It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2006, 08:06 PM   #1
(female)

Kymtnms HB User
Question Stopping Depakote

My pdoc got my blood test results back today and told me to stop taking the depakote immediately. The pancreas reading was way too high. I asked him about withdrawal effects from stopping abruptly but he was vague, he said I may or may not experience them. I checked the Depakote website but it all it says is stopping it abruptly could cause seizures in people taking it for seizures. I would love to know what to expect. Has anyone else stopped this medication abruptly? Did it cause any side effects?

Old 06-23-2006, 03:43 PM   #2
(female)

*Lai* HB User
Re: Stopping Depakote

I will be stopping depakote after i see my GP on july 3rd. I have been taking it for almost 12 months now and i am on 500mg. I dont think there is a lower dose, so i will be stopping it straight away and then switching to my new medication (cabamazepine).

I am worried about gettin any nasty side effects so i'm going to talk to the GP before i stop.

Do you take Depakote for Bipolar?? Because i dont think it will cause you to have siesures if you are not taking it for that. I'm not sure tho.

I will let you know how i get on and i will try to remember to ask him about any side effects and then get back to you. What dosage are you on? I think because of your pancreas reading it would be wise to stop the depakote, but ask if there is any way to reduce it and lower your reading.

xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2006, 03:20 PM   #3
(female)

Kymtnms HB User

Lai,
Thanks for responding! Yes I do take it for BP. He switched me to trileptal when he told me to stop the depakote but haven't started it yet. I'm waiting to see how I do coming off the depakote. I hate it when the doctors change out like that because you can't tell if your having side effects from the new one or withdrawals from the old one. I've experience bad tremors the past 2 days but that may be not have a thing to do with coming off the the depakote because I also have MS. I've warned everyone around me that if I have a seizure that is why just in case. I'll let you know the outcome in the next couple of days.

Lynne

Old 06-24-2006, 09:48 PM   #4
(female)

Gobsmacked HB User

My son was on 500mg depakote er for over 2 yrs(he is 12). I had to wean him off this summer due to not having a dr. anymore. The most noticable side effect was irritability and a bit of nausea. We were surprised to find out that the depakote may have actually been the cause of some of his aggression. Good Luck! I found a lot of information on withdrawal just by doing a search.

Old 06-26-2006, 07:33 PM   #5
(female)

angelsent725 HB User

My five year old son was on depakote for about three or four months. At first it helped a lot, and although he wasn't as bad as he had been before taking depakote, some of the symptoms did return. My doctor automatically switched him to trileptal, he did not wean him, he said it wasn't necessary. He had no bad side effects either. He was the greatest little boy for the first month on trileptal. And although that month is over, he still is definetely a lot better than any of the other meds hes taken, and he has been on several.

Old 06-27-2006, 04:14 AM   #6
(female)

Kymtnms HB User

This is day 5 without the depakote. So far the only problems I'm having are insomnia and restless legs which I do suffer from every now and then so will see how tonight goes. All of your replies have certainly eased my mind about stopping it. Thanks!

Old 06-27-2006, 04:40 AM   #7
(female)

beforeXdishonor HB User

I have never taken depakote, but I did just up and stop Zyprexa after only a month and got twitches in my right eye and thumb, that lasted for a couple of months. It was the only thing I have experienced, but you have to remember, you are coming off of a narcotic, so a little bit of side effect would be expected.

It is very wise to get off the Depakote if your pancrease readings are high, Like most of the meds, it can cause pancrease failure. Not to scare you, I'm sure it isn't incredibly serious for you or you would be in the hospital, but it can lead to that if you keep taking it.

Research as much as you possibly can, and look for free nurse hotlines online. Don't be afraid to get other oppinions from professionals.

Closed Thread