It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2006, 07:25 AM   #1
(female)

tired06 HB User
I don't think I am bipolar!!! Lamictal and Geodon

I have been on my meds now for well over a month--lamictal 100mg and geodon 80mg. I don't like me at all!! I have lived through the side effects on me so that I didn't just give up but I have had it. I was doing good on 50mg of lamictal but uped it to 100 as directed at the same time she took me off my paxil no weaning. It has been awfull since. I get hot and cold, headaches along with these weird surges in my head, one minute positive the next irritable to the extreme and then sad and crying!!! What is going on? I see my dr. next week but my husband wants me to go in as a walk in NOW!!! If I am not bipolar would thses medicines do this to me? Does anyone know? I also take premerin for my hormone replacement and it seems it isn't working. I would rather be depressed like I was than like this. Up and down again and again. The Geodon KNOCKS me out not even a fire would wake me! I feel so alone and nowhere to go....

Old 10-19-2006, 09:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kiehn HB User
Re: I don't think I am bipolar!!! Lamictal and Geodon

Hi Tired
I and so many others here have been where you are, one of the hardest thingss about bipolar is finding the rightr med cocktail. In my opinion if you felt better on the lower dose of lamical and paxil then it seems logical that may have been your bipolar cocktail.. I agree with you husband dont suffer go to the walk in. Tell them exactly what you did here. Hopefully they will atleast readjust you meds back to the lower dose of lamical and put you back on paxil until your appointment. Ive been on a variety of meds since
93 and will tell you, I always end up back on the same med cocktail I've always used lithium and zoloft. We are each different, sure the doctor has training but YOU know you body better than anyone listen to it and remember what you put into your body is your choice. I have leqrned to listen to my body and if a med is making me feel worse I go back to what worked the best. I h ope you're feeling better soon.
Take care of yourself, Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2006, 10:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User

Tired :

For Bipolar Disorder to be Dx'd, Most pdoc's need to document a depression episode and a manic episode.

While the exact cause of bipolar disorder is not known, it is believed that bipolar disorder is likely caused by multiple factors that interact with each other to produce a chemical imbalance affecting certain parts of the brain. Bipolar disorder often runs in families, and studies suggest a genetic component to the illness. A stressful environment or negative life events may interact with an underlying genetic or biological vulnerability to produce the disorder. There are other possible "triggers" of bipolar episodes: the treatment of depression with an antidepressant medication may trigger a switch into mania, sleep deprivation may trigger mania, or hypothyroidism may produce depression or mood instability. It is important to note that bipolar episodes can and often do occur without any obvious trigger.

This should help in your understanding of BPD. Good Luck with your pdoc next week.

Eyes

Old 10-19-2006, 11:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

coffeegirl2 HB User

Tired

It is difficult when a pdoc fails to take a patient off of a medication without weaning one from a drug slowly. Why this happens, is beyond me?! This happened to me by pure default. That is beside the point. The drug: Same one- Paxil. Side effects which occured: Severe headaches, nasty moodswings, crying spells, and agitation. This lasted about two weeks until the drug was completely out of the system.

As for the hot/cold symptoms, that could be due to a chemical reaction from the Premarin and the Paxil both reacting together. The Premarin might be readjusting to the loss without the Paxil, as it is a horomone, and it will have to readjust to the body's temperature again. I also take a horomone replacement medication, and if I fail to take my meds, I pay for it in the sense of hot flashes and nasty mood swings.

Most pdoc offices has openings for emergency visits. Explain to her the symptoms you are having and tell her that you are feeling very ill physically. The pdoc is in charge of your meds and knows what is going on with them, and most clinics usually have another pdoc on call at the clinic 24 hours a day as well- just ask.

Coffeegirl

Old 10-19-2006, 11:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

fallen_angel HB User

Tired,
i went through a very similar thing with meds when i was first diagnosed in may this year. I was taking Paxil (or seroxat as it is called over here) and my general doctor then added lithium. They are a bad mix and i went to hell and back until i was weaned off the seroxat. my mood was different every 5 minutes and i got very suicidal at times. I have now been on lithium alone since july and my body is only just adjusting.
Give yourself and your body time, it can take a long time for things to sort themselves out.
But i agree with Coffeegirl, make sure you call your pdocs office if you feel you need to, you dont have to suffer

Closed Thread