It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2006, 07:07 PM   #1
(female)

Neleah HB User
Psychosis - How do I react?

He seems to be getting more and more psychotic. How should I react when someone tells me that he wants to wipe out his conscience and live in silence detached from the world? When he talks about wanting an out-of-body experience and meditate to only feel his own existence and live forever in silence and in his own reality? When he says that the world offends his dreams and he does not want anything to do with it and retreat into his mind? That he feels his anger is all-consuming and his mind is the only place to be safe? That nothing is real and reality can be altered at will? What in the world do you say when someone tells you these things? What would you want your loved ones to do when you are psychotic? I have tried not to worry too much and look out for myself, but it is getting worse and worse...

Does anyone have any input? Swallow my pride and call him to make sure he is ok? He has been trying to get in touch with me, but after he insulted me badly and left angry and commanding messages on my machine, I have been ignoring him (our interactions have been very hurtful for me because he is so cold and now even disrespectful and rude). Right now I seriously don't know what to do...I live in a different state currently, so I can't grab him and drag him to a doctor. And the people around him don't know what is going on and think he is just this super-deep guy with amazing visions and feed into both his psychosis and his aggression.

Any thoughts anyone? Thanks so much...

Last edited by Neleah; 10-13-2006 at 07:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2006, 10:55 PM   #2
(female)

moonbeam22 HB User
Talking Re: Psychosis - How do I react?

hi, I have not the sacred answer. yet I have loved a bi polar man and have his child .... I cannot enphasize to you and all reading the importance of the right diagnosis...and the nessesary need for medication......I still love him he is homeless on the streets of Phoenix together for 7 years the verbal abuse my son not his that he inflicted never seeing the light in my bedroom ..telling all who visited shhhh bobs sleeping.....all the time I am so sorry I do understand Bobs daughter is now going on 16 it has been a real hell. sensory disfunction she says she can feel me in the computer lab even when I am only reading she can feel TV her stap dad I asked her what she hears she says a buzzing sound.... she is also bi polar just recently diagnose she was a cutter ... On Topamax she has quit that.....she says she has a plan for suicide and won't tell me she is also ODD..... it is not easy....always a picky eater person and very mean.....not very appologetic at all......I tell her from day one that she is my angel of love.......with all she does have a BIG Heart...take care of yourself...... his needs will outweigh yours....... love from a distance yet LOVE HIM.....

Old 10-14-2006, 04:24 PM   #3
(female)

Neleah HB User
Re: Psychosis - How do I react?

Thank you so much for your answer and my heart goes out to you! Your daughter is very lucky to have you as a mother and I am sure she knows that! I am sorry about his situation, but it's good that you were able to look after yourself and your children.

Yes, I do love him and I have been keeping an eye on him for the past 2,5 months. It's so difficult to find the balance of being there enough to have an eye on him, but not enough to get hurt in the process, but I am doing better now than I was a month ago. I just want him to get out of this so we can talk again and hopefully get treatment on the way...I am just scared for his safety because this has gotten so bad.

All the best to you!

Last edited by Neleah; 10-14-2006 at 04:26 PM.

Old 10-14-2006, 04:40 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

jgr01 HB User

Hi Neleah,

this is awful, psychosis is very dangerous to you, him and others. I cannot recall if he sees a pdoc? if I were in your situation I would ring a pdoc myself describe the situation and see what they say. You may have to take the step to have him sectioned for all the RIGHT REASONS. He will not understand now, but he and you cannot go on.

I had family that had me sectioned the first time. I am so glad they did. Can't say I was at the time though because i didn't think anything was wrong really and that all my thoughts and actions were normal. Wanting to live in silence.....there is one final silence....I know, I've tried it twice. I don't want to scare you, but you have to remember you LOVE him, but you are not equipped to deal with him or deserving of his anger etc.

Speak to a pdoc.

Good luck and take care.

jgr xxxxx

Old 10-14-2006, 05:06 PM   #5
(female)

Neleah HB User

Thank you and I appreciate your honesty. I don't believe he is suicidal, but his delusions and the anger are getting worse by the day. I have not talked to him for about a week, but now I am tempted to. It just always hurts my feelings when I do...

He does not have a doctor, but I have to make an appointment with my own pdoc anyway, so I will ask her what she thinks...I wish his parents knew and I am tempted to talk to them. But he told me once that he doesn't want me to. And having him admitted is something that I would prefer for them to decide. So far they keep telling him that he should just get his act together and don't believe that he is bp.

I just wish his friends would get it so I could discuss it with someone nearby. I just want this to be OVER to get treatment on the way....he was willing before this started.

