It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2006, 09:56 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

fallen_angel HB User
borderline personality disorder

hi everyone
i recently bought the bipolar survival guide on someone's advice and it talks briefly about borderline personality disorder and how this is often mistaken for bipolar. i do have nearly all the symptoms of it and am wondering if i could have this instead of, or aswell as, bipolar.I definitely have the mood swings of bipolar and am still 99.9% sure my diagnosis is correct, but just wondered. could anyone tell me anything about borderline personality disorder and if they have ever got this and bipolar confused
many thanks

Old 06-13-2006, 10:17 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

cinemachick HB User
Re: borderline personality disorder

I don't know why this is, but I heard a lot of people think that they are borderline. Myself at one time thought this was so. The criteria is so broad that anyone with a mental illness seems to fit the description. I think many bipolars have some of the symptoms of borderline but it must not be enough to get diagnosed.

You may have it, so it would be a good idea to discuss the symptoms of it with your doctor. Obviously, if you have symptoms of it, those symptoms are bothering you, so you should get help with those.

I'm schizoaffective bipolar, but I do have some symptoms of borderline. Whether they are to the degree of getting diagnosed, I wouldn't know unless a professional told me.

For example: my boyfriend has tried to leave me several times, but I have threatened suicide in a desperate attempt to keep him, I think in black and white terms, I have a poor view of myself (maybe caused by bipolar), I binge eat, I self-harm and have frequent SI, obviously I have dramatic mood swings, I am constantly bored of life, I have rages, and I am paranoid.

A lot of what I said relates to bipolar as well. I think the major difference between bipolar and borderline is that borderline is marked by a severe lack of identity and splitting (black/white thinking such as idealization and devaluation in a relationship).

If this sounds true to you, then by all means, tell your doctor about it.

Take care and good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2006, 10:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kiehn HB User

Hi Fallen Angel (love your name)
I dont know about borderline personality disorder, but I do know I was first dx as schizophenzia but the meds didnt help the symptoms so they tried me on Lithium and it reduced the symptoms considerably. However over the years I have often wondered if there is more to my DX. I hope someone else has more info for you. K

Old 06-13-2006, 10:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

fallen_angel HB User

thank you to you both for your replies, i agree mental health illnesses are certainly difficult to identify and diagnose, as its such a wide area with many symptoms that could apply to several illnesses.
the main thing that applied to me with borderline was relationship issues, ive clung to every relationship ive had and have a lot of issues with men walking away from me, but i think a lot of that goes back to my father having several affairs in my childhood and not being around. ive also self harmed, binge eaten, had problems with alcohol and serious problems with over spending, if its destructive ive done it. i cant really relate to the black/white thing, not consciously anyway. im not sure about the identity issues either, although sometimes i feel like i dont know who i am or where i want to be, but then i think most people feel like that from time to time.
i can see why bipolar and borderline get easily confused, and i know some people can have both.
Cinemachick can i ask what schizoaffective bipolar is? im still trying to gain knowledge as i only origianally thought there were 3 types but have heard of a lot more on here,
thanks

Old 06-13-2006, 07:16 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

cinemachick HB User

Schizoaffective is a mood disorder with schizophrenic tendencies. In my case for example, I am paranoid, but since I am paranoid no matter what mood I am in, I am not bipolar with psychosis. There are two types of schizoaffective: depressive and bipolar type.

This also tends to get confused with bipolar, borderline, and even ADD. My boyfriend did a paper once on how these were often misdiagnosed. Everyone I have talked to agree that bipolar is overdiagnosed, that it could be possible borderline, ADD, or something else. I think thats why we sometimes doubt our diagnosis, because there are so many more issues that we have like psychosis or personality disturbances. We may also search for a different diagnosis because we are still in denial of being bipolar/schizoaffective.

Thanks to that paper I was able to tell you all that I could about borderline. It's very interesting how all these disorders' symptoms can overlap and cause this confusion.

