HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   Anyone else crave CARBS??? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bipolar-disorder/435407-anyone-else-crave-carbs.html)

frozeninside 10-07-2006 08:52 PM

Anyone else crave CARBS???

Could it be the meds???

I am usually an insanely healthy eater (read the labels on everything, organic, etc. etc.), used to be anorexic, still struggle, but anyway, lately, all I can think about is CARBS.

Muffins, animal crackers, bread, rice, pasta, cookies, cake...whatever is readily available-I will inhale it without a second thought.

This scares me. What am I doing to my body???!!!

Philby48 10-07-2006 09:37 PM

Re: Anyone else crave CARBS???

Hi Frozen,
I hope things have calmed down a little for you.For me it is the meds(seroquel) since I started it 9 months ago it's been pasta,pasta and more pasta!!!! I would quit taking it but I DO like to sleep a couple hours anyway....reality gets too thin after being up 2 or 3 days!!! Check the side effects of the meds your taking I'm sure one of them will cause weight gain.I tried to check out your photos on flickr but I must be having a DUH day ...couldn't find them.

ShoelessTroy 10-07-2006 11:27 PM

When I was taking Risperdal I was craving carbs 24 hours a day. I gained about 30 lbs in 2 months. Now I'm on Lamictal and the cravings are gone and I have lost about 20 lbs.

jgr01 10-08-2006 12:48 PM

Hi Frozen,

only when i'm depressed or the winter starts coming in. Often after a mania I do too because I've starved myself so much....
Depakote does put some weight on but less than most...

Aliryn 10-08-2006 09:31 PM

[FONT="Arial"]I've craved carbs my whole life, long, long before I ever started meds. My mother read somewhere... can't remember where... that a LOT of bipolar people crave carbs and sugar--which is completely and totally me. I love bread, noodles, rice, etc and ALWAYS am drinking a Pepsi and eat cookies a lot... unfortunately, I actually don't even take in much of any of the foods I like; the bipolar's messed up my appetite royally and food sounds disgusting pretty much all of the time. So, therefore, I have no eating disorder, am not too poor to buy food, and yet I am underweight by at least fifteen pounds... oh how fun. Oh well. In any case, my cravings for those things didn't change when I started Lamictal and Trileptal, so at least for me the meds don't mean anything.[/FONT]

sparkleeyes26 10-10-2006 07:34 PM

Icrave carbs bad I think it's my meds.
It's awful almost like a drug addiction.

suzannecaroline 10-10-2006 08:13 PM

whatever drug though i think its lamictal, make s me more prone to carbs and over eating.... never anorexic but had little appetite before meds

Aliryn 10-10-2006 11:25 PM

[FONT="Arial"]As far as it goes with me, the meds have nothing to do with my love of carbs and sugar and my complete lack of appetite. I've run out of the meds for months without being able to get them refilled, but it's still the same for me. Plus, I was always like this, long before I ever started taking any kind of meds.[/FONT]