It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2006, 11:37 PM   #1
(female)

mzgarbo HB User
What do You Do To Relax

Hello, I'm new to this board.

Bipolar, recently had a manic episode and having a difficult time getting meds balanced again. This happens everytime I have a manic episode, so I'm kind of used to that part.

I have a difficult time relaxing. Lots of low level anxiety. What do you do to relax. Would love to hear what others find helpful.

Thanks.

Last edited by mzgarbo; 10-21-2006 at 11:38 PM.

Old 10-22-2006, 01:23 AM   #2
(female)

pse1960 HB User
Re: What do You Do To Relax

I listen to music, read, write stuff on my computer. It seems like if I can
get my mind busy, not obsessing, I am able to get my body to relax also,
but its hard and takes work. For me the medication only works so much,
then sometimes that needs adjusting, also. Everyone is different, but
even talking to someone helps, like this message board.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2006, 01:30 AM   #3
(female)

MSLAINIE HB User

Hi Mz..
My Son Is 15 1/2 And He Has A Hard Time Relaxing Too. He Writes And Says It Helps...he Talks To Me. Listens To Music. Sometimes Takes A Shower. It Depends On Day So He Tries What Works And You Know There Is No Set Thing. Tonight He Was Manic So We Played A Board Game Till He Couldnt Keep His Eyes Opened And He Does Fight It. Now I Need To Relax So I Turn To You And Board...
Thanks
And Good Luck
Mslainie

Old 10-22-2006, 01:24 PM   #4
(female)

moodypoo HB User

Hello, Glad you found this board, It is very helpful and very informational to me. I don't post very much, just most of the time sit and read. But, I love to make handpoured candles and when, I get in theses moods , I always fire up the candle wax and just have some fun and chill out for a bit. I also like to sew needle pointing. when i havent been rest good at night i sometimes take a cat nap.

Old 10-22-2006, 01:57 PM   #5
(female)

dachsundmom HB User

This is going to sound just as silly as heck, but in order to break a manic cycle ( if it isn't too severe) I force myself out of the house, drive down to dunkin' donuts & get an iced de-caf coffee ( french vanilla, of course!) and enjoy it while I leisurely drive back home! Sounds so silly but honestly, by the time i'm back in the house the mood has usually passed, the anxiety is so much less & I can deal with it.Point being: get yourself out of whatever you're doing at the moment and concentrate on something entirely different for a little bit....it works wonders for me. Maybe you too?

Old 10-22-2006, 08:45 PM   #6
(female)

mzgarbo HB User

Thanks for responding with your suggestions. I find it really hard sometimes to unwind. I find it even harder when people tell me to relax. But strangely enough when other people are all aggitated around me I tend to be able to be more calm.

I have been writing more lately and it has helped.

I'm in the middle of moving but I don't know where to yet. So by middle I mean the I've moved out of my last home and haven't moved into the new one yet because I don't have one. Staying with friends for a couple of months until I get it all worked out.

Needless to say I've been trying to find ways to relax so I don't disrupt my friends too much.

Again all suggestions are welcome and helpful.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:58 PM   #7
(female)

Strawberry.hill HB User

I am going to try to learn to knit!
I have no patience, and sometimes no attention span either, which means I cannot sit and read when I am not doing well. I wish I could.
I get so impatient, I had a hard time reading the instructions on how to knot, I just couldn't.
I will try again in a while.
Strawberry

Old 10-23-2006, 08:48 PM   #8
(female)

mzgarbo HB User

I read all the time. The other day the friend I'm staying with commented that I hadn't been reading. I noticed that I can't read when I get really manic. Mostly because I can't calm down enough to sit and read. I can't stay in one place long enough. I can't focus on one thing long enough. It's difficult.

I think something like knitting would be good it would be a calming activity. I recently bought a new bicycle and found that taking rides helps a little. But the weather is getting colder and I'm trying not to let that keep me from riding.

Closed Thread