It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2006, 10:10 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

daystar91 HB User
Made a mistake and paying for it....

Can your family doc prescribe you the same meds that a phyciatrist can???I'm in a mess right now and thinking i really need my meds...A few months ago i decided on my own to go off my meds, i know this was a mistake..Lately i'm becoming so emotionally all over the place that my fourteen year son has made comments on my moods..How upsetting this is to me...My problem is that the phyciatrist that i was seeing has kicked me out of the program..I don't understand why my isurance i'm sure pays them well..I have made my first mistake and they wont take me back..I don't know where to go, so i was thinking my family doc maybe....
I can't sleep, i'm a stress eater so i've gained about ten pounds, i'm miserable and i don't want to live this way anymore..I'm starting a new job next week how can i work if i can't sleep at night, someone told me to have a night cap well i don't want to have to depend on acohol for sleeping..I'm so unhappy.............

Old 10-09-2006, 12:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

fallen_angel HB User
Re: Made a mistake and paying for it....

Hi Daystar
My family doc prescribed me lithium when i first suspected i was bipolar and was waiting for a referral to a psychiatarist. When i did get referred, they were not very happy that he had done this as they said it was important as i was correctly diagnosed first. However, in your case you already have a diagnosis and have been previously treated with meds, so they may be prepared to give you a prescription.
I think it is awful that you have been kicked off your program. A big part of being bipolar is to think you are ok and want to stop your meds, it is part of the illness. The most important thing is that you have now realised that you need your meds again, and you need and deserve help.
I think your family doctor would be a good place to start and to possibly see if they can find you a new psychiatarist or to speak to the old one. Im from the UK so i know things probably work differently over here, we dont have insurance, but you still need help fast. Bipolar can be very destructive and can get worse quickly as im sure you know, so it really is important that you get treated fast. you shouldnt have to suffer like this
Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2006, 08:16 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

gav_73 HB User

I totally agree with Fallen Angel. You definitely deserve the help. This doctor should have his his own head examined, particularly because he knows the consequences that could arise out of you not getting the meds you need. Is there no other pdoc around? Check your PPO or insurance plan to see who is on the list, and just call around until you can get an appointment. In the meantime, get to your family doctor and have him request your medical records from your old psychiatrist. This way, he can see your diagnosis, what meds you were previously taking, for how long and at what dosage, and get you started again. If you've been off the meds for a while, you will probably have to start from square one as far as dosages are concerned. But, that's OK! It's better than where you are now.

So, first, call your family doctor to make an appointment (I hear of internists prescribing psychiatric medications all the time; but you should only use him to get your initial prescriptions while looking for another pdoc who can help you manage your medications); second, have your family doctor put in a request for your medical records from your old pdoc prior to your appointment so that they might call them out for you sooner; third, search for a new pdoc to manage your meds after the family doctor is able to prescribe your first round to help get you started. The sooner, the better.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by gav_73; 10-09-2006 at 08:19 AM.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:22 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

daystar91 HB User

Thanks for your help...I've put in a call for my family doc, my apointment is next week...I also made a sooner apointment for my therapist to see if there is some way he can help me..Now i have called the psychairist who kicked me out of the program and asked for my files...His office is saying they will take me back but i will have to pay a 50.00 fee even though i have no co pays with my insurance and they can't get me in until after the new year..This is only if i want to go back..The 50.00 fee has to be paid before i can see the doc..What is this all about MONEY....I'm so irrated about this, i need help, ask for it by someone who is certified and wants a career in helping people mentally...The last place i'm going to be looking for help will be this doc or anyone from that office.. They wont be getting my insurance money and i wont be recomending them to anyone...

Old 10-09-2006, 05:11 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

gav_73 HB User

Good for you. I wouldn't recommend going back there either; I really think that is the best decision. Plus, they couldn't see you for months anyway. I'm still trying to get stable myself. And while we're on the subject of irritating doctor's offices, I had to go to mine today to sign some papers for my idiotic and nightmarish insurance company. So, I parked out front with groceries in my car and my flashers on because there is no parking anywhere in this wretched city. So, I'm in line to talk to the receptionist, who has the papers for me to sign. While I'm waiting in line, this grumpy old lady comes in and stands next to the reception desk like she's going to cut in front of me, the whole time standing right in the face of the woman trying to take care of her business with the receptionist. So as the other lady at the window appears to be wrapping it up, I stood up to let the old woman know that I did not intend to let her cut in front of me. She was being very aggressive, snorting and very rude. My blood started boiling and I could feel my blood pressure going up. She turns to me and asked if I was in line? I said yes, and she grunted really loud, then had the nerve to ask if I would let her go ahead of me. Expecting me to say yes, I said NO. She was so mad that I wouldn't let her cut that she started physically pushing her way to the window as I'm trying to talk to the receptionist. And I came really close to causing a scene and calling her a f*#king a-hole. I wanted to punch this lady in the face, and I'm not kidding. I wanted to go off on her so bad, grandma or not. She was a WITCH! It took me over an hour to calm down. So, believe me, I know what it's like to need your medicine. The little dose I'm on probably kept me from making a huge scene. I haven't had the best of weeks, let me tell you.

Old 10-13-2006, 07:57 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

daystar91 HB User

My mess is just getting bigger and bigger...My pshyc doc kicked me out of the program and if i want to come back they will take me but not until January 19...I don't know what i'm going to do i'm so stressed over this..I've been trying to get my family doc to prescribe me my meds and i can't even get an answer out of him...Called and said that they will get back to me well thats about four days ago...A bunch of idiots...I need my meds i'm going off the wall...I can't sleep at night i stay up to three oclock in the morning and still i lay there in my bed...My emotions and moods are all over the place...This is the first time i have done this not continue my meds and i've learned my lesson please why can't i get these docs to help me...
Gav_73 i know what you mean...Patience with rude people can be limited...

Old 10-13-2006, 10:11 PM   #7
(female)

MSLAINIE HB User

Daystar91,
This Happened To My Son 15 1/2 He Is Bipolar. He Was Kicked Out Of A Program And I Had No Meds Until The New Doc Appoint. He Was Crazy. I Called Back Of His Insurance Card And Called. They Helped Us Within 24hours. Another Time It Happened I Called My Family Doc But It Is A Fine Line To Order Meds From Another Doc. If You Cant Take It Maybe You Can Go To Hospital For Eval And Meds At An Er For Psy.
Good Luck.
Mslainie

Closed Thread