It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2006, 08:45 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User
On Lithium? What do you take for Headaches?

I should be able to figure this out, but while I have read what I should NOT take for a headache, I'm never sure what IS O.K....
By Brand name if possible!!
I still take Aleve because it works but I know it's on the list of no-no's. I just can't figure out what Brand name products to pluck off the shelf.
Anyone saying ibuprofin, salycitic acid, acetominophen, etc. will be testing my ability to figure out what they are saying I can use!!
(I honestly have a pretty good IQ, but stuff like this hits my Dead Zone and goes kerplunk right to the bottom!!)
Thanks for the elder care everyone!
Ruth

Old 09-07-2006, 09:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

fallen_angel HB User
Re: On Lithium? What do you take for Headaches?

Hi Ruthie,
I have experienced problems in finding suitable painkillers for both headaches and period pains, (which i suffer quite badly with each month) since being put on lithium.
To my knowledge, anyone taking lithium should NOT take anything from the NSAID group of drugs, which includes both ibuprofen and aspirin. These can increase the risk of lithium toxicity plus cause possible stomach bleeding.
Ive been told both paracetemol and co-codamol (paracetemol and codeine) are ok to take. A stronger version of co-codomal is also available on prescription. Sorry i cannot give brand names as im from the UK so they would probably be different over here.
I was told by my pdoc that a couple of ibuprofen are month should be safe to take if absolutely needed, but that she wouldnt encourage it and that i would need to have my lithium levels checked again afterwards.
As you are talking specifically about headaches, i can recommend a natural product called "4head" that we have here in the UK, its a treatment stick that is rubbed across the forehead and ive found it works wonders. I know it is available in the U.S but under a different name, ive actually seen adverts for it flash up on this website. So that might be worth trying if you havent already
~Fallen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2006, 01:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks!
I looked up paracetemol and found that it is acetiminophen (Tylenol) here.
Still pretty sure my Aleve (naproxin) is actually a no-no.
I actually get pleurisy regularly and Aleve is one of the stronger over the counter anti-inflammatories that I can use when my lungs are inflamed.

Anyone else want to help out this old headache prone menopausal
arthritic ???

Old 09-07-2006, 08:18 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Hi, Ruth Golly geeeez just when I thought I could come up with something to help you out and reciprocate all that you have done to help me I find myself falling short!! I did some investigating and honestly couldn't find a med that I would feel comfortable recommending to you!!!

Everything seems to increase the chances of raising the levels of Lithium....even the tylenol. I guess it is because most of the analgesics are heavy on the liver AND surprisingly in my research Lithium is often used to treat headaches and migraines!!!

I am sorry my friend, this is one of those times that, like you, I feel helpless in providing you with a remedy.

I have read that aromatherapy with oils such as Lavendar and Citrus oils help with headaches and may be something you would like to look further into. And it may help relax you as well.

I find that when I get a headache particularly in the frontal area (forehead) an icepack often helps.

I hope you find some relief.

Always thinking of you and ready to send you ((((HUGS)))) ~ Goody

Old 09-08-2006, 02:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

That deserves a big "E" for effort Goody!!
Unfortunately, I am more bothered by "smells" then I am with the headache.
Some odors (good & bad) will actually GIVE me a headache!!
If it wasn't for being so turned off my their ads, I would try that "headon" stuff..

Guess I'll stick with Aleve as needed since everything has been ok so far..
Thanks

Old 09-08-2006, 02:56 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

princesspea HB User

Thanks for the hug Ruth! Don't take Aleve!!!! The only thing you can take is Tylenol. I was on lithium for years. I know what I'm talking about! I love you!

Love,

Jamie

Old 09-08-2006, 03:16 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

gav_73 HB User

Ruth,

I take Tylenol PM at night to help me sleep, and my doc said that was OK. So, I know for sure that Tylenol is fine, so is Benadryl, which is the "sleepy" part of Tylenol PM, both are OK to take.

Old 09-08-2006, 03:16 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

princesspea HB User

Sorry Ruth If my last post sounds like an order! I was trying to catch you while you where still online. Aleve is a big NO-NO ! You don't Want to wait until you get a reaction...tisk...tisk...tisk... Why not ask your doc for something for alittle stronger that has tylenol in it but, nothing too strong. There's all kinds of stuff out there that they didn't have when I was taking Lithium but, not much new over the counter that you can take. It's like tylnol and all that stuff the drug companies are going to wring every penny out of it from prescriptions before they put it over the counter.

Like I said before I love you Ruth.

Love,

Jamie

Old 09-08-2006, 06:06 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank You Thank You Thank You!
PrincessPea, I will be calling you Princess"Pie" from now on cause you are as sweet as pie!!!
And thanks for the 2nd on that Gav!
They probably have an arthritis strength Tylenol for my ol' bones I imagine!!

The only time I may have to use aleve is for the pleurisy since I don't think the Tylenol has any anti-inflammatory properties.

You guys here are the best of the best at Healthboards in my book!!
Ruth

Old 09-08-2006, 07:29 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

coffeegirl2 HB User

Ruth~

Are you feeling any better? It sounds like you must be very miserable of lately with the headaches.

Thinking of you.

((((HUGS))))

Coffeegirl

Old 09-08-2006, 07:42 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Hey, cybertwin When I picked up Erin's Lamictal at the pharmacy today the pharmacist had been so helpful that I asked her what she would recommend taking with Lithium for a headache. ( I told her that my sister was on it and needed something for a headache ) And of course she said Tylenol so I guess it's time to get rid of the Aleve!!!

And BTW, who says you need eldercare....you're a spring chicken in my eyes but of course we're twins so I guess you'd appear to be younger in my eyes!!!

((((HUGS)))) and hoping that your headaches and bones will be feeling better soon!!

Love ~ Goody

Old 09-09-2006, 04:12 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, who ever said that folks with Bipolar Disorder don't get to have any physical ailments, huh??

I have three problems that I need some sort of pain reliever for.

Headaches (usually brought on my the drop in barometric pressure before a bad storm - common in the Midwest!)
Arthritis (particularly bad in fingers, toes, knees, ankle) See Goody? I am definitely the elder of the cybertwins!
Pleurisy (more bouts in the last 3 yrs than I care to think about)

The pleurisy is the one that I need an anti-inflammatory for. We've tried some that won't mess with the Bipolar, end up with some that raise my blood pressure too much. Aleve seems to help the most, and yet I've heard Jamie's voice in my year before she ever said anything!!

Thanks to all for listening to me whine! I've been so used to the stoic type reaction to discomfort that I forgot what it was like to gripe out loud!!
Hugs to all,
Ruthie

Old 09-10-2006, 09:24 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

kiehn HB User

Hi Ruth
Been preoccupied, and it finally dawned on me tonight, a good strong cup of coffee like expresso (caffiene) can actually help reduce headache for some it's all they need. It also can help the tylenol work better and faster. My
most favorite is a hot shower, the heating pad on my neck and a good
movie on LMN/Lifttime. That's for those migrane bombs. Take care
hope you get feeling better, hugs, K

Closed Thread