It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2006, 09:37 PM   #1
(female)

suzannecaroline HB User
brainwashed

Im sorry to offend anyone but meds are not a cure-all for any mental illness. It is a 1/3 meds at most along with self control/action and therapy. these meds are not the answer to all of the problems one may have from bipolar. i know this for a fact. Some of the meds are bad news too. not everyone works for everyone person . i take ambien to sleep but i cant sleep on it. It is advertising that plays a big role in people taking these meds. Meds are over-rated. In particular Lamictal. IT is not that great. no wonderdrug.

Old 10-26-2006, 11:10 PM   #2
(male)

accidentofdogma HB User
Re: brainwashed

i agree and believe that while meds alleviate negative symptoms, they also cause more new problems then the ones they solved. Since taking my medication constantly, i've become a near mute who is incapable of conversation and forget everything. the problem i am dealing with right now is that i actually preferred the rush of mania to this drug-induced stupor....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2006, 07:57 PM   #3
(female)

suzannecaroline HB User

i miss the mania too. I was thinner, more energetic and seemed to have lots of fun.. now im in a drug induced funk. I stay home and while im keeping out of trouble, Im bored and unhappy.

Old 10-28-2006, 08:05 AM   #4
(female)

MSLAINIE HB User

I Agree Meds Are Not The Cure...but My Son Can Function Now Before We Knew What Was Happening. He Was Violent, Didnt Sleep, Heard And Saw People, Had Bad Bad Night Mares, Came After Me And His Sister. It Was Very Scary Now I Can Talk To Him. He Is Back At School P/t And P/t At Home. He Looks Happier. Dont Get Me Wrong I Have Along With His Therapist Talk And Explained To Him. He Must Work With Us And We Will Help Him. And It Is Working. My Daughter 13 Doesnt Fear Him Anymore And I Dont Either. Which Is Wonderful. I Didnt Want To Place My Boy Anywhere Unless I Had To. Without Meds He Wouldnt Be With Us And Living Normal. I Always Tell Him Meds Are 25% And The Rest Is Up To Him. He Is Finally Seeing It And Does Come To Me When He Dont Feel Good Or Right Or Up Or Down.
He Has Many More Good Days And Some Bad Days. But We All Go Thru Ups & Downs. Not Like My Son But I Try My Best To Be There And He Does Talk To Me Alot.
Take Care
Mslainie

Old 10-29-2006, 05:47 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Picali HB User

Hi Suzanne,

Agree with you about the meds. I take a lot of vitamin supplements (including pure form magnesium to help me sleep), eat well, exercise, keep stress down as much as poss and see a homeopath when I need to. I can treat depression with St John's Wort, although the trouble I have is sometimes I get those kind of black manias. Last time I mistook it for depression and the St John's sent me through the roof - it took some getting back out of. Have also tried EFT, which helped and am going to see a cranial osteopath soon as well.

I do believe that everyone with BP should be screened by a nutritionist as well as receiving therapy - it's a complex illness that deserves to be treated in a multi-faceted way.

Old 10-29-2006, 12:46 PM   #6
(female)

JessiNorth HB User

Hi Picali,
I totally agree with you. I am definately not one who wants to take meds, at least not until I have tried everything else. Could you tell me more about what specifically you do? What suppliments/meds do you take? What kinds of exercise do you do and how often? Where do you find a homeopath? What training do they have and what are they able to do? I have been researching taking B vitamin suppliments, exercising more, going to a support group, I'm starting weekly massage therapy this coming week, and I am also working on getting a dog as I've read many studies that show mentally ill people benefit from having a pet. I would really be interested in hearing what you or other people who use alternative medicine to treat bipolar!
Thanks,
JessiNorth

Old 11-03-2006, 08:25 AM   #7
(male)

scullyboy HB User
Wink Re: brainwashed

hi there:
I agree with you about meds and the harm/good they do.
Having been diagnoised with Bi-polar for the last three years, I personaly suffered for at least fifteen years of miss diagnosis and pill pushing.
This caused all kinds of side effects and contra indications by doctors who seamed more inclined to give a pill for every ill instead of taking time to listen and understand just what the problem is...? and lets not forget that some meds can be very addictive and cause problems with withdrawell from their use.
I have found that if you feel that the doctor / psychiatrist is not listening to you then your probebly going to get a pill or medication that won't do you any good..?
What everyone who suffers with Bi-polar or lives with somone who has it needs to do is remember that you are their to see the doc for your problem, and even if the surgery is packed make sure you are listened to and ask the doc if he understands what you have just said to him

Talking and listening are the most important part of getting the right diagnosis and will help you to get better quicker.
Good luck and well done for bringing this topic into open forum.