Good luck and take care,
Cinemachick

Old 06-13-2006, 07:28 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

It's interesting how you bring up how difficult it is to differentiate bipolar from borderline. I can see the concerns and since I am new here would be interested on what meds would be effective in treating both if any. Would a mood stabilizer be the drug of choice for borderline??? And what charactersitics would we see in borderline vs. bipolar II???

I appreciate any info since we are trying to figure this all out with my 14 year old daughter. As you may know, I personally see alot of Bipolar II such as the irritability, agitation, impulsiveness towards risky behaviors, promiscuity, and increased consumption of carbs & sweets. Some of the things that I see that may be borderline are self injury (cutting) and the ability to manipulate and blame others for the things that they do with little or no remorse or understanding of how their behavior affects others.

I do not want a misdiagnosis and wonder what if she is treated for bipolar and actually does have borderline...will that make things worse???

Thanks for any feedback ~ Goody

Old 06-13-2006, 07:57 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

strongernow HB User

I always wondered what blame and manipulation meant to counselors and clinicians. Does anybody know? Because I believe that the people in your environment could just be rude and awful and hard to deal with and if I blamed those people for making me have a bad day which I do a lot is that manipulation?

Old 06-13-2006, 08:17 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Hi, Stronger I think what is generally manipulative behavior is when you say to somebody that you want to be respected and you ask the person not to smoke in your car and they ignore you and later on tell you that they were not being disrespectful because they didn't take you seriously because if you were serious you should have pulled over and hit the cigarette out of their hand!!! OR saying that they had to sleep on a park bench because you didn't pick up the phone when they called but failed to leave a message on your voicemail and they told you that they had a ride home from the movies with a friend. OR saying that you are paranoid/crazy when you check on them hearing voices in their room and find that your suspicions were right when a friend is hiding in the closet. It's as if they displace or project the blame on you for their wrongdoings because they are unable to admit for some reason that they are doing something wrong.

I hope that clarifies things....there is a big difference in having a bad day and getting upset with somebody than blaming them for your poor choices. I guess that is what I meant.

~ Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 06-13-2006 at 08:18 PM.

Old 06-13-2006, 11:43 PM   #9
(female)

MSLAINIE HB User

Cinemachick,
My Son Has Bipolar And My Daughter Has Adhd. There Are Overlapping Symptoms So At First It Is Not Clear. She Was Having Trouble In School And Was Told She Was Very Slow In 1st Grade. Well I Had Her Tested And She Is Above Average And Couldnt Sit Still. She Is Now Going In 8th Grade
And With Help Of Certa She Does Well In School. (when She Wants)
My Son He Is Different He Is 15 And I Didnt Have A Problem Until Last Year
8th Grade. He Was Irriability, Freq Out Of School, Cutting, Social Isolation Always Sad And Then Severe Changes And I Figured Out He Wasnt
Sleeping For Many Night In A Row, He Started Talking A Mile A Minute And Being Overly Silly And Elated I Thought He Was Drinking.
Ms Lainie

Old 06-14-2006, 03:22 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

strongernow HB User

goody2shuz - I am still confused. Can you dumb it down a shade? And other people should chime in to. I had a anger managment therapist insenuate that I was manipulative after I said that my feelings were hurt because of .... and I think I've heard a counselor say I can't blame my problems onto people when I was talking about how a certain supervisor was being rude and arrogant to me but in no way did it hinder my work performance, I only felt really angry and depressed about it. So I was confused for months and I still am lol. What is blame and manipulation really and what is flat out I am angry because so and so is being rude and bothersome.

Old 06-14-2006, 08:23 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Stronger....when somebody manipulates a situation it is almost making excuses for doing something that they wanted to do but were asked not to do by another and when confronted make up some type of excuse to warrant their behavior.

It's like when you are told not to use the cellphone to call friends and then you are reprimanded fwhen found talking on the phone with a friend and you say....."but you told me that I couldn't use my cellphone not the house phone!!!" That is manipulation...it is finding a way to get what you want and making up excuses rather than admitting your mistake.

I hope that I dumbed it down enough for ya ~ Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 06-14-2006 at 08:24 PM.

Closed Thread