It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2006, 11:30 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

NutshellNutter HB User
Does this constitute mania? What about your's??

Ok - was diagnosed few weeks back BP after years of erratic behaviour, guilt, and major depression (originally diagnosed MDD).

I fleet between accepting and wanting the diagnosis of BP and then completely failing to see how they arrived at it, time after time after time......

I would be grateful to hear if people who have been diagnosed can identify any of my traits to be those of manic, and in return I would also like to hear what people experience when manic, in their own words...

Ok - so this is me when I am 'supposedly' manic...
Extreme aggression towards anyone and anything, violent and abusive, arrogant to the point of ridiculous (on reflection), absolutely no talking to me - my way is the only 'rational' way after all and everyone else is wrong, wreckless driving, feeling totally immortal, could take on the world and win, electric, totally buzzing with energy, no touching anyone just like they can't touch me, completely in my own world, come into house..go out..come in...go out...come in... (you get the picture).... shopping spedning hundreds of £ at a time but feeling good with it, then after it all (from few hours to couple of days at a time I feel the most immense guilt for my 'unstoppable' behaviour. Can't believe I've done it 'again'. Feel my 'sorries' have become empty. Worry about money. Go down into my low.

***but although I talk very loudly and fast my words do make sense!!!

does anyone identify with this for their mania?? or I'm I just ill behaved??? really don't know......

what do you experience as mania??????
Interested to hear,

Nut.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2006, 10:01 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

gav_73 HB User
Re: Does this constitute mania? What about your's??

Nut,

I experience hypomanic episodes, and my symptoms resemble yours in many ways. I will typically talk very loudly (and am often "shhh'ed") and fast, fast, fast-- and I make sense. In addition, I often get over-stimulated during pleasant conversations, where I become so excited while having a normal conversation that I start to shake uncontrollably, my teeth even come close to chattering, like I'm freezing, but I'm not. The conversation doesn't even have to be that interesting. I also get VERY irritable and full of rage, although I am able to keep it inside most of the time. I drive dangerously fast, and want to drive faster, especially when I feel like I'm being closed into a space, like between several cars, and will attempt very hasty, reckless moves to get out. Also just like you, I feel that I am ALWAYS right, and get very angry with people for not seeing things my way and end up thinking they're just stupid; I feel that people are talking about me behind my back all the time; I can't sleep at night, and during my insomnia, I am full of anxiety and anger.

Sound familiar?

Anyway, what you're going through sounds like mania to me. I've done quite a bit of research on this myself, and mania comes in so many different forms it's almost unique to the person experiencing it. So, don't hold your symptoms hostage to any one particular set of standards when trying to understand them. Hope this helps.

Last edited by gav_73; 10-05-2006 at 10:05 PM.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:05 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

jgr01 HB User

Hi Nut,

yes yes yes (does this sound familiar?!). I do all of what your saying.

I was originally diagnosed BP 11 Rapid Cycling; 4 in a year. But now BP 1 with rapid cycles down to hours and days with maybe 1 big psychotic mania a year when I halluncinate.

I don't realise I'm full of rage until I've smashed a light socket with my fist beecause it didn't go on the first time, or picked up a small coffee table and smashed it over my knee, or just picked many items up and smashed them on the stone floor in kitchen, which provides a great sense of relief, but despair when it was my favourit vase etc. But I don't always get rage. Sometimes I just cant sit still, can't stop my brain racing and when I do try to stop it, it sort of freezes.

I exercise for 4 hours a day and can lift weights most men shrink from. I also get agitated in conversation like Gav and start to shake. I talk over people, loudly and sometimes not even making sense because I jump from topic to topic folks can't keep up.

I think nothing of spending £600 on 2 items of clothing and staying out all night spending £400 on bars, clubs and ending up in some blokes hotel room taking cocaine, which sort of calms me. I used to sleep around a lot, for the thrill, but now I am able to curb that and just stick to the drugs lol Not that that's better or anything.

Worst of all I will self medicate with alcohol, drinking for days, not sleeping but not feeling tired. Driving my car (although I'm better now at not getting into the car since i tried to kill myself with it).

Soooooo, really I take the meds and try to keep my warnings cards with me and look at them to remind me of my conditon and what's stable behaviour vs having an episode.

Hope that helps at all?

Old 10-06-2006, 01:40 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

gav_73 HB User

jgr01, I can really identify with a lot of what you went through and are still going through, although, thankfully, it's been many years since my "druggie" days. Cocaine and alcohol were also my drugs of choice, which I've read are the drugs of choice for most bipolars--all these signs and never a diagnosis until now. Pretty fascinating, if you ask me. The anger, the spending sprees (which ended up in bankruptcy); the alcohol and drug abuse (which landed me in jail for a year in my 20s); living on the streets, practically eating out of garbage cans; rape, eating disorders, etc. It's really a bittersweet experience to learn that, for one, these things weren't all my fault or my own doing, yet second, learning that they never had to happen at all if only I had been properly diagnosed in time. I just thought I was some artistic, brilliant freak-of-nature and there was no hope for me beyond what I could control. At least, that's how I felt, that's what my family convinced me I was. And I'm not saying that I'm really some brilliant, talented genius or anything, only that I felt that way, like I was very, very special, but at the same time hopeless--and hopelessly lonely. Love, understanding and support, as I've said before, can make all the difference in the world for the direction in which our lives take us. And more importantly, learning to love and accept ourselves. I just thank my lucky stars for this diagnosis.

Last edited by gav_73; 10-06-2006 at 01:47 PM.