Old 10-15-2006, 04:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

Neleah, is this person definitely Biipolar?

If so, the best thing is to keep in touch enough to know when he starts coming out of the psychosis (or major depression) and THEN talk seriously to him - when is in the "leveled out" part of the bipolar cycle.

If he is not bipolar, but is continuously escalating into psychois and yet is not suicidal or dangerous to others you may have to talk to his family. In the U.S. is nearly impossible to get a mentally ill person help if they do not want it. If he is not on meds this will only get worse.

I am Bipolar Type I, and every time I had another episode of mania it was stronger than the one before until I too was having psychotic breaks from reality.
And trust me, there is NOTHING you can say to a person when they are psychotic that will get through.

On a personal level I want to say Thank You to you.
A young man helped me - saw the situation I was in - and delivered me to my parents and they did get me help.
I've been balanced for over 20 yrs now and I appreciate anyone who even thinks about trying to help someone. I hate to think where I might have been if he hadn't recognized that there was something really wrong.

Old 10-15-2006, 04:57 PM   #7
(female)

Neleah HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth6:11
On a personal level I want to say Thank You to you.
A young man helped me - saw the situation I was in - and delivered me to my parents and they did get me help.
I've been balanced for over 20 yrs now and I appreciate anyone who even thinks about trying to help someone. I hate to think where I might have been if he hadn't recognized that there was something really wrong.
Ruth, I cannot really express how much this means to me. It made me cry because it gave me a sense of relief and I think I really needed that. I am being bombarded with "why would you do this to yourself, why are you putting up with it, he is just an idiot (and worse), just walk away." I don't have many friends I can talk to because they are getting sick of it...but I found a support group and the meeting was so great. It was so unbelievably helpful to be able to share with people who know exactly what I am talking about and are nothing but sympathetic...

Yes, there is no doubt that he is bp 1. He has all the symptoms of mania, depression, and psychosis. I am not sure about the psychotic episodes when he was stable. He might have been cycling, but he could have schizoaffective disorder.

Quote:
If so, the best thing is to keep in touch enough to know when he starts coming out of the psychosis (or major depression) and THEN talk seriously to him - when is in the "leveled out" part of the bipolar cycle.

Yes, absolutely. I made the mistake (I should have known better) to bring it up again yesterday. I called him to check on him. He sounded better and I brought up that he needs to see someone. But I realized that he still in his episode (utter lack of empathy, unfeeling, denial, hypersexuality, still in a very unhealthy relationship (he admitted that it is unhealthy), big plans that will never be carried through, delusional although not as "out there as he has been", etc). He just made a very important (in my mind disastrous) career decision and I was so shocked. He says the mania was triggered by external factors (stress, issues) and now he has it under control. I asked if he could use the time off to see a pdoc and work on getting better. He said no, he does not need that (he rejects the idea that something could be wrong with his brain - it seems to really scare him). He says he will re-orient himself for now (career-wise), but I know he won't. He will be at the computer 24/7 and eventually get very depressed. I have seen it before. I am so shocked that it has come to this...

I am pretty sure he is not a danger to himself or others right now. His parents are absolutely in denial that anything could be wrong with him and tell him to get his lazy act together. I have no idea how they would react if I called. But yes, if he does get worse, I will.

It seems as if he is slowly running out of steam and is getting more and more depressed (it's the same progression as last year when I met him but we weren't dating yet, but this manic episode is a lot worse and I hope that the depression won't be equally bad...). He called me last week when he was very depressed, which is good to know (I wasn't there, but I told him to leave a message next time). He said he would call me when he gets depressed and I told him that I absolutely want him to.

I also got the very distinct sense that he still highly values my opinion and is scared that I could just walk away. He was embarrassed when he talked about the relationship he is in. He is bothered that I don't share my life with him right now. He said he feels a barrier between us and it bothers him. He does not have a sense of how our relationship was back then and does not understand how terrible all this is for me (he said he can't get a sense of emotions), but he can't stand the idea that I could lose respect for him. All this was very obvious yesterday, which is an improvement.

It looks like I needed to get this out...thank you so much for the support. I feel pretty lonely in all of this. I don't blame my friends, but I don't want to be told to leave the idiot all the time when I have made it clear that I care about him and want to be there. Because he is not an idiot and because I know that he trusts me more than anyone and will hear me out when stable (even now he hears me out, but is in denial, obviously). I just have to give it a rest for now and be patient and negotiate my own needs and his. I am getting better at it. And Ruth, reading your story gives me the hope I need. It is good to know that treatment can work so well and I hope he will be ready for it soon. He was before this episode, so I will keep hoping.

Closed Thread