It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2006, 02:55 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

coffeegirl2 HB User
Exclamation My family and respite

Okay, I have spent the past hour on the phone with a rep discussing terms about Respite Care for our sons. We had Respite in 2002 due to my mental illness, my sons' mental illness', and for the fact they were very young at that time. Now, my pdoc is wanting Respite asap but there is a long waiting list just to get put on the waiver (very normal).

Why am I whiney and upset? When I brought it up that I had a mental illness and inquired if that would get us closer to the top of the list, she came back with this response and in a very rude, and snide way "If you were smart, you would keep it to yourself about who you told of your mental illness. Infact it will get you moved further down the line, and hurt you more than help you." Grrr.. Who is right? Her or the social worker who helped me previously in 2002? So, I am calling another social worker in the same office- a third party tomorrow to ask the same quesion and see what kind of response I get- Just because I am so upset!

Stigma. It really sucks. And, it was not what I needed today. Last night my sons were so naughty, disruptive, harmful, aggressive, etc., and there is no break except knowing school is around the corner. How sad is that? Hubby and I both thought we were going to lose our marbles with them. MIL and my mom just tell us- 'boys will be boys', though MIL sometimes gets it about the ADHD, when it comes to the RAD issues; she is oblivious and makes up blatent excuses for them, usually blaming us for their issues. grrr.

Do I have reason to complain? You bet!

Sorry for the long post. I really needed to talk. Right now. I'm very emotional, and cycling, have been cycling all weekend and my nerves are just very frail; too frail. Eating the Lorzephan; 2-3 pills/day now.

Coffeegirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User
Re: My family and respite

Awwww.....Coffeegirl, I am sooo sorry that you are going through such a difficult time. I can't even imagine what you are going through having two boys with their own mental health issues on top of your own.....I am barely managing without having my own issues. The stress must be unbelievable and we all know how stress just is the worst thing to have when one is Bipolar. You do need the respite care and your doctor was wonderful in suggesting it. He obviously cares for you and I would ignore what that lousy social worker said to you.....she had no right saying such a thing to you and if she really understood mental illness and respected all that you are doing to keep your boys and yourself well she would have never said such a thing.

Unfortunately, there are ignorant people in this world that give all the good ones a bad rap. So hang in there and realize that right around the corner is another angel who will come to your rescue.

I hope that your cycling settles down....try your hardest to alleviate the stress and get the sleep that you need and take care of yourself so that you can do your best for your boys. You need the respite care...perhaps you should call your doctor and see if he could think of a quicker way of getting it for you.

(((((HUGS)))))), Coffeegirl, you are special because the good Lord knew that when he gave you those boys that you had the heart and strength to give them the best. Hang in there and know that you are in my thoughts & prayers. ~ Goody

Closed Thread