Old 10-06-2006, 04:46 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

jgr01 HB User

Hi Gav,

i know it's freaky isn't it? Folks who know me really well reckon i should write a book....but no-one would believe it, would they? sometimes even i don't!

I even got bitten by a tiger shark 3 years ago....these things just don't happen to the girl next door...am I having dellusions of grandeur here? No, just sometimes i have to laugh

I'm gonna have to turn in now, already 1 hr 45 mins past my bed time! But i am getting much more happy with my condition since joining this board.

You're great an as are most the other folks on here.

jgr xx

Old 10-07-2006, 01:25 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

cbeefyt HB User

I thought for the longest time that I had ADD. But after reading this thread, Im convinced that I am Bipolar. Im a total control freak, and at work, once I get a game plan in my head, thats the way its going to be done. When someone starts suggesting other options, I get ****** off and feel like thier just trying disagree because the are threatened by my ideas and energy(mania?). Every job Ive had, I have eventually become the alpha male. Im not a mean person, but when you have a million thoughts in your head every second, It can overwhelm and intimidate many people. Just about every day I feel like nobody in the world can challenge me mentally. Ive given up on going to my bedroom and sleeping in my bed at night. I have to drink myself to sleep and crash on the couch. If I didnt drink and went to bed, my mind would race about everything. It would start with one subject, and suddenly change to another in seconds. Ill have conversations in my head of future interactions with others. For instance, tonight Ill go to bed and act out in my head a doctors visit where I try to explain what is wrong In my head, and after that It will be another. The best way to describe it is by imagining your brain as an engine. Ive got it floored 24/7 but my transmission is shot.

Old 10-07-2006, 09:09 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

gav_73 HB User

jgr01, I'm really glad that you are coming to grips with all of this, and that our sharing is helping you. It is really helping me, too! And that's funny about your friends saying you should write a book, I've always been told the same thing, and one day, I just might!

Last edited by Administrator; 09-15-2011 at 10:23 PM.

Old 10-07-2006, 11:12 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

NutshellNutter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gav_73
Hi cbeef,

And that's funny about your friends saying you should write a book, I've always been told the same thing, and one day, I just might!

I'm in stitches (but in a good way) gav_73. I started writing my book when in the heights of thinking I was a born novelist!!!! Which I most definitely am not on reflection!!!!!!! Hindsight.....

Nut.

Old 10-07-2006, 11:15 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

jgr01 HB User

Hi CBeef,

when i eventually ended up with the right doctor (a psychiatrist, not a local general practitioner or psychotherapist) he went through a series of questions. I didn't necessarily need to plan my answers previously. So, my recommendation is that you tell your GP (doc) that you are pretty sure there is something a little more important going on with your mood than depression or just life events and please to just give you a referral. He / She will ask questions but in the UK they're pretty good at straight referral. My initial doctors meetings took about 18mths because I didn't know to ask...they checked my periods, gave me charts to fill in etc etc. I ended up with my pdoc because I had a really bad episode (mania). Then it was pretty simple from there; I was diagnosed in 5 mins. But i did spend many hours subsequently going through questions and my life. What is important to remember is that the pdoc is a medical practitioner. Sometimes it feels like they're counselling but they're not. They are listening to your answers to questions and constantly relating that to the medical diagnoses they can offer and then medicate. A therapist on the other hand cannot diagnose (although can suggest) but will help you understand more the events in your life that provide the underlying scripts that can be exacerbated by a bipolar condition.
You will learn a lot here on this board; mostly you are not alone (I do all the things you say) more importantly to accept yourself and many different options for dealing with the diagnosis.
One of the worst things i was told by my initial psych was that he strongly recommended meds, (which wasn't really a concern because i simply KNEW i had to due to responsbility for others like my daughter) but that it would take 12-18 mths to learn the new 'me'. Recognising that some decisions, most likely the biggest ones about jobs, relationships etc. may have been made during an episode - i can point to many personal examples of this now I reflect. Right now I'm learning another new me. But hey, even folks without BP change during their lives...to me it was 'what can I trust' 'who am i if what i have been isn't?' . But it is you really, just exaggerated by BP. Good luck keep us posted and apologies for verbal diarrohea!

Last edited by Administrator; 09-15-2011 at 10:24 PM.

Old 10-07-2006, 01:37 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

gav_73 HB User

I wonder how many of us thought about writing a book. That's so funny, Nut--I really feel uncomfortable calling you "Nut" but I've seen you call yourself that, so I hope it's OK. Anyway, I'd bet if we all really sat down and wrote our life experiences, others might be able to understand us and this disorder a little better, allowing us to "come out of the closet" so-to-speak, and face our lives without having to lie and feel ashamed. I really have had such a rollercoaster, unbelievable life, and I'm sure most of you could say the same thing. From hopping on a bus at 14 with nothing, travelling all over the country painting portaits and hanging out with rock stars, to the depths of hell, jail time, drug and alcohol abuse, giving up a child for adoption. Now, I'm a pretty accomplished person with an advanced degree, a school-teacher husband, and a pretty good life--and a diagnosis, which will mean everything for my future. Sounds like a pretty exciting book to me!!!!! LOL

Old 10-08-2006, 05:05 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

NutshellNutter HB User

Hi gav_73,
Its fine to call me Nut - I started using Nutshellnutter after being taken inpatient the first time for a breakdown - hence nutter in a nutshell!!! Over time its got shortedened to Nut - as long as noone else on the board taks offence to it - then it suits me just fine!!!

I'm glad you can look back at your experiences (some of which sound harrowing!!) in a positive way...... you really seem like you have a handle on things (well for the moment!!! ).

Best Wishes,
Nut.

Closed Thread