HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   Lamictal-- What time of day? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bipolar-disorder/437083-lamictal-what-time-day.html)

WanderingSoul 10-13-2006 04:19 PM

Lamictal-- What time of day?

Hey guys.. My psychiatrist gave me my starter pack today for Lamictal. Just curious what time of day you guys take it, and why you take it at that time.
Thanks!

mudhound 10-13-2006 06:39 PM

Re: Lamictal-- What time of day?

wow! another med that my wife has not taken.
She takes most of hers at night.
It's a timing thing so try as best you can to stay on time what ever time you find best for you

jen1008 10-14-2006 04:37 AM

During the times I take it once a day, it is always at night because of my clumsiness. There was about a year that I took it twice a day and that was fine too. Whatever works for you :)

GatsbyLuvr1920 10-14-2006 06:23 AM

I take mine in the morning. I always take pills in the morning, simply because it's a part of my routine. Otherwise, I'd forget. It just seems natural to take my pills with a drink before I brush my teeth. I tend to fall asleep a lot at night (curse you, SSRI's!), so I'd never remember to take my Lamictal at night or be able to predict when I'd fall asleep.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

gav_73 10-14-2006 07:12 AM

I've been on the starter pack for about a week now in addition to a very low dose of lithium. I take the Lamictal and lithium in the morning with breakfast, and the second dose of lithium at night. I was experiencing panic attacks when I would take larger doses of meds at night, so I started spacing them out and taking the larger doses in the morning and it's worked better for me. However, the neither the Lamictal nor the lithium causes me to be drowsy, but some people have reported that these medications do, so I think it's just whatever works for you, like the others said. :wave:

Wagon Daddy 10-14-2006 01:33 PM

Noob here... (Hi!)

I'm on a low dosage of Lamictal (50mg daily). I take it right before bed along with my Lorazepam.

WanderingSoul 10-14-2006 07:49 PM

Thanks for the input, guys! I've decided to take it at noon every day for the time being.. Because that is one time of day that I am almost always awake. :) Today I took my first tablet, I only took half of a 25mg tablet, because I am really worried about side effects, so want to start super-duper slowly.

Someone mentioned something about clumsiness... Can you elaborate on that? Is that a really common/problematic response? Because I am already quite the clutz as it is.. :(

gav_73 10-14-2006 08:03 PM

Wanderingsoul, you should always start at 25mg, not anymore. If you look at the starter pack, it keeps you on 25mg for two weeks, then 50mg for two weeks until you get up to 100mg. Apparently, the slower you begin increasing the meds, the less likely you are to experience side effects, hence the starter pack. So, even if you don't experience any side effects, follow the directions on the starter pack, and report any concerns to your doctor right away. I was afraid of the side effects, too, but so far, I haven't experienced any. I am on my second week and feeling fine, no reaction at all. Just make sure you report any signs of a rash or any anxiety, things like that, right away. :wave: