It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2006, 12:56 AM   #1
(female)

GeeGee545 HB User
Am I bipolar??

Hey Everyone.
well i have been having problems lately and im not sure whats going on. My dad and my brother are both bipolar. a couple months ago while i was about to sleep i had a horrible panic attack and it totally freaked me out because i had never had one before. after that i could not sleep at all and got chronic insomnia which also caused me to develope anxiety. I went to a pdoc because i thought i must be going crazy or something, because ive never felt like this before. The doc said i have a 50% chance of developing BP and some bp people show anxiety before becoming bp...and now i just fell so confused. everyday all i think about is if im going to go manic and cant stop obbsessing about it. even tho ive never had mood swings. so i was wondering if people can relate. or tell me how they felt before they were diagnosed.
THANKS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2006, 10:52 AM   #2
(female)

makeworldgoaway HB User
Re: Am I bipolar??

This probably isn't what you want to hear but it's exactly how it started for me 2 or 3 years ago, well I mean when I knew something was wrong-I would go to bed at night & all of a sudden have a horrible panic attack for no known reason. I thought I was dying & would have to turn the t.v. on in my bedroom & concentrate with all my might on what was being said until I got tired enough to fall asleep. I went to a regular M.D. & she had me wear a heart holter monitor for 24 hours & that turned up nothing. She was as puzzled as I as to why I would go to bed totally relaxed & all of a sudden be hit with this terror. I think that went on for several months & then stopped for again no known reason...then later I got different symptoms that weren't even tied to these occurences because so much time had passed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2006, 08:47 PM   #3
(female)

catlover4156 HB User

Only your doctor can answer that question. My own situation has been 15 years of treatment for regular Depression, which never stabilized, culminating with a terrible panic attack in early August. That sent me to the crisis center where I was diagnosed Bipolar with Acute Anxiety.

I am feeling better and have some hope of stabilization. It sounds like you need more information from your treating physician. Good luck.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:47 PM   #4
(female)

catlover4156 HB User

Only your doctor can answer that question. My own situation has been 15 years of treatment for regular Depression, which never stabilized, culminating with a terrible panic attack in early August. That sent me to the crisis center where I was diagnosed Bipolar with Acute Anxiety.

I am feeling better and have some hope of stabilization. It sounds like you need more information from your treating physician. Good luck.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:49 PM   #5
(female)

MSLAINIE HB User

Hi Gee-gee,
I Agree With Catlover Only A Psy Doc Can Diagnose You. But I Think You Are Jumping The Gun. My Son Is Bipolar And My Ex Husband And Some Of My Friends. My Ex Is Self-med And Refusing To Look At Possiblity The Doc's More Than One Are Right, He Has Bipolar.
But Anyway----from My Experience And Research Alot Of Bipolar People Dont Think They Are Bipolar At 1st, Also I Read 30% Of Children With Bipolar Parent Are Bipolar And 70% Of Families With 1 Bipolar Parent Dont Have More Than One Bipolar Child. Now My Daughter 13 Has Adhd And My Son 15 3/4 Bipolar.
I Am Not Bipolar But I Had All Your Symptoms And It Was My Hormones Not Balanced.
I Would Keep A Log And Close Contact With Your Doctor And Good Luck...
Mslainie

Old 10-30-2006, 10:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

Hi there. I was diagnosed after about a year of treatment for depression and finally stayed on an antidepressant long enough to make me hypomanic. Or that's what they tell me anyway! haha My pdoc told me that if I increased my antidepressant dose any more it would push me over the edge into severe mania?

Anyways, I just wanted to know if you are taking any antidepressants and to be careful if you are because they could make you manic. I would definitely talk to your pdoc about this! But you definitely sound like you could use some kind of anti-anxiety med to help you calm down. Take care!

Old 11-01-2006, 06:17 AM   #7
(female)

Lanugo HB User

I've recently stopped taking anti depressants again because I started getting really anxious and agitated. I even was jumping on my husband for sex at silly times of the morning, which hasn't been something I've done since our son was born! I'm now taking Diazepam as and when which just makes me behave silly and doesn't make the paranoia go away. I'm still awaiting my referral to psyche and I'm, conversely, really scared of not being diagnosed with BP 'cause I've spent tears falling through the massive cracks in the British National Health Service. It's free, they probably do their best but I find it hard to trust them anyway and even harder when they're doing nothing for me. Hope your path in life is as smooth as possible diagnosed or not. XXXX

Closed Thread