It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2006, 10:38 AM   #1
(female)

looking4aclue HB User
help i need coping skills

I am a single mom of 2 teenage boys i suffer from minor depression. I have just found out my older son is bi polar after years of being told he was just looking for attention and had adhd. I am having a real difficult time dealing with this and not getting any supports in my area as the funding is minimal.what can i do? i feel like I am alone in this situation.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bpd_bipolar HB User
Re: help i need coping skills

I have bipolar and borderline personality disorder and my boyfriend has ADHD and Bipolar, so I do know that it is difficult with dealing with the ADHD, let alone the bipolar part as well.

He has trouble focusing on things and is often bored.

I have found that getting him into something that interests him helps a lot.

Does your son like to play RPG's (role playing games, such as Dungeons and Dragons? *******? Werewolf?), these rpg's are helpful to keep the mind busy thinking of story lines and keep him creative because of the campaigning. We play D n D a lot as well as a few of the others.

Also, to keep your son's mind busy, a routine is also good for him to have.

Go to school, come home, do homework, surf the web (monitored of course), write stories or poetry or even songs. Something to keep his mind in one place for a bit and thinking......creating......

I hope that this helped you out a little.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2006, 12:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bpd_bipolar HB User

I have bipolar and borderline personality disorder and my boyfriend has ADHD and Bipolar, so I do know that it is difficult with dealing with the ADHD, let alone the bipolar part as well.

He has trouble focusing on things and is often bored.

I have found that getting him into something that interests him helps a lot.

Does your son like to play RPG's (role playing games, such as Dungeons and Dragons? *******? Werewolf?), these rpg's are helpful to keep the mind busy thinking of story lines and keep him creative because of the campaigning. We play D n D a lot as well as a few of the others.

Also, to keep your son's mind busy, a routine is also good for him to have.

Go to school, come home, do homework, surf the web (monitored of course), write stories or poetry or even songs. Something to keep his mind in one place for a bit and thinking......creating......

I hope that this helped you out a little.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:54 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Hi I have a 15 year old daughter who was recently diagnosed and sometimes it does feel as if you are alone. But not when you reach out!!

To start, this is a great place to be. I am not familiar with what may be in your area but I would search high and low and exhaust every single avenue available to you in order to find the help that your son needs. Often we find out too late that we cannot help them as much when they turn 18 so it is to your benefit and your son's to use the time you have now to get him properly diagnosed and treated. I know that is alot of pressure but I do know that as a mother you will do everything like I do, to get the help that your son needs.

Call up your local NAMI group if there is one in your area. Or mental health agency and any resources available to help point you in the right direction. Often there are free services/clinics available to children so check into that as well.

And take care of yourself too....easier said than done, but you are going to need to be strong for your son so taking care of yourself will allow you to better help him out. If you hve family and friends who could offer you some relief, take it.

Keep coming here to get the support you need. There are wonderful people here and lots of (((HUGS))) too.

(((HUGS))) ~ Goody

Old 10-20-2006, 06:19 PM   #5
(female)

acbc7374 HB User

PacketofTrex, Im using your techinique of being honest about advice. If you had or have Aspergers syn. mabey you should give all your great advice in the Aspergers Syn chat site. Im sure they would love it, since you area so knowledgeable about it.

Closed Thread