It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2006, 11:39 PM   #1
(female)

munchie11 HB User
New to Lamictal

Hi everyone. I have just started taking Lamictal, this is my third day. I have had the worst anxiety all day and just feel weird. Has anyone else experienced this with Lamictal???????

Old 10-27-2006, 03:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: New to Lamictal

I couldn't say. I get daily panic attacks, and my anxiety was really, really bad when I started the medication last fall, so I highly doubt that I would've noticed if the Lamictal caused anxiety. I'm sorry that you're experiencing this. Hopefully, it'll get better...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2006, 09:30 AM   #3
(female)

hjayala HB User

Lamictal is the best medicine ever created for treating bipolar disorder, bar none. I have heard of only a handful of people who felt it wasn't right for them out of thousands involved in studies/clinical trials and in later prescribed use. It is like a miracle drug. My psychiatrist was involved in the first clinical trial and I was put on it years ago. Almost instantly, the majority of the horrors of being bipolar just went away. Naturally, there are a bunch of other things that we all have to deal with (i.e., anxiety disorder, panic disorder, or whatever) and I've had to keep taking some medications for some of the issues that accompany being bipolar. But I haven't suffered a day in years. I tried and was almost perfectly successful at suicide twice. My life was as horrible as you can imagine for 20 years and if divine providence hadn't pointed my finger at my psychiatrist's name in the yellow pages under "P", I wouldn't be here writing today. Now, I am a successful math teacher, married 16 years, just finishing up putting 4 step-children through college, and almost done paying for my pretty house...things I NEVER imagined I would be able to do.
My niece was one of the original "poster children" for lamictal trials for patients under 18 (more susceptible for the extremely rare but potentially fatal rash). She went from being a homeless crack addict to being a straight-A full-scholarship student at a prestigious private university! No joke! To tell you a secret, I found my niece crashed in a crack house and dragged her to my house. I MADE her take a lamictal and then sat up watching her until morning. When she woke up, it was like a miracle. She just cried and told me how she felt like she did when she was little when everything was ok. AFTER ONE PILL!!! I took her to my psychiatrist and after a shockingly little time she was psychiatrically and physically sorted out and then she got her life in order.
Well, you get my point. I am so pleased for you that you have met lamictal. I hope you are among the masses that have been changed by this wonderful drug.

Hue

Old 11-04-2006, 11:31 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Hi Thanks for the high praises for Lamictal. My daughter who is 15 is on it but titrating up very slowly because of her hypersensitivity to other pyschotropic drugs. We certainly do not want that rash. We started out at 10mg for a month, then 25mgs for a month, and are finishing up 50mgs for a month. We are due for our next titration up next week!!

I have read the wonders of this drug but need to ask you at what dose did you feel the wonderful effects??? My daughter is still on the depressed side and was back in the hospital a little over a week ago feeling suicidal after smoking pot to help herself feel better. She is thinking that she will never feel better and we need some hope. The psychiatrist says that we are not yet up to the dose that will make her feel better. I would be interested in knowing what dose it was that turned out being the "miracle pill".

I appreciate your post and will be sure to read it over with my daughter later on.

(((HUGS))) ~ Goody

Old 11-04-2006, 03:51 PM   #5
(female)

LAP18 HB User

Great to hear! My daughters neurologist wants my daughter to try Lamictal (she said it is used for bipolar and epilepsy-my daughter has both). Thanks. I hope this is the answer!

Old 11-05-2006, 09:43 PM   #6
(female)

munchie11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjayala
Lamictal is the best medicine ever created for treating bipolar disorder, bar none. I have heard of only a handful of people who felt it wasn't right for them out of thousands involved in studies/clinical trials and in later prescribed use. It is like a miracle drug. My psychiatrist was involved in the first clinical trial and I was put on it years ago. Almost instantly, the majority of the horrors of being bipolar just went away. Naturally, there are a bunch of other things that we all have to deal with (i.e., anxiety disorder, panic disorder, or whatever) and I've had to keep taking some medications for some of the issues that accompany being bipolar. But I haven't suffered a day in years. I tried and was almost perfectly successful at suicide twice. My life was as horrible as you can imagine for 20 years and if divine providence hadn't pointed my finger at my psychiatrist's name in the yellow pages under "P", I wouldn't be here writing today. Now, I am a successful math teacher, married 16 years, just finishing up putting 4 step-children through college, and almost done paying for my pretty house...things I NEVER imagined I would be able to do.
My niece was one of the original "poster children" for lamictal trials for patients under 18 (more susceptible for the extremely rare but potentially fatal rash). She went from being a homeless crack addict to being a straight-A full-scholarship student at a prestigious private university! No joke! To tell you a secret, I found my niece crashed in a crack house and dragged her to my house. I MADE her take a lamictal and then sat up watching her until morning. When she woke up, it was like a miracle. She just cried and told me how she felt like she did when she was little when everything was ok. AFTER ONE PILL!!! I took her to my psychiatrist and after a shockingly little time she was psychiatrically and physically sorted out and then she got her life in order.
Well, you get my point. I am so pleased for you that you have met lamictal. I hope you are among the masses that have been changed by this wonderful drug.

Hue

Old 11-05-2006, 09:52 PM   #7
(female)

munchie11 HB User

Hello hjayala

I am so very glad that the Lamictal has helped you so much. It does sound wonderful, and I also have only ever heard really good things about it. The reason I wanted to go on it is because it is weight neutral and I've gained lots of weight with my other medication. I was really thinking that this will be a miracle drug for me, but after seeing my pdoc, after I was only on it for three days, he told me to go straight off it, coz besides the rash, I was having all the other side effects and it just didn't agree with me. I'm a little ****** off coz I did have such high hopes for it. And now while I havn't had any episodes for over two years I'm pretty sure I'm rapid cycling, so I;m just back on my old meds again. I guess I have to deal with the weight another way. Thanks for your reply...

Closed Thread