It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2006, 05:04 PM   #1
(female)

jessiojess HB User
Thumbs up Started my medication "Depakote ER" today!! Had some Questions???

So just got home from the doctors and was put on depakote. I was curious what the side effects were so i can know what to look for? Also I was wondering how long it would take for me to feel a difference in my moods? Thanks to anyone who is on this medication and can give me a little heads up!

Last edited by jessiojess; 06-29-2006 at 05:07 PM.

Old 06-29-2006, 06:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kiehn HB User
Re: Started my medication "Depakote ER" today!! Had some Questions???

Ive heard depaokote works very well, the best problem is weight gain, significant weight gain. Good Luck, K

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2006, 07:27 PM   #3
(female)

gotitbad HB User

Depakote does work for some people, but did nothing for me. It takes a month or two to get to a theraputic level if I remember correctly, so be patient. Good luck.

Old 06-29-2006, 07:57 PM   #4

Runningbunny HB User

Depakote ER is supposed to have fewer side effects than regular Depakote. I just switched from regular Depakote to Depakote ER two weeks ago. I switched because I was having major gastrointestinal side effects. The gastrointestinal side effects have stopped with the Depakote ER. I also like the Depakote ER better because I don't feel as sleepy in the morning and I feel better throughout the day with a more constant level of the Depakote ER.

I haven't experienced weight gain with Depakote. Not everyone does. However, it does seem a bit harder to lose weight on Depakote. I am training for a 10 mile race in October and I am trying to lose 10 pounds. I am losing weight but at a much slower rate than I think I would be if I wasn't on the Depakote.

Overall, Depakote has been a good mood stabilizer for me. Depakote ER is much better than regular Depakote.

Good luck!

Old 06-29-2006, 08:53 PM   #5
(female)

jessiojess HB User

Thanks so much Running Bunny for the info. I appriciate all the information that I can get! I love that people actually respond to your questions on this message board its great!

Old 06-30-2006, 07:05 AM   #6
(female)

*Lai* HB User

Hi, i'v been on depakote for almost 12 months now. I cant remember how long it took to make a diffeerence in my mood because at the time i started the medication i was in hosptial going through a very severe manic phase. I think it must have been about a month before i felt any different.

I was put on 1000mg originally but after i was discharged and was on it for a few months, i reduced the dosage myself to 500mg a day because i was getting upset about all the hair loss i was suffering and the weight gain.
After i reduced the dosage, i didnt suffer any hair loss but i kept gaining weight.

I have gained almost 50lbs and it has made me extreamly depressed.
So i'm due to change to carbemazapine on monday and hopefully lose the weight.

I also suffered from extreme tierdness and occasional gastrointestinal side effects.

But i think if you keep busy and monitor your side effects you should be ok. Weight gain was a major side effect for me, so if you find yourself gaining weight, keep a food diary and see if you can identify if your medication is causing any gain weight and if your appetite is changing.

I hope this was helpful in some way. I dont want to make you worry about being on the medication because of all the side effects i have mentioned but i just didnt like it at all, the side effects were awful for me. Although i have not experienced any mania in the last 12 months, i cant cope with the depression form the weight gain.

xx

Old 06-30-2006, 09:30 AM   #7
(female)

crmun HB User

My husband took depakote (not ER) for a year. He gained alot of weight. It seemed to work well for the mania, but he still got depressed. I am guessing that the weight gain didn't help with the depression. He used to run 5 miles every morning, and bike 60+ miles on the weekend. He has always been very athletic, even rode his bike on a leg of the Tour De France over 100 miles per day through the Pyrennes three years ago. He had a hard time getting motivated to do anything while on the Depakote.
I have heard that Depakote is very effective for alot of bipolars, but the weight gain sucks.

Old 06-30-2006, 09:31 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

I would really keep an eye on your weight, especially during the first month or two. My son, who has never had a weight problem his entire life, gained 30 pounds during his first month on Depakote while eating the same diet as before. He didn't even realize it was happening until suddenly, none of his pants fit. It may not happen to you, but it's good to be aware that it does happen to some!! Good luck to you.

Old 06-30-2006, 10:24 PM   #9
(female)

MSLAINIE HB User

You Know Jess,
I Wish With My Son Who Is Bipolar I Would Have Kept A Log. For Me
And Doc To Go Thru All The Questions And How Me Or My Son Was
Feeling.. You Know By Time You Get To Docs I Know Me With All
Going On I Forget Things.
So Get A Copy Book Nothing Fancy And Write Things In It. It May
Some Dumb But Later It Could Help You, Your Doc's, You Never
Know.
Mslainie

Closed Thread