Stay well and keep up the good work
Reguards Scullyboy

Last edited by scullyboy; 11-03-2006 at 08:31 AM.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:44 AM   #8
(female)

meowolfe3 HB User
Lightbulb Re: brainwashed

I am new at the site and I like what people had to say. I am confused as to what meds to take. What doctor to find (a good one) and what to say this [pdoc} when I see him. I feel intimated by him and I do not want to take my meds and my case is very complex. I have been antipsychotics drugs off and on for the past year and I have had some bad reactions to them. Of course I wanted to go off because of the hardship of the withdrawls and then go back on them and off again. Meds are good in some respect and n others getting off I have gotten so scared that I do not know which way is up. I am on several different meds and several different side effects are occuring. So I am going to a nuerologist to see why I had side effects like parkisons where involuntary hand movements occur and my legs collasp. hange so much I could not even talk.Thanks Meowolfe#3

Last edited by meowolfe3; 11-03-2006 at 08:49 AM.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:06 AM   #9
(female)

madamkitty HB User
Red face Re: brainwashed

Hi Suzannecarolin,
Just how long ago were YOU diagnosed with BP? How many different med combinations have YOU tried before telling everyone else on this board that NONE of the meds work????? In your 2nd post you say you're in a drug induced funk, that you stay at home and while this keeps you out of trouble you're bored- have you thought to tell your doctor that? Scream it at him it that's what it takes to make him hear what you're saying. Heck yes, I would say we ALL miss the mania's. We laughed a lot, we could dance the night away, we could go 24 hrs or more with no sleep and feel like we were on top of the world. But are you saying you don't remember what happened after you stopped feeling so great? We crashed, found ourselves in the deepest pits of hell, got in trouble; sometimes to the extent that the law was involved, we had crying jags that went on for days, we felt useless, unloved, unwanted by the world.
You need to sit back and really think of the last time you truely smiled and laughed at something. It was a REAL feeling - not some hormone gone overboard in your brain. It wasn't imaginary, this is real feeling. I am so greatful to have my meds. Yes, they don't always work to the degree that I want them to, but I don't have to worry now about having explosions of anger and sorrow that overwealm me.
Everytime I find I'm smiling, or laughing, I catch myself being greatful, cause I KNOW there won't be a crash after I finish. That's what my meds do for me. I have a husband who has lived with me through the good, the bad, and the ugly, now he's living with me as close to a human as I can be. I should have been diagnosed in my teens, but my parents didn't want the stigma of having a daughter with mentle illness, so they never took me to be treated. I only got treatment after a drug used to treat my RA went toxic in me and sent me into psychosis. After the psych hospital got me clean of all medication then they diag me as BP, after 38 yrs of thinking I was truely crazy I found out I wasn't. I have finally been able to have the career I always dreamed of, I've finally found out what true love really means, and I've found out that I CAN SURVIVE this genetically passed on disease. If you want to stay home and play poor pitiful me, you'll never be able to smile when you hear a robin sing.
I have to stay home now also, but not because of my BP, my health has been deteriating for the last 2 years. I've lost that great career, but I refuse to loose what else life has to offer. My husband helps me up when I get down and makes me see, there is something worth going on for. You just need to see that there is something worth going out of your house for.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:34 AM   #10
(male)

scullyboy HB User
Cool Re: brainwashed

Hi Meowolfe 3
If you find that it is hard to talk to, or relate with any of the doctors you see, and belive me when I say that I am not this rational all the time.

I know that it helps if you have someone with you who knows you very well, and can talk to the doc's on your behalf...? in fact it's an advantage, and can help you understand whats going on.

My little sister is my aid at those times when I,m not well (which is quite often ) and she is an invaluble help to me when I find it hard to relate to people, or just don't want to talk to anyone...?

It dosen't have to be a member of your familly either, a care worker, friend, councilor, as long as you can and do trust them then they are fine, and you can go over what has been said at a later date when you are more able to understand things.
As for psychotropic drugs boy do they cause more problems then they cure? and I have had my fair share of those in my system over the years...I have found as a rule if you feel better when you take the drugs and there are few side affects then carry on with them, remember the drugs are their to make you feel better not worse?...But don't stop taking any perscription drugs untill you have talked to your doctor ( or someone you trust has ).

As for the shaking (or tremours ) I get them in the mornings in my hands but this is a known side effect of Lithium , and the benifits of Lithium for me outway the mild side effects of a little shaking,...and sometimes worrying about the side effects can make you feel worse then better .
Good luck with finding someone you trust to help you ? and remember you are never alone there is allways these boards to help and comfort you in a time of need.
Reguards Scullyboy.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:26 PM   #11
(female)

JessiNorth HB User

I think one thing we need to keep in mind is that we are all different and respond differently to treatments. I for one could totally relate to Suzannecarolin. Some people are treatment resistant, meaning that we don't respond to the meds. I have been on EVERY antidepressant and they don't work for me. I'm really glad that your meds work for you, but maybe you could be a little less harsh on the rest of us who haven't had the great results. I can't speak for Suzannecarolin, but I know that I would do anything to make myself feel better even if it meant taking a pill and I wish it were as easy as taking a pill everyday.

