It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2003, 10:41 PM   #1
Veteran

EMMANUEL HB User
Question Talking to yourself?

Hi,
since I was very little I have talked to myself..like little imaginary conversations with real people in my life, who just aren't present at the time of these "conversations." I am completely aware that these people aren't there..I'm not hallucinating(I don't see or hear things). anyway, I was just wondering if any of you guys do this? Is this a symptom of bipolar?
I know it's odd, but does it mean I have BP?
Thanks

Peace

~*Emma*~

Old 01-03-2003, 11:53 AM   #2
Inactive

silverwill HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by EMMANUEL:
Hi,
since I was very little I have talked to myself..like little imaginary conversations with real people in my life, who just aren't present at the time of these "conversations." I am completely aware that these people aren't there..I'm not hallucinating(I don't see or hear things). anyway, I was just wondering if any of you guys do this? Is this a symptom of bipolar?
Thanks

ALL the time!! I don't know if it's a symptom. It makes me feel better to tell the people stuff when they're not there than to say it to their face sometimes (because of hurting feelings, etc.) I don't really think it's that odd.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2003, 02:35 PM   #3
Veteran

EMMANUEL HB User
Hi,
thanks for replying...I know it's a little strange, but it's not like I see people or think it's real, so I never worry that much about it. Still, i'm glad to know that someone else does it too.
Once, my therapist told me to actually DO it(I had never told her that I did). She told me to do it to vent, so I wouldn't snap at people, and I'd be able to talk to them rationally about my feelings, because I'd get all the negative/irrational,angry stuff out of my system. So, maybe that's why we do it.
I'm not diagnosed with BP..are you?
I kind of think it's over diagnosed these days. It seems like everyone has it, and they all are on so many meds, which never make them better. It's so sad;I have friends who have it, and either they get worse on the meds, or they stop working, or they can't deal with side effects.
Anyway, thanks for responding

Peace

~*Emma*~

Old 01-04-2003, 08:26 PM   #4
Inactive

silverwill HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by EMMANUEL:
Hi,
thanks for replying...I know it's a little strange, but it's not like I see people or think it's real, so I never worry that much about it. Still, i'm glad to know that someone else does it too.
Once, my therapist told me to actually DO it(I had never told her that I did). She told me to do it to vent, so I wouldn't snap at people, and I'd be able to talk to them rationally about my feelings, because I'd get all the negative/irrational,angry stuff out of my system. So, maybe that's why we do it.
I'm not diagnosed with BP..are you?
I kind of think it's over diagnosed these days. It seems like everyone has it, and they all are on so many meds, which never make them better. It's so sad;I have friends who have it, and either they get worse on the meds, or they stop working, or they can't deal with side effects.
Anyway, thanks for responding
I agree with the talking to yourself so you don't flip out on the person thing. It's stopped me from punching a few people.

Yes, I was diagnosed with BP, & no I don't think I actually have it. (Neither does my family Dr.--he thinks I have a hormone problem that has given me symptoms of BP. The meds I'm on don't work right. I need tests, but I have no insurance...sux. I just want a real diagosis--based on actual tests.)

Old 01-05-2003, 11:16 PM   #5

camjean HB User
Hi- I just wanted to say that I have conversations like that all the time. It's usually the kind of coversations I WISH I could have with certain people, but I don't have the guts to. I think it's because I'm lonely and I don't have any really good friends. My boyfriend is great- a good listener, and tries to be understanding- but it's not enough. I wish I had someone who I could talk to about EVERYTHING and not feel like I'm going to be judged- and so that is why I must have fake conversations. I haven't been diagnosed with BP- I have been on anti-depressants for a long time- but I think sometimes that I might be BiPolar.

Old 01-06-2003, 12:32 PM   #6

*OneStepCloser* HB User
Lol, yes I do this all of the time. Especially when I am mad. It seems so much easier to curse someone when they are not present and I can't hurt their feelings. I don't think it's weird at all. I know lots of people that do it.

Larissa

------------------
-Kind words are short and easy to speak but their echos are truly endless.
-Friends are like bras, they give lots of support.

Old 01-06-2003, 09:13 PM   #7
Veteran

EMMANUEL HB User
Hi guys,
I feel so much more normal now!

I think I do it b/c I'm lonely too, sometimes.

