It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2006, 12:08 PM   #1
(female)

familyinneed HB User
Talking Bipolar Ten Year Old Son

I need help in understanding the process of learning if a child is bipolar. My friends ex wife had taken his son to at least four different doctors until someone said he was bipolar. His father was not involved in the process. In reading some materials I have seen that in order to make a correct decision on the child all party's should be at the evaluation. Including teachers, and other family members. She was told by three doctors that her son was not bipolar, but she found a fourth one that agreed with her. His father again was not a part of any of this. Should he have been there to talk about how the child was with him in order to have a correct diagnosis?

Last edited by familyinneed; 10-03-2006 at 12:51 PM. Reason: UPDATE

Old 10-11-2006, 09:33 PM   #2
(female)

ok2day HB User
Re: Bipolar Son

Hi I think everyone that is involved in the childs life should have some input. Yes if the father is an important part of his life then he should be given the chance to have his say on the matter. The main goal is to get the right diagnosis for the boy .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2006, 03:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User

Gosh/wow. This board is truly wordwide! I love it!
I'd most likly leave stuff like this to the doctors. I'm sure the input of his parents would be most helpful.

Mudhound

Old 10-12-2006, 04:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

I agree with Mudhound. If a child is bipolar then they are bipolar and it doesn't matter how many parents or extended family are there or not.
The doctors are the best ones to evaluate the child's behavior altho input is good.
My concern is why the mother seems to be seeking out a diagnosis of bipolar disorder. It sounds like 3 doctors called it something else before the 4th said Bipolar?
Are you aware if there is Bipolar Disorder in the family history of the mom or dad that would lead her to zero in on that diagnosis?
It seems a little odd is all...

Old 10-12-2006, 02:37 PM   #5
(female)

familyinneed HB User

Not on the fathers side, I have seen the way she is. She does have a lot of ups and downs. She will be real good for a couple of months, and will work with him and talk to him like a normal person. Than boom it is like she is a different person, she makes things up, make it all about her, and throws the son in the middle. I really think someone should look at her, but if you bring it up she just denies it and says that she is fine and that it is on his side of the family not hers and for sure not her. I believe when he goes back to court that he is going to ask for a mental evoluation. I think it would be hard for her to control or help him if she can not help herself.

Old 10-13-2006, 01:09 PM   #6
(female)

familyinneed HB User

The only problem that I had was the fact that his son, never had any problems when with his father. Once his mother ended her second marriage and his father found out that the ex husband had issues with his son that he was not aware of as the childs mother told the children not to say anything about what happens at there house to anyone, including their dad. Once they moved into another mans house, which was the man she was cheating on, the son started to act out when his father dropped him back off at his mothers house. If this was so stressful for her, she should have ask for help, as he offered it many times. She is a type of person that has to have things her way and will not listen to anyone that tells her to do something another way. If it is not something to been a fit her than it is not something she will even look at. At this point she will not ever let her son go to his fathers house and states that when he sees his father that he ends up having a hard couple of days following the time they spend together. She plays the blame game on his father, and won't admit that she has caused a lot of problems.

Closed Thread