I think we need to also try to be a little more supportive with our messages and less accusatory. How would you feel if someone responded that way to you? We could turn it around and ask you have you tried medication after medication to only get the negative side effects and never have them work? It's not like she told everyone that the medications don't work at all and to stop taking them, she was just saying they didn't work for her (or a large group of us) and that they might not be as great as they're made out to be for BP. But like I said I am very happy that your meds are working for you, just try to have compassion for those of us that are resistant to them and have to live day in and day out with the constant mood swings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madamkitty
Hi Suzannecarolin,
Just how long ago were YOU diagnosed with BP? How many different med combinations have YOU tried before telling everyone else on this board that NONE of the meds work????? In your 2nd post you say you're in a drug induced funk, that you stay at home and while this keeps you out of trouble you're bored- have you thought to tell your doctor that? Scream it at him it that's what it takes to make him hear what you're saying. Heck yes, I would say we ALL miss the mania's. We laughed a lot, we could dance the night away, we could go 24 hrs or more with no sleep and feel like we were on top of the world. But are you saying you don't remember what happened after you stopped feeling so great? We crashed, found ourselves in the deepest pits of hell, got in trouble; sometimes to the extent that the law was involved, we had crying jags that went on for days, we felt useless, unloved, unwanted by the world.
You need to sit back and really think of the last time you truely smiled and laughed at something. It was a REAL feeling - not some hormone gone overboard in your brain. It wasn't imaginary, this is real feeling. I am so greatful to have my meds. Yes, they don't always work to the degree that I want them to, but I don't have to worry now about having explosions of anger and sorrow that overwealm me.
Everytime I find I'm smiling, or laughing, I catch myself being greatful, cause I KNOW there won't be a crash after I finish. That's what my meds do for me. I have a husband who has lived with me through the good, the bad, and the ugly, now he's living with me as close to a human as I can be. I should have been diagnosed in my teens, but my parents didn't want the stigma of having a daughter with mentle illness, so they never took me to be treated. I only got treatment after a drug used to treat my RA went toxic in me and sent me into psychosis. After the psych hospital got me clean of all medication then they diag me as BP, after 38 yrs of thinking I was truely crazy I found out I wasn't. I have finally been able to have the career I always dreamed of, I've finally found out what true love really means, and I've found out that I CAN SURVIVE this genetically passed on disease. If you want to stay home and play poor pitiful me, you'll never be able to smile when you hear a robin sing.
I have to stay home now also, but not because of my BP, my health has been deteriating for the last 2 years. I've lost that great career, but I refuse to loose what else life has to offer. My husband helps me up when I get down and makes me see, there is something worth going on for. You just need to see that there is something worth going out of your house for.

Last edited by JessiNorth; 11-03-2006 at 07:28 PM.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:53 PM   #12
(female)

suzannecaroline HB User

Congrajulations on your success in beating this disorder. Im not telling anyone how to treat their BP in any way, everyone is different. I am venting my frustrations of how bad I feel and I am in no way feeling sorry for my self. You dont know me and I feel your accusations that I am telling people how bad meds are were rediculous. I have had BP my whole life I am assuming I was born this way. I was diagnosed over 15 years ago so Im not new to this what so ever. This messge board typically helps me in this battle that I have with BP. Your comment was not appreciated.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:20 PM   #13
(female)

shelb HB User

wow everyone take it easy ..............i think everyone here hates taking their meds i know i do but my kids need a mother and my hubby needs a wife all of which they can not and do not have with out my meds talks of herbal remedies and such are not something i want to hear because i have came to terms that i need to be balanced by meds and that is the only treatment Ive heard of and only a doctor knows ..so your taking a great risk when you go outside of a treatment plan i know if i would just mess with my meds i have no idea where id be also mixing herbal stuff and meds can actually be horribly harmful way worse than depakote or lithium so please talk to a doctor first Gods Blessings shelb

Old 11-05-2006, 12:52 AM   #14
(female)

fiesty_leo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannecaroline
Im sorry to offend anyone but meds are not a cure-all for any mental illness. It is a 1/3 meds at most along with self control/action and therapy
Couldn't agree more!! In another post on here I mentioned my aunt telling me the other night to "pop your pills and you'll be fine"...it made me SO MAD!! X 100 As most of us are aware, it takes a LOT more than meds to stay well, because for a lot of us meds don't completely get rid of symptoms altogether and whatnot...and I also don't think it's any surprise that qualities such as fiesty-ness, willpower, courage, resourcefulness, strength, insight and the rest are commonly found in people like us.

Old 11-05-2006, 10:57 AM   #15
(female)

shelb HB User
Thumbs down Re: brainwashed

no dought with meds or herbal remedies or whatever i am still bp i still struggle everyday and ALWAYS WILL last thing i heard there is no cure Gods Blessings shelb

Closed Thread