It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2006, 03:42 PM   #1
(female)

*Lai* HB User
Wellbutrin - will it cause mania for ppl with Biploar

I was thinking of asking my pdoc if i could go on wellbutrin to help with my depressed mood which can get very very severe. Even tho i am bipolar, i am depressed most of the time and i get angry very easily. I am hardly ever manic, maybe a little hyper.

But i was wonrried about whether wellbutrin would cause any manic episodes!

Has anyone here had any experiences with wellbutrin and being biploar??

I have only ever had one major manic episode and that was last year i think and it was after that when i got diagnosed with Bipolar.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thank You xx

ps, at the moment i am taking carbemazepine

Old 10-23-2006, 07:03 AM   #2
(female)

kackle HB User
Re: Wellbutrin - will it cause mania for ppl with Biploar

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Lai*
I was thinking of asking my pdoc if i could go on wellbutrin to help with my depressed mood which can get very very severe. Even tho i am bipolar, i am depressed most of the time and i get angry very easily. I am hardly ever manic, maybe a little hyper.

But i was wonrried about whether wellbutrin would cause any manic episodes!

Has anyone here had any experiences with wellbutrin and being biploar??

I have only ever had one major manic episode and that was last year i think and it was after that when i got diagnosed with Bipolar.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thank You xx

ps, at the moment i am taking carbemazepine
You should talk to your pdoc first and see what he/she would say about the product. Your doc would know best about your reactions and stuff.

Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2006, 07:54 AM   #3
(female)

ronniesteers HB User

Lai

I can only tell you my experience with Wellbutrin. I had been taking it for about 1 1/2 years with no problems. I was taking 300mg, then a couple of months ago, I was having a depressed episode and my pdoc increased it to 450mg. I began to experience tremors in my hands and sometimes my whole body. She decreased the Wellbutrin back to 300mg and put me on a small dose of Effexor (75mg). The tremors seemed to subside but then about two weeks ago I had a major seizure at work where I was totally unconscious and I believe I was twitching, etc. They called 911 and I was taken to the hospital where I had another seizure. They gave me an anti epileptic drug and I finally stablized. The ER doctor told me not to take Wellbutrin or Effexor at all anymore. They don't know why this happened now but apparently my system can't tolerate that drug anymore. Wellbutrin does work as an anti depressant but everyone is different and can experience different side effects. I would ask my pdoc about it. It couldn't hurt. I did some research after the seizures and apparently it is a risk with Wellbutrin. I do know you are definately not supposed to take it if you have ever had an eating disorder or had seizures in the past. Hope this helps you. Don't be scared to ask or try it just because I had this experience because even the doctors don't know for sure if it was the Wellbutrin. I have to go to the neurologist for more tests in case it is something else.

Last edited by ronniesteers; 10-23-2006 at 07:55 AM.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:11 AM   #4
(female)

*Lai* HB User

Thank you all for your advice.

I was considering wellbutrin because i heard it really helps to life your mood and i am sick of feeling depressed it ruins my life and i end up staying at home for months with no contact with anyone.

I did read up on it and i did find that it can cause siezures, which i found abit frightening. I wish i could talk to my pdoc about it but she makes me feel stupid when i suggest anything and always thinks i should just do what she says.

I am planing to talk to my nurse about it, i might try go about beatin my depression by changing my diet or something. Its my last hope really. I have gone through so many medications and so many side efffects that i just think this life is just a waste of time you know.

anyway, thank you for your advice.

ronniesteers, i am so sorry to hear about what you went through, i hope you are recovering now and you dont experience that ordeal again.

xx

Last edited by *Lai*; 10-23-2006 at 08:13 AM.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

desertdweller HB User

My BP daughter had a very bad manic reaction on Wellbutrin. I would ask you doctor for something else to help with depression.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:58 AM   #6
(female)

SAChristaH HB User
Smile Re: Wellbutrin - will it cause mania for ppl with Biploar

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Lai*
Thank you all for your advice.

I was considering wellbutrin because i heard it really helps to life your mood and i am sick of feeling depressed it ruins my life and i end up staying at home for months with no contact with anyone.

I did read up on it and i did find that it can cause siezures, which i found abit frightening. I wish i could talk to my pdoc about it but she makes me feel stupid when i suggest anything and always thinks i should just do what she says.

I am planing to talk to my nurse about it, i might try go about beatin my depression by changing my diet or something. Its my last hope really. I have gone through so many medications and so many side efffects that i just think this life is just a waste of time you know.

anyway, thank you for your advice.

ronniesteers, i am so sorry to hear about what you went through, i hope you are recovering now and you dont experience that ordeal again.

xx

Old 10-23-2006, 05:24 PM   #7
(female)

Strawberry.hill HB User

Hi there. I was on Lexapro for a month and it slowed me down so much I asked for a change to Wellbutrin. On the second day I had a really bad time. I got severely depressed as I haven't been in a long time. It was really bad. It was over in about 2 hours. I read something on it that said that it can cause problems on Bipolar people, but I hung in there, and when it was over, it was over for good, I've been doing well since.
I am on 150mg. I am currently a little depressed because I have been stressed out.
I will see a doctor in two days hopefully.
I have heard from a friend that he had a bad reaction to Wellbutrin, he got extremely violent all of a sudden.
Ask your doctor. and remember, if he/whe changes your medication, you should not be by yourself for the first few days, in case you have a bad reaction.
I checked with the medics from another camp before going on Wellbutrin, they said they give it to people for smoking cesation, they passed out a lot of it to soldiers every day, and there was only one instance of seizures. It was suspected to be caused by the soldier taking diet suppliments. You gotta be careful to not put extra chemicals in your body when on medication without checking with the doctor first. By the way, I think it has a bad effect on some people that smoke while on this.
I hope this helps.
Strawberry

Old 10-23-2006, 08:23 PM   #8
(female)

suzannecaroline HB User

I had severe anxiety and panic attacks while on Wellbutrin... ony 150mg. It is different for everyone but in my case it was not a good drug.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:21 AM   #9
(male)

TurboMiataMan HB User

I am not Bipolar, just depressed. I had been on effexor xr 150mg for about 5 years. I came off and got depressed again, so the doctor put me on wellbutrin and prozac (to avoid more weight gain), with the intent of dropping the prozac. I have had lots of anxiety on the wellbutrin. lots of anxiety, is this common?

Chris

Old 10-24-2006, 10:03 PM   #10
(male)

lifeoriley HB User

I'm bipolar and have been taking wellbutrin for depression for 4 months. It has livened my mood and I have had no side effects with it. My pdoc told me it will not bring on mania because it works differently than ssri's (which will).

Old 10-25-2006, 02:32 PM   #11
(female)

*Lai* HB User

thank you for all your replies. I am abit worried about the siezures and the anxiety, I already have anxiety disorder, so i think it will be awful if i became more anxious. I am going to discuss anti-deps with my nurse, i really think i need them. I am on mood stabilisers but i dont think they do anything for me. I am always depressed.

xx

Old 10-25-2006, 04:31 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

desertdweller HB User

My daughter is BP also and she had a terrible reaction to Wellbutrin!
You mention that you are seeing a nurse, I would recommend a psychiatrist that specializes in BP disorder. My daughter also suffers from depression, and has been stablized without the use of anti-depressants . Also, are you getting enough sleep? She had mentioned that her depression gets worse with lack of sleep.

Closed Thread