 months now that I have been off the medication and I am doing fine.

I am glad you are seeing the doctor. I qualified psyciatrist should be able to pin point your troubles.

Closed Thread