It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2006, 05:28 AM   #1
(male)

BroncoII HB User
ADD or BP?

Hello everyone. I got some questions. I been seeing my family dr for about a year for anxiety, and phases of depression. I was disnoased ADD at age 5 had trouble in school hard time learning I was hyper. Never took ADD meds. I tryed a few antidepressants. The last one was clexea about amonth ago or so. By the thrid week I think it put me in mania as my doctor called it. I was really high on life did not care about anything. I cheated on my wife (which I never thought about doing before). Doing drugs, drinking heavy. also only getting 3 or 4 hours sleep anight or less.My doc asked me how did I feel during this? I told him like I was really really really happy and did not give a *****. I felt good too good. almost like I didn't know what I was doing. As of this week I felt depressed off and on trough out the day being angered easy,hard time focusing, suicide thought here and there. THen times were I'am smiling from ear to ear making jokes talking alot can't sit still like I'am speeding. My doc told me he thinks I'am BP. I will be going to mental health soon to see if I'am biploar. Does this sound like a BP person

Justin

Last edited by BroncoII; 10-15-2006 at 05:32 AM.

Old 10-15-2006, 01:53 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User
Re: ADD or BP?

Hi, Justin There are quite a few signs that you may be Bipolar by what is described in your post but of course only a licensed certified psychiatrist could properly diagnose you. Keeping that in mind I see several indications that seem to suggest that you may be Bipolar.

First, many times people who have Bipolar often are misdiagnosed or have a dual diagnosis of ADD. Secondly, when put on antidepressants, somebody who is Bipolar will be thrown into a manic episode. Other things that pop out are the mood swings that you are experiencing. Somebody who is ADD will not have suicidal thoughts or the mood swings that you describe.

I think that it is wise that you go to the Mental Health center to be evaluated. Bipolar is a treatable illness and the longer it goes untreated the more it worstens. Being medicated will restore the chemical imbalance that makes it difficult to live a stable and happy life. You owe it to your wife, family, friends and most of all yourself to make sure that you take the medications that are necessary to keep you well.....for it is far more dangerous for somebody who is Bipolar to remain unmedicated that it is for them to take the meds that are necessary for the rest of their lives. Many people who are Bipolar put themselves and others at risk when they are unmedicated with the impulsive risks they take and the suicidal thoughts that take over. PLEASES do not make the mistake of thinking that you can go on without medications as many who have Bipolar do. IF you are diagnosed and the doctor puts you on meds please take them. IT will save your life and will preserve your marriage and all your relationships with friends, family and anyone else you interact with.

Good luck with everything and please keep us posted with how things go with your Mental Health visit.

~ Goody

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2006, 03:48 PM   #3
(male)

BroncoII HB User

Thanks for the replay. I will be going to the doctor bery soon.

Thanks again

Justin

Old 10-15-2006, 04:05 PM   #4
(female)

catlover4156 HB User

I am newly diagnosed Bipolar (August 10), and I asked the psychiatrist the same thing. My symptoms -- losing bills, getting account numbers mixed up, "forgetting" important things--couldn't they be ADD? She said that if I had been ADD, I'd have struggled in school and/or had special ed. I didn't, and I only had one bad subject (math). She seemed pretty sure I didn't have it. Even dieting and weight loss, I can never stay on a plan long enough to get results. A friend of mine was diagnosed as adult ADD and she immediately lost weight because she was FINALLY able to diet and exercise to a goal.

It does make you wonder how "certain" some of our diagnoses are!

Old 10-15-2006, 06:22 PM   #5
(male)

BroncoII HB User

I struggled in school when I was younger even failed secound grade becasue I was so hyper hard time learning forgetful teachers calling the house all the time hated school my parents had to drag me to school sometimes thats when my dr said I have ADD at 5 never took meds my doc was against Ritalin. I seemed to do better when I got in middle school and high school. I had anxiety my hole life,anti social stayed in my room alot and (I still perferrer to be alone today) depression sucidal thoughts. MY Dr now said ADD and BP have the some main systoms. When young alot of childern are miss diagnosed as of ADD. He looked at my grades in school he seen I passed in my elem years but inproved in middle school some and inproved alot in high school getting B's and A's. He said he doesn't think I'am ADD but BP. I have to go to mental health to get diagnosed by a psychiatrist. I'am keeping a note pad of how I feel through out the day till I get to go to the psychiatrist to show them.

Closed Thread