It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2006, 11:17 AM   #1
(male)

Aeolian HB User
Dispatches on Ch4

Did anyone else here see Dispatches on Ch4 last night (Monday the 9th of October) entitled "Britain's Mental Health Scandal". It was a real eye opener, I know that those places are bad from personal experience, and i could relate to some of the issues but I'm glad to say that I've never been in an institution as bad as those depicted.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:56 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Picali HB User
Re: Dispatches on Ch4

Hiya,

I saw it, thought it was a very good documentary. I saw some appalling things in the unit I was in, although some of the staff were lovely and were really trying to do a good job in difficult conditions. There were some members of staff who I wouldn't have let near my dog, never mind vulnerable people. The NHS is in a shocking state these days - I experience it with BP and my son's autism and there's no provision for either of us - anything we need we have to go private for. I've made numerous complaints over the years and have just been fobbed off every time. I sometimes feel like a just want to shake somebody and yell at them until they do something about it - a lot of it is down to poor communication and poor management, both of which are easy to do something about.

It's just lucky that we have these sort of investigative programmes to bring things to light - at least you know you're not the only one then.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2006, 01:16 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

NutshellNutter HB User
Exclamation Re: Dispatches on Ch4

Fortunately I have been able to receive private treatment as both in and out patient as required.

I couldn't BELIEVE that places like those shown on the documentary exist in the 21st century. I was absolutely horrified and it has made of so frightened of ever needing inpatient help again in case I can't afford provate care at that time.

I have thought about talking to my OH and writinga crisis card of what needs to happen if I need inpatinet care. Unfortunately, I feel like putting 'sel the house if needed' on the card - I know I would suicide if placed in one of those places (even whilst in plush private surroundings with a specified nurse and HC at all times for me) I self-harmed.

I am so, so frightened. I talked myself into thinking that they had just picked the worst NHS establishments to make 'good viewing'. But, since seeing these genuine posts, from genuine people I am so, so worried.

Nut.

Closed Thread