It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2006, 02:16 AM   #1
(female)

seeangel HB User
would like to give &receive support from parents of cyclothmia children

[B][/B] hi there im a newbie here and id like to meet parents of bipolar and cyclothmia illness. im still waiting to have my daughter diagnosed, my doctor feels theres a significant mood problem. at present my daughter is in the good stage but hyper, she is currently not sleeping and would rather go running when everyone else is going to bed.im so exhausted and often my husband and i think we are going mad especially when our daughter switches back to being ok. we are curently recognizing when shes switching and becoming foul . she usually becomes impatient and irratable and starts swearing alot. weve learnt to try and not rise to it as this makes her more aggressive and we have just had two weeks from hell where apart from two days break she became very violent with abusive behavoiur. my eight year old son is terrified of her as she normally uses him to vent her moods. her father has had to physically pick her up and remoove her from the lounge and put her in her room to calm down , it can take up to four hours to calm her down.what i dont understand is apart from being a bit moody with teachers iff they ask her iff shes ok she seems to hold everything together at school although i do want to know why all her friends who seemed lovely broke up with her three times and now dont want to know her at all . she doesnt have many friends bless her. is this begginning to sound familliar to other parents. id also love to know how to coax my daughter whos nearly 14 by the way to have a bath because shes only having one once a week . and hasnt washed her hair in ten days. look forward to meeting you all thanks for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2006, 04:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: would like to give &receive support from parents of cyclothmia children

Hi angel,i can soo relate to what you are dealing with.my son has/had the same exact type of behavior.i just have to ask you tho,was she actually on any sort of SSRI antidepressants at any time or is she on any right now?

we placed our youngest son(16 at the time) on prozac to treat his depression and some post tramatic stress stuff he was dealing with after going thru a horrible year with liver failure and ended up with a transplant.he was basically his normal self,which was a very caring funny really 'good" kid.he was just showing signs of depression.after placing him on that prozac within about one month,he told me one day that he just didn't feel 'right'.he couldn't actually explain it,it was just something he felt that was different than before.well,eventually,after they actually doubled his prozac dose,he slowly changed into the child from hell with manic type cycling and really reallt horrible nasty behavior,that really nice caring kid slowly turned into someone i was actually afraid of.despite me repeatedly telling his psyc doc that i thought this was all stemming from the use of the SSRIs he was on,they kept telling me no,it wasn't possible.also at every raise in dosage or a total change to a different SSRI,he would have what i can only call these horrible anger explosions from absolute hell.this was always like two weeks after any change,like clockwork,almost to the day.every time.

when it got to the point one day where he absolutely refused to even take his anti rejection drugs in order to actually not lose his liver,well that was it,we finally got him back into a really great mental health facility with a doc who had alot of experience with whats called bi polar III.this isn't a true bi polar disorder but it is given that name only because of some of the manic type of behavior it displays.but what i really became so angrry over was the fact that he told us that this disorder was totally and completely caused and triggered by the use of the prozac and other SSRI types of meds we had to try on him.there is absolutely no family history of any sort of mental heal;th disorders on either side of our family.this was created by the SSRIs and the reaction he had top it in his brain.i was relieved that i had been right but sooo ****** that this was not known by his other docs.

any child can have this type of reaction to any SSRI,it just depends on how sensitive they are to the med itself.but this was NOT there prior to the start of prozac,some docs say that the bi polar was already there but it just took the prozac to bring it out,but the info we got from our sons psyc doc,who has had a ton of experience in treating these kids who are brought there with these same symptoms seems to believe otherwise.once we got him off of the prozac and any other SSRIs he slowly started to come back to us,my 'normal' caring son whos sense of humor is soo wonderful came back too.he is now on just a mood stabilizer.he still has some anger issues but they feel this may be attributred to the prednisone he has to take with his anti rejection meds which he simply cannot go off of.

i just wanted you to be aware of this just incase this may have happened to your daughter as well.beliebe me,you have my fullest and deepest empathy here for what you are having to deal with.it is soo incredibly difficult and heart wrenching to watch your 'baby' turn into someone who you just don't know anymore.

if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask,K? i wish you lots of luck,and patience,FB

Old 10-20-2006, 01:04 AM   #3
(female)

seeangel HB User

hi feelbad how ya doing gosh youve had to go through a lot with your son . well the answer to your question is no , shes not on any medication or stret drugs or drimking or anything. we thought she was getting better but then she flips again, last night she just got irratable whille watching telly and threatened to throw the tv controls at the wall, of course when i doubted her she did it. shes admitted now that she is moody and is regognizing herself when shes switching personality which can be five times in four hours. she just doesnt realize how its affecting us and how we all cringe when she gets angry . im still waiting to see iff the phychiatrist will se her its just that the criteria is very strict and iff she dont tick all the right boxes she wont get seen. thats the DSM manual for ya . iff we cant get her asssed then our social worker will have to apply some prssure. ill let you know over the coming weer son remains well . did the doctor ever say that your son might have a mood disorder on top of other problems. and does he wash lol. god bless

Old 10-20-2006, 05:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

you know,considering some of her symptoms,it wouldn't hurt to have her evaluated by a neurologist and be given an MRI of her brain.even when they were pretty cretain that he did have the BI polar III,they still teasted him completely in all other areas,even with the brain MRI.there are times when a child,or even an adult will show big swings in personality and the same symptoms as some mood disorders,but these are actually being triggered by some sort of lesion or tumor that is affecting a certain area of the brain.this really really does need to be ruled out at the very least as a possible cause.

i know in the US,you can admit your child into a facility for evaluation and any time there is a situation where the police need to be called,they can place a mandatory 72 hour hold on anyone,if they feel it is warrented.getting her that MRI,which can in most cases,be referred by her primary dopc,and then into a facility where thay can monitor her and test spesific things to really try and identify the real issues that she is dealing with would really be the best way to go,if possible.my son was in that facility for about 28 days.and this was also followed up with after care classes.

you just really DO need to know for sure that this behavior isn't stemming from something going on(like a tumor) in her brain.has she ever suffered ANY sort of head trauma or head injury or ever been hit and unconcious for a period of time,ever?sometimes a head injury,even one that happened long ago,can start to trigger this type of behavior at some point.it all depends on whther or not there was any lasting damage.just some thoughts as to other possible causes that really do need to be looked into and evaluated before placing that definitive label of a mental illness or mood disorder is done.you just want to be sure that any Dx is the proper one,thats all.and yes,my son takes a shower everyday.Good luck and just follow up on what i have suggested with the MRI.it really does need to be done.FB

Old 10-20-2006, 09:11 AM   #5
(female)

seeangel HB User

hello hunn nice to speak again, well you know its funny you mention mri scans ect, my husband and i was only saying last night that we wonder sometimes iff the computers affecting her, sometimes she gets really nasty at the pc , she felt ill yesterday after coming home from school she been at the pc in class . but othertimes shes ok. she does complain of dizy spells and headaches and looks pale yellowy colour at the mo but we took her to the doctors and he did loads of blood tests and they all came back fine exept the white cell count which was just a litte low but not enough to worry about. he didnt suggest an mri but i know the phychiatrist can order all these tests once hes seen my daughter iff he suspects anything more sinister. i will know more monday wether the phychiatrist has agreed to see her. i phoned the office and the staff said there was stuff in the pipeline and that she doesnt think this time the referal will get rejected. will keep you posted but i will bear mri in mind. have a good weekend bless ya

Closed Thread