It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2006, 08:00 AM   #1
(female)

Wis Gal HB User
I'd like to hear from anyone on Lamictal, please! I

I'm new to these HealthBoards but feel the need to connect with some of you out there who suffer like I do from such a terrible disease. I am currently battling depression trying to get my act together after a bad episode of mania late this past summer. I'm finding it very difficult to find the right medication since the hospitals and my psychologist keep changing things on me. I am currently on lithium (only a week) but find myself shaking and having more of a dulling feeling. I need something that is going to help more with not just stablizing my manic/depression but that will help lift me up too. Does anyone out there take Lamictal and could you please let me know what your experiences have been?

Thank you for your time.
Wis Gal

Old 10-17-2006, 08:16 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

gav_73 HB User
Re: I'd like to hear from anyone on Lamictal, please! I

Hi Wis Gal, and welcome to the board,

I am on both lithium and lamictal. The lithium was going well at 600mg, until they tried to increase my dosage. The lithium brought me slowly out of my depression (I had been deeply depressed for about 6 months before I was diagnosed as bipolar), but I still felt unstable. However, I didn't want to try a higher dose because of the side effects experienced before. So, we are trying Lamictal. I was really afraid to take it at first, just like the lithium. But, I am on my second week with no side effects whatsoever (knock on wood, as I am about to move up to a higher dosage).

Anyway, hope this helps. Also, there are a lot of threads about Lamictal on here and others' experiences if you look back a page or two. There should be a lot of good information on there--some good, some bad.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2006, 08:26 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Hi, Wecome My daughter is currently on Lamictal and from what I have read and researched it is a great med in terms of dealing with the depressive side of Bipolar with a great side effect profile. The only thing is that it must be increased slowly to avoid it's most frequent side effect which is a nasty rash!! Some also say it MAY increase mania but I believe that happens when it is increased too quickly.

The only thing I find with each increase is that in the first few days my daughter gets more anxious and irritable. This eventually levels off. Other than that I have seen no side effects which is great since she is sensitive to many meds.

Also, from research I have read people referring to this med as the "magic pill" that did it for them!! They say that there is a "sweet spot" that you hit when increasing it and that once you hit it you should keep it there because once you pass it things don't feel the same. You can go back to it if you find it so be aware of how the med makes you feel and communicate with your doctor once you feel that it is making you feel good.

Good luck ~ Goody

Old 10-17-2006, 09:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I'm not bipolar, but I take Lamictal for my Asperger's outbursts and irritability. It has helped me immensely. I don't believe I have any side effects from it. Maybe some tiredness, but I blame the SSRI's I used to be on for that. My sleeping habits will never be the same...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 10-17-2006, 05:56 PM   #5
(male)

Wagon Daddy HB User

I am a 37 y/o male. I was diagnosed with Type II last year.

I am currently on 50mg Lamictal (for about a year now), 200mg Wellbutrin & Lorazepam as needed. (I was on 10mg Lexapro when I started Lamictal but recently asked to be taken off of it for various reasons.)

When I started Lamictal, I became very focused - everything seemed to get brighter and clearer through my eyes and it also balanced out my mood swings. It really evened me out.

The only side effect I seem to get from time to time is the headache. Personally, the headache is a minor annoyance. I'd rather be happy & stable with a headache than depressed/raging without.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:57 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

cortney09 HB User
Thumbs up Re: I'd like to hear from anyone on Lamictal, please! I

I am currently taking Lamictal. Although I am also taking paxil with it. I have had no side effects from either one. In fact I finally found two meds that work better than any that I have tried before. I feel the best that I have felt in years.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:47 AM   #7
(female)

Wis Gal HB User

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences with me. I feel that Lamictal may be good for me too even though my pdoc still wants me to stay on lithium for a while. How about exercise? Who out there can maybe convince me it is the number one cure to get out of depression along with medicine. I'd love to hear some testimonies to get me motivated.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:41 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

Hello from another Wisconsin girl.
My 24-year old son is on lithium and began lamictol about a year and a half ago. The lithium didn't do the entire trick, so his new pdoc started him on lamictal and it has been a blessing. He is and remains stable with very few, if any side effects. You may find that you need a combination of meds to get to feeling good. Unfortunately it can take time to find that right mix, and it is annoying to be dealing with all the trial and error. But hang in there. The results are worth it!! tsohl

Old 10-19-2006, 01:51 PM   #9
(female)

tired06 HB User

I don't know that I am of much help because I am not liking what is happening to me right now on lamictal and geodon. The doc took me off my paxil (on for 3 yrs) suddenly and uped my lamictal. I was great while I was on my paxil and at 50mg of lamictal. Now, I am not okay! But I did find that lamictal gave me the boost I needed for the depression and the days I couldn't do anything. Try it and see...i am scared too

Old 10-19-2006, 06:15 PM   #10
pollyparrot88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wis Gal
I'm new to these HealthBoards but feel the need to connect with some of you out there who suffer like I do from such a terrible disease. I am currently battling depression trying to get my act together after a bad episode of mania late this past summer. I'm finding it very difficult to find the right medication since the hospitals and my psychologist keep changing things on me. I am currently on lithium (only a week) but find myself shaking and having more of a dulling feeling. I need something that is going to help more with not just stablizing my manic/depression but that will help lift me up too. Does anyone out there take Lamictal and could you please let me know what your experiences have been?

Thank you for your time.
Wis Gal
Hi--I'm new, too. The reason I'm writing to you is that after many, many years of suffering from very rapid cycling bi-polar disease, my life is finally improving. I have had more medications than there is room to list. My saving grace was the combination of Lamictal and Abilify. In addition, I'm a bit of a guinea pig in this arena, but I went ahead and got a VNS Implant which I'm convinced IS working. It's only FDA approved at this point for severe depression and epilepsy, but it's working for me. I don 't think that there have been enough clinical trials with the bi-polar situation with VNS for it to be approved. If you're not familiar with VNS, it is a Vagus Nerve Stimulator Implant. It sounds a little gross, but it's wonderful. Cyberonics is the manufacturer. I don't know your situation, but currently Medicare does not pay for this (and it's very expensive.) However, many other insurance companies do for DEPRESSION. You'd have to check with your doc and your insurance. Needless to say, I'm so very much better than I ever have been. (We're not sure of my exact on-set, but I'm guessing that my disease set in around 1984.) My cycling was daily--many times daily. I'm certainly not saying that I don't suffer at all any more, but I'm SO much better! Best wishes to you and feel free to write any time. BTW...I thought that Lithium stank! :-) Take care. Polly

Old 10-20-2006, 08:35 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

weasel HB User

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents, as I do once in a while i started on lamictal about 2 years ago (?) its been great. ive mostly just sufered depression. im on 150 mg once a day. i take it at night bcause it makes me a little sleepy. the only side effects ive had are loss in coordination (i stub my toes a lot, and just basically clumsy) its annoying, but it is a minor side effect that i am willing to live with....as far as excercise.....on the lamictal, i over heat really easily. i can only do 20 min max of intense cardio. sometimes less. my favorite excercises are yoga (cant say enough good about yoga, and take a class instead of the video, because it gets you out of the house as well) and walking. both are low impact, but you feel great after.

Closed Thread