It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2006, 01:27 PM   #1
(female)

kay4nuz HB User
depakote?

my doc just changed my lithium to depakote. anybody have experience with depakote? I would like to know if you liked it or not & what effects it had on you. thank you very much.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:59 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

jgr01 HB User
Re: depakote?

Hi Kay4nuz,

I'm on Depakote and have been for 6 years 2000mg / day. Makes my hair a bit curlier but supposed to keep the weight down, but with this condition that fluctuates all over the place anyway!

I don't actually have a comparison to make with anything else though so I would be interested in your feedback after a few weeks!

Why did he change your meds?

jgr

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2006, 05:27 PM   #3
(female)

bradsgift HB User

Hello
I hope the depakote is working for you. I know from my son's experience it did not work for him so good. He had very bad tics after taking it for a week. He is on litheum right now and tics are still there, but not as bad. If for some reason you can't continue to take the depakote you need to always tell any doc. you are allergic to it or they will try to give it to you again or some form of it. Hope it works out for you. All meds. work differently on everyone.
Good luck!

Old 10-17-2006, 08:08 AM   #4
(male)

fattyrc HB User

Prepare for some weight gain! took Depakote for 6 years & started putting on the pounds right away. put on 60 + pounds in those 6 years. I wish you luck but I'm not a fan of this particular med

Old 10-17-2006, 10:13 AM   #5
(female)

moodypoo HB User

Depakote didn't do well for me. It made me gain alot of weight and after, I was on it for a month , I began to see things that were not there or happening. I really hope the med's work out for you.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:15 PM   #6
(female)

shelb HB User
Smile Re: depakote?

wow everyone your scaring me i just started depakote and feel pretty good better than before(thank goodness)meds work different for everyone so stick with it your doctor is there to help but i have noticed my hair was curly last night my hubby even made a comment i didn't know it had that effect lol

Old 10-17-2006, 08:28 PM   #7
(female)

cloudydaze22 HB User

I gained over 40 lbs on depakote and Zyprexa. Didn't like either of them. I really haven't found anything that works for me yet, unfortunately. Guess that's why I quit taking meds.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:39 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

cortney09 HB User
Lightbulb Re: depakote?

I was on Depakote for a while and I found it very helpful. I was also taking Cylexa at the time. I didn't expirience any side effects from it, although I know everybody reacts to medicine in different ways.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:07 PM   #9
(female)

MSLAINIE HB User

My Son Is On 1250mg And Has Been Taking 10months. He Is Doing Great On It. He Had A Problem With Resperdal And Gaining Weight But Since Off Has Lost 15lbs Since May. He Does Good On Depakote And It Does Work. I Think As His Mom It Depends On Other Meds And The Persons Body. He Takes Abilify 10mg With It And This Works Good For Him. We Have Been On Alot Of Meds In Last Years And This Combo Is Good. It Does Sometimes Take A While To Figure It Out. My Son And I Keep A Log To Help Tell Doc Everything. Seeing Doc Month To Month Sometimes We Forget So The Log Book Helps Alot....
Good Luck
Mslainie

Old 10-19-2006, 05:28 AM   #10
(male)

fattyrc HB User

I'm sure it does work for some people & I should mention that I've taken a lot of different meds & didn't have any better results than Depakote. But the wieght gain really sucked. Currently I'm off all my meds & have been symptom free for over a month! I gave up on my Dr & sought a new one out. Found out I have a very low Testosterone level & started receiving injections once a month. Felt great within 2 hrs of the first injection & have not had a single second of symptoms since. Have also started shedding the weight!

Old 10-19-2006, 10:00 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

jgr01 HB User

This is all really interesting! I was prescribed depakote back in August 2000 and I've been on varying doses of it ever since (2000 mg currently). the reason my pdoc chose it was because it is less likely to cause weight gain than lithium. So, I'm wondering, if I came off would i lose weight? I'm a US 8/10 now...wow maybe i could be a Zero!!!!! I do find that my weight REALLY fluctuates though, but i put it down to the manias and depressions which alter both activity, food choice or lack of it! I rapid cyle.

Curly hair though, got to love it

Old 10-19-2006, 05:45 PM   #12
(female)

justcoping HB User

Depakote worked well for me - 750mg. I had started out at 1000 mg. but my hair began to fall out. Dr. decreased dose, no more hair loss. It did grow back very curly! Maybe you could check out ***** for a more complete list of the side effects of Depakote

In any event Depakote has worked well for me with minimal side effects

Hope this helps

Old 10-22-2006, 10:56 AM   #13
(female)

dachsundmom HB User

I have been on Depakote for about nine years. I know i've put on 60 excess pounds & I hate it but i've been more stable in the last nine years than in all the rest of my 56 years. I take a combination of Depakote, Etrofon and Paxil, so it could be just the Depakote causing weight gain or maybe all of the meds.I personally don't have too many side-effects. The most serious one is a total lack of sexual interest. My husband understands I have to take the meds. & is so understanding but the poor man does get frustrated at times! If you find a med. that works & doesn't cause weight-gain PLEASE let me know so I can suggest it to my pdoc.

Old 10-22-2006, 03:33 PM   #14
(female)

*Lai* HB User

I was put on depakote to help with my manic episode and then i was on it for about 10 months maybe 11, and i hated it. I was constantly tierd, always slept too much, i gained like 50lbs and i am now overwieght and depressed about it. My hair fell out alot too and i hated it. I managed to change to carbemazepine and i guess its working so far kinda, i dont always take the correct dose so thats maybe why i have very bad mood swings. But it hasnt got any other horrible side effects. I am now trying to lose the weight i gained and it it very very hard work.

i wish you all the best with it.

xx

Old 10-24-2006, 01:14 PM   #15
(female)

shelb HB User

WELL GUYS AND GALS MY HAIR IS GREAT AND IVE ONLY BEEN ON IT FOR 20 DAYS AND HAD JUST QUIT SMOKING SO I EXPECTED TO GAIN WEIGHT AND HAVE ONLY GAINED A LITTLE BUT MY DOC. SAID IT IS GOOD WITH KEEPING THE POUNDS DOWN I AM MORE HUNGRY AND STILL NOT FEELING HOWEVER IM SUSPOSED TO FEEL STILL FEEL LIKE ME SOMETIMES GOOD AND SOMETIMES BAD WISH ME LUCK I DONWANNA GAIN WEIGHTWHEN YOU QUIT SMOKING IVE BEEN TOLD TO EXPECT ABOUT 20LBS

Closed Thread