Hey, didn't Tom Hanks talk to himself when he was stranded on an island? LOL. Maybe it's just human nature when you're lonely to do this.

Peace

~*Emma*~

Old 12-05-2003, 10:33 PM   #8
(female)

Mikayyla HB User
Re: Talking to yourself?

Yes yes yes!!! It's so nice to see that another bipolar does the same thing!! I've done the same exact thing my whole life. It's like I'm talking to "(whoever)" about something that's on my mind that I wish I could talk about or anticipate the subject being brought up. It's like I'm venting or rehearsing. I used to think it was from loneliness. Could it be a bipolar thing?

Old 12-06-2003, 12:49 AM   #9

my2cents HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMANUEL
Hi,
Thanks
Have read many books on bipolar (manic-depression) disorder. They all agree on symptoms and none specifically mentioned talking to yourself. As far as I know we all do this, just it is usually done inside our heads. Some of us do it orally. It sounds like you are doing it within the normal boundaries of mental health, especially if that is your only symptom. You are probably just rehearsing what you want to say.

Classic symptoms include: elevated mood (high for weeks at a time), depressed for weeks or months, moody, insomnia, irritable, moods that don't match circumstances (ie. happy during serious conversation, sad during funny conversation).

There are thousands of books on manic-depression available(from 30 to 500 pages long), you can read them in any good library. Don't be afraid to ask your doctor.

Old 12-06-2003, 03:28 PM   #10

u2fran HB User

I talk to myself alot. Usually if I'm upset or worried about something or if I'm thinking too much, I will think outloud, and talk to myself . Sometimes I direct the comments to my dog. And he knows it's not weird,lol. Sometimes I have to go outside or somewhere in public, in order to stop talking, I do think it isn't weird and I;m glad that other people do that too.

Old 12-06-2003, 04:28 PM   #11
(male)

Lectus HB User

I do this too. Not that I'm speaking aloud when I'm doing it, mind you, but in my daydreams. Sometimes they're angry conversations that end in punching empty air, other times they're intelligent and insightful. I find it difficult to be as lucid in person as I am in my daydreams, which seems very weird to me. I come off as oafish and a bit stupid in person. I can never elucidate aloud (and sometimes on paper) on concepts that I can grasp perfectly well in my thoughts.

I'm almost always pacing when I'm having these daydreams and sometimes when I'm especially excited, my ears get blood red. I dunno, guess that's a kinda random thing to mention, but would be interesting if anyone else gets that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lectus For This Useful Post:
roddy36 (02-17-2011)
Old 12-07-2003, 09:02 PM   #12

VeryOldLady HB User

I don't talk to imaginary people...I type. Strange thing is, I actually get replies.

Everyone talks to themselves and it's not a bipolar thing. The only insane people are those who are afraid to admit it and then feel good about themselves when other people do.

Old 12-08-2003, 04:01 PM   #13

sunny30 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMANUEL
Hi,
Thanks
Hello there. My ten year old son talks to himself all the time. I know kids do this and they have active imagination while playing . My son usually does this using real life characters. Often about his dad and himself .Very agressive words and saying things off the wall. He has recently been diagnosed with Bp. He is aware the people arent there as well. I think it may be more of a role playing , saying things that he would not say to his fathers face or other people .

Old 12-09-2003, 08:23 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User
Wink Re: Talking to yourself?

I do this ALL the time!!!
I don't know if it is a bipolar thing or not but it certainly seems like it may be normal. Or at least, semi-not-abnormal? I've seen this question posted on other boards with the same results. Then again these are mental health boards, LOL.
I seem to talk about events that have happened, especially funny ones. And I seem to talk about it over and over exactly the same way, smiling and laughing to nobody. And I whisper, too. I don't talk aloud, I whisper. It's a little weird.
And yes, I was diagnosed bipolar and I definitely agree with the diagnosis. But I hear my sister, who is not bipolar, do this all the time.
Kristina

Old 12-09-2003, 11:44 AM   #15

Steve_the_elf HB User

I have conversations with friends and relatives when they are not around almost continously when I am working by myself. It MAY be related to the BP for someone of us, because I know I do it almost obsessively when depressed or manicky, but do it much less when feeling normal. I think, then, that it is more due to the fact that I have feelings to express very strongly during those times.

Closed Thread