It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2006, 11:26 AM   #1
(male)

missedthemark HB User
How manic is manic?

My girlfriend recently went into the hospital for depression and suicidal threats. she's never been diagnosed BP, but they put her on a mood stabalizer (not sure wich one, starts with 'L'). any how, I'm guessing that means they think she is BP, but I have never seen mania from her, just depression and something close to "normal". I'm wondering if you can have BP without an obvious mania. She does swing rapidly from "normal" to severly depressed.

Please help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2006, 01:17 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

jgr01 HB User
Re: How manic is manic?

Hi there, why do you think it's BP? Have the docs actually mentioned it. I'm not sure, but even folks with severe depression have to 'stabilised'. So perhaps it's just terminology you've picked up?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2006, 01:19 PM   #3
(male)

missedthemark HB User

basically I went searching for 'mood stabalizer' just to see what it was and how it was different from an AD. It just seemed it was always mentioned in the context of BP disorder. I didn't know if they gave Mood stabalizers just for depression.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:19 PM   #4
(male)

missedthemark HB User

[doubleposted]

Last edited by missedthemark; 10-09-2006 at 01:54 PM.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:00 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

jgr01 HB User

hmmm, i don't know then. It's easy to search threads on here that will give manic symptoms....I guess at some level you just have to trust the docs?

jgr

Old 10-11-2006, 03:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

WanderingSoul HB User

She probably doesn't have bipolar. I have had similar experiences to your girlfriend (I'm not bipolar; just depression) but I have been given mood stabilizers in the past, and my doc is now considering putting me on Lamictal. If you look up Lamictal online (and other mood stabilizers for that matter) it just talks about the bipolar issue... But they can also be used to treat unipolar depression in some people.

But... you could always ask the doctors straight out. Or if you can't, your girlfriend can; she has the legal right to know.

I hope she's ok.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:08 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

jgr01 HB User

yep i agree; which was what i originally suspected.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:02 AM   #8
(male)

missedthemark HB User

It was Lamactil, but she started to get a rash,a nd I guess the rash that can come with Lamactil can be fatal, so they stopped it. They should be trying another one soon.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:11 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

WanderingSoul HB User

Yes, I've heard about the dreaded rash.... I'm sorry it didnt work out for her. You and she are both welcome to join the depression boards as well, for support/etc..

Old 10-11-2006, 09:36 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

Hello all,
The problem with the rash from Lamictal is usually caused when the dosage of the drug is too great or it is increased too quickly and the body doesn't have a chance to adjust. I think this med gets a bad rap when often the problems are caused by the prescribing doctor who doesn't necessarily know what he/she's doing. When administered properly, it is a real life-saver for many! If your girlfriend doesn't find something else that works well, after some time passes, she might want to give it another try, at a lower dose. Good luck. tsohl

Closed Thread