It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2006, 06:52 AM   #1
(female)

troublex2 HB User
Unhappy Bipolar causing anger issues??

i have bipolar,was diagnosed 12 yrs ago. my question is ,does bipolar cause you to lash out at people and throw things?? sometimes i get so mad i cant control my anger. i could be in a fine mood and then something ticks me off and within like 2 seconds i am in such a nasty mood. i yell, scream,say really mean things to my fiance just to hurt him,throw things, and even hit him sometimes.i dont mean to do it,it sounds crazy,but i get like this rush through my body at the time and it feels good,but when its all said and done i hate myself for doing it.any little thing makes me angry,i dont know what to do...

does this sound like bipolar or something else?? please help..

Old 10-17-2006, 08:02 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

jgr01 HB User
Re: Bipolar causing anger issues??

Hi Trouble,

you are not alone, see the thread below this titled 'cause rages'. There is a lot written there. If that doesn't help, post again.

jgr (another who suffers sudden surges of rage!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2006, 08:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublex2
. my question is ,does bipolar cause you to lash out at people and throw things??
does this sound like bipolar or something else?? please help..
it sounds like you want to blame your behavior on being bi-polar. You are responsible for your behavior, bi-polar or not.
are you on any meds?

Old 10-17-2006, 08:59 AM   #4
(female)

troublex2 HB User

no i am not on meds. and believe me,i am in no way blaming my bipolar on these rages i have. i never say " i have bipolar and this is why i am this way" i never make excuses. i was asking because i can not control these things.i hate myself for being like this.i wasnt sure if it was possibly my bipolar that causes this or something else.i do not want to be on meds at all but if it will help with this anger i have then maybe i will consider it. thanks

Old 10-17-2006, 09:41 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

well it's obvious that what you're doing isn't working......I'd say it's time to make an appointment with a psychiatrist and get on meds......

Old 10-17-2006, 09:52 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Barry876 HB User

troublex2, your first post pretty much described me, except i keep my anger inside me. Which is even worse.
The same thing happens to me.
Anything can set me off. Even minor things can get me so angry.
The bipolar does this.
You get these anger an rage attacks.
The worst part is you cant control it.
You know its destroying you, but you cant stop with the anger attacks.
Have you tried any meds?

Old 10-17-2006, 10:42 PM   #7
(female)

darlamustang HB User

please excuse the tying.

my son is bipolar and when he is on his meds, he does fine, but if he runs out, he can say some pretty hurtful things, really lashes out at those closest to him.
doesn't throw things that i'm aware of.
he tried no meds for yrs, but found they were really nec. to manage the highs and the lows. would get depressed and stay in bed, sleep for days. then when feeling good, would do unusual things, climb trees in the dark, call me to tell me (like i wasn't worried enough already)

i totally disagree with the writer who says bipolar isn't real, just an excuse and to get over it.
its well documented mental health issue. also, commonly called manic depressive.

life is way better for everyone involved in my son's life now that he's been on the right meds past couple yrs.

take care, i hear ya, its real and i'd say yes, for sure anger is a part of it.

darlamustang

Old 10-17-2006, 10:45 PM   #8
(female)

MSLAINIE HB User

Hi Troublex2,
My Son 15 1/2 Gets Like That. He Is Much Better Now He Is On Meds And He Can See Better Now. I Talk To Him All The Time. He Is So Much Better But In Beginning He Broke Alot Of Things And Every Door In My House. Now On Meds He Knows He Cant Break Any More Doors Or Break My Stuff (his Mom) Or His Sisters Stuff. Anger Is A Big Part Of Bipolar And My Son Is Now Learning Meds Are 50% And He Is The Other 50%. He Has Been Hospitalized For Coming Close To Hurting His Friends On More Than One Time. Meds Do Help. He Sleeps Better And Can Focus But We Take Day By Day.
Good Luck...
Ms Lainie

Old 10-18-2006, 08:15 AM   #9
(female)

Trish BP2 HB User

Hi,
I suffered with rages when my first two children was growing up, I was then diagnosed with BP and read as much as I could about it, I now have four younger children and still get the need to go into a rage at them or anyone who causes me to be frustrated, but I dont.
I am aware of the rage and MAKE myself go in the other direction and say somthing nice and calm, if I find it imposible at that time then I tell them I am sorry I need a few mins time out and I take it. It took a fair while (I would call it more like training myself) before I got the hang of it, but I did. I realised it was my problem not anyone elses and I had to do somthing about it.
There is big difference in the behaviour between my elder two children age 17 18 and the younger ones 8 7 5 and 2, the younger ones are calm happy and very well bahaved well balanced kids, the elder two have problems which they and I will have to live with and work on, the guilt I carry I deserve. You have a choice.
Trish.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:51 PM   #10
(female)

darby91 HB User

Yes, bipolar disorder does cause anger issues. I know because I struggle
with that too. The trick for me is to catch myself before I become out of
controll, and calm down. People tell me to calm down all the time, and its
hard and I stugggle with it, also. I can empathasize and only through hard
work, councelling, and continueing with my medications am I able to get a
handle on it. It just takes alot of work and in my opinion its, ongoing.

Closed Thread