It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2006, 01:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

JenW67 HB User
Lamictal and weight gain

I know people here post this kind of question all the time but have any of you experienced a lot of weight gain on Lamictal? I think it is supposed to be weight-neutral. I am also on Seroquel and Celexa. I have been on Celexa for years and never gained weight. The Seroquel and Lamictal cocktail is about 7 months old now.

Thanks,

Jen

Old 08-15-2006, 01:40 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User
Re: Lamictal and weight gain

Hi, Jen.....I would be interested in knowing that as well. My daughter is on Ripserdal and has had some weight gain which she is not happy about....when it came time to choose a mood stabilizer we chose Lamictal not only for it's great side effect profile but also because of it being one of the very few meds that DOES NOT cause weight gain.

My daughter only started Lamictal yesterday. How are you doing on the Seroquel as far as weight gain??? And how long have you been on the Lamictal??? If you are wondering if you will get a weight gain with Seroquel vs. Lamictal I would guess it was the Seroquel from what I have researched.

When I researched Risperdal it said it was wieght neutral and yet my daughter gained weight. So basically every person is different with meds so while one person doesn't gain with a particular med another will!!

~ Goody

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2006, 01:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JenW67 HB User

I too just looked at more info on the net and it seems as if Lamictal may not be the wieght gain culprit. It seems as if it may be the Seroquel. I eat really well and exercise all the time but seem to put on a few pounds each month.

I am going to call my doctor.

-Jen

Old 08-15-2006, 05:47 PM   #4
(male)

ShoelessTroy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by goody2shuz
Hi, Jen.....I would be interested in knowing that as well. My daughter is on Ripserdal and has had some weight gain which she is not happy about....when it came time to choose a mood stabilizer we chose Lamictal not only for it's great side effect profile but also because of it being one of the very few meds that DOES NOT cause weight gain.

My daughter only started Lamictal yesterday. How are you doing on the Seroquel as far as weight gain??? And how long have you been on the Lamictal??? If you are wondering if you will get a weight gain with Seroquel vs. Lamictal I would guess it was the Seroquel from what I have researched.

When I researched Risperdal it said it was wieght neutral and yet my daughter gained weight. So basically every person is different with meds so while one person doesn't gain with a particular med another will!!

~ Goody

I gained 30 pounds while I was taking Risperdal. During the month that I stopped taking it, I lost 15 pounds. I've been taking Lamictal for about 2 weeks and haven't gained a pound.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:28 PM   #5
(female)

the_technogoat HB User

jen, when i was thirteen and prescribed seroquel (no other meds), i gained 20 pounds in a week. i have recently been prescribed lamictal, and i have a much smaller appetite than i usually do. i think seroquel may likely be the culprit. good luck.

Old 08-16-2006, 11:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I think I may have gained weight from the Lamictal, but I don't really know. I think it was mostly from the SSRI's that I took. They have screwed me up permanently...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 08-17-2006, 05:40 AM   #7
(female)

jen1008 HB User

When I was first diagnosed over 2 years ago, I was put on Risperdal and Lamictal. . . I gained weight which is doubly bad for me as I am recovering from an eating disorder as well and very sensitive about weight. My pdoc took me off the Risperdal after only 1 month. I lost the weight almost immediately. I have been on Lamictal for the last 2 years and have had no problems with weight at all. I seriously doubt it is the Lamictal - I heard seroquel causes weight gain

Old 08-17-2006, 02:41 PM   #8
(male)

ShoelessTroy HB User

I gained 30 pounds while I was taking Risperdal, I've recently switched to Lamictal and have lost 15 of those pounds. Risperdal was the devil.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:53 PM   #9
(female)

suzannecaroline HB User

I think it causes weight gain, but thats me personally. My brother is on lithium and has had no weight gain. I take Lamictal and feel like I put on 5-10 pounds, which for me is alot. It makes my appetite stronger.

Closed Thread