It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2006, 09:10 AM   #1
(female)

bimmer16 HB User
Unhappy Taking Serequel for Bipolar -need 2 change help me

I take 25mg of Serequel 1 x a day for bipolar disorder (not much depression just always up cant sit still cant sleep always living on the edge (had an affair!) ialso take Ativan.5 mg as needed (usually everyday)- the Serequel seemed to work for a while but i noticed alot of hair falling out and weight gain - i am always hungry even wake up in the middle of the night to eat ! I cant take this anymore - i am a thin person and this is making me depressed. after alot of research i found Serequel causes rapid weight gain .I am gonna ask my Dr about Geodon and Abilify.. has any tried these meds if so please share your stories with me any bad side effects ? weight gain / loss?
I am 35 and was just told i was bipolar 3 months ago so this is new to me and very confusing -- please help me if you can

Old 10-25-2006, 08:08 PM   #2
(female)

connected HB User
Lightbulb Re: Taking Serequel for Bipolar -need 2 change help me

I too have been taking Serequel for the last 6 weeks. I take it at night to help me quiet my mind so that I can sleep. I use to take ambien and zoloft but the zoloft was not working anymore-I got very hyper....Any way Serequel-I started with 25 and then moved up to 50. They wanted me to increase to 75 but no way. I wake up in a fog and want to eat all day long. I have kids and a family and I need to function. This medication does not work well with me. If I don't go right to bed I get extremely iritable and fight with whomever is there. My p-np said to stop and she gave me Ativan 1m. I now take 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the evening. I just started this regiem. Hopefully it will work and I can still function and not have the fog head eating side effects. Next week she wants to put me of Lamitical. I don't know I didn't take these meds before and I seemed to function just fine. I just feel that I am stressed out and have anixety issues......What about You? You are not alone with the Serequel issues. Try talking to your pdoc or p-np about Lamitical it does not have the same bad side effects as Serequel and also about Adivan... Good Luck.

-conneted

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2006, 12:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User
Re: Taking Serequel for Bipolar -need 2 change help me

Hi I am new to all this but I just wanted to let you know that I have just started lamictal and zoloft (which also made me very hyper ro hypomanic I guess?). Lamictal is sedating (according to my pdcoc) so it is supposed to hel pyou sleep. It does not seem to be helping me sleep though. ugh

Old 10-26-2006, 05:45 AM   #4
(female)

bimmer16 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by connected
I too have been taking Serequel for the last 6 weeks. I take it at night to help me quiet my mind so that I can sleep. I use to take ambien and zoloft but the zoloft was not working anymore-I got very hyper....Any way Serequel-I started with 25 and then moved up to 50. They wanted me to increase to 75 but no way. I wake up in a fog and want to eat all day long. I have kids and a family and I need to function. This medication does not work well with me. If I don't go right to bed I get extremely iritable and fight with whomever is there. My p-np said to stop and she gave me Ativan 1m. I now take 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the evening. I just started this regiem. Hopefully it will work and I can still function and not have the fog head eating side effects. Next week she wants to put me of Lamitical. I don't know I didn't take these meds before and I seemed to function just fine. I just feel that I am stressed out and have anixety issues......What about You? You are not alone with the Serequel issues. Try talking to your pdoc or p-np about Lamitical it does not have the same bad side effects as Serequel and also about Adivan... Good Luck.

-conneted

Old 10-26-2006, 10:27 AM   #5
(female)

connected HB User
Smile Re: Taking Serequel for Bipolar -need 2 change help me

Last night I didn't take serequel or lamitical I just took ambien. I woke up this morning clearer. However, I am waiting for the rug to be pulled out from under me. I am waiting to see about my anixety or if I get hyper or hypomania. I have ativan and if I feel it coming I will definitely stop the bus. This is a journey and I am so glad I have the opportunity to discuss it with people like you. Real People who understand without judgments and such....Wish me luck....

Old 10-26-2006, 10:36 AM   #6
(female)

bimmer16 HB User

well went to the Dr and she put me on 20mg of Geodon at bedtime to start out -- i still have the Ativan that i take daily---off the serequel ! i gained 5 lbs.. Geodon is actually associated with weight loss... i feel i need to still be on some sort of meds for now -- i dont want to have a repeat of the dangerous behavior

wil let you know how this med works

Last edited by bimmer16; 10-26-2006 at 10:37 AM.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:51 PM   #7
(female)

connected HB User
Exclamation Re: Taking Serequel for Bipolar -need 2 change help me

Yes please let me know. I have been off of all mood stablizers for two days and I am still taking ativan. It's is okay for now but what if I get an episode....I am going to my p-np next week. She said that she may want to put me on Lamitical but I will now ask her about Geodon. What did you find out from you Dr about it??? Any information that you can pass along would be helpful. I too do not want to repeat dangerous behavior-it can be scary when you see it happening but do not know how to stop.

Old 10-28-2006, 02:26 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

CarenR HB User

HI. I am from Oregon, but living in Az. now. I think that the meds are very important and you are better off staying on them for a few months. to see how you improve.It would help you out to keep a diary of ups and downs. the medicine will show up in these. mood swings. or no mood swings.

I have short term and long term memory loss form my bi-Polar and so I need to Chronicle. my moods..

if you are even most of the time. stay on the meds.

I know that B vitamins. cure some depressions. when I was in the hospital recently. they gave me an IV of B-12.... so even hospitals are using vitamins.

hope this helps,,, Caren

Old 10-28-2006, 01:44 PM   #9
(female)

bimmer16 HB User

well - have been taking the geodon for 2 days i take 20 mg at bedtime i guess the normal dose is to start off wth 40 mg . i can tell you this i know it has only been 2 days but i have not seen one side effect - when i started the serequel i felt like a zombie for over 3 weeks when i woke up. iwill see how it goes . i dont believe Geodon is concidered am antidepresent though.

i have read that flaxseed and b vitamins are great to try for mood disorders -i eat a few table spoons of flax seeds daily . i dont know if it is doing anything for that but i know it is good for you in a lot of other ways -go to the health fodd store and get some golden falx seed itsthe best kind

Old 10-28-2006, 01:52 PM   #10
(female)

bimmer16 HB User

the Goedon is pretty new -newer than Serequel -- like everything there are alot of side effects - but like the serequel the bad ones are mostly with older people. all i can say is it does not knock you out like serequel but it is very expensive - i think the pharmacy price was like over $400 for 60 pills - luckly i have coverage -- my dr said i could try Abilify or Geodon and abilify was even more expensive-- like i said i researched both and because of the weight gain we went with the geodon ----- there are no cases of weight gain just some possible weight loss

Old 11-02-2006, 06:53 AM   #11
(female)

darkangle HB User
Cool Re: Taking Serequel for Bipolar -need 2 change help me

i im bipolal 1 with rapid recycling so i take serequel 300 millograms 2 times a dayand 30mg of mirtazapine at night to sleep...my boyfriend thinks i need an diet pills let him take the meds im on see howfast he gains the weight...he loves me bipolar and all an i love him but he just dont know the side afecta these meds can have....

Closed Thread