It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2006, 08:52 PM   #1
Inactive

frozeninside HB User
Anyone else crave CARBS???

Could it be the meds???

I am usually an insanely healthy eater (read the labels on everything, organic, etc. etc.), used to be anorexic, still struggle, but anyway, lately, all I can think about is CARBS.

Muffins, animal crackers, bread, rice, pasta, cookies, cake...whatever is readily available-I will inhale it without a second thought.

This scares me. What am I doing to my body???!!!

Old 10-07-2006, 09:37 PM   #2
(male)

Philby48 HB User
Re: Anyone else crave CARBS???

Hi Frozen,
I hope things have calmed down a little for you.For me it is the meds(seroquel) since I started it 9 months ago it's been pasta,pasta and more pasta!!!! I would quit taking it but I DO like to sleep a couple hours anyway....reality gets too thin after being up 2 or 3 days!!! Check the side effects of the meds your taking I'm sure one of them will cause weight gain.I tried to check out your photos on flickr but I must be having a DUH day ...couldn't find them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2006, 11:27 PM   #3
(male)

ShoelessTroy HB User

When I was taking Risperdal I was craving carbs 24 hours a day. I gained about 30 lbs in 2 months. Now I'm on Lamictal and the cravings are gone and I have lost about 20 lbs.

Old 10-08-2006, 12:48 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

jgr01 HB User

Hi Frozen,

only when i'm depressed or the winter starts coming in. Often after a mania I do too because I've starved myself so much....
Depakote does put some weight on but less than most...

Old 10-08-2006, 09:31 PM   #5
(female)

Aliryn HB User

I've craved carbs my whole life, long, long before I ever started meds. My mother read somewhere... can't remember where... that a LOT of bipolar people crave carbs and sugar--which is completely and totally me. I love bread, noodles, rice, etc and ALWAYS am drinking a Pepsi and eat cookies a lot... unfortunately, I actually don't even take in much of any of the foods I like; the bipolar's messed up my appetite royally and food sounds disgusting pretty much all of the time. So, therefore, I have no eating disorder, am not too poor to buy food, and yet I am underweight by at least fifteen pounds... oh how fun. Oh well. In any case, my cravings for those things didn't change when I started Lamictal and Trileptal, so at least for me the meds don't mean anything.

Old 10-10-2006, 07:34 PM   #6
(female)

sparkleeyes26 HB User

Icrave carbs bad I think it's my meds.
It's awful almost like a drug addiction.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:13 PM   #7
(female)

suzannecaroline HB User

whatever drug though i think its lamictal, make s me more prone to carbs and over eating.... never anorexic but had little appetite before meds

Old 10-10-2006, 11:25 PM   #8
(female)

Aliryn HB User

As far as it goes with me, the meds have nothing to do with my love of carbs and sugar and my complete lack of appetite. I've run out of the meds for months without being able to get them refilled, but it's still the same for me. Plus, I was always like this, long before I ever started taking any kind of meds.

Last edited by Aliryn; 10-10-2006 at 11:25 PM.

Closed Thread