It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2006, 10:06 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User
hmmm...

How long does lamictal take to work? How will I know if it's working and will it make me gain more weight? I am kind of paranoid about this lately...

I have still been drinking a lot, but it helps me sleep (if I pass out) and kind of slows my mind a little.

But I have been able to stop seeing that guy with a fiance (for a few days at least). Which is good right? It is hard though because I really just want someone to...well you know! haha have some "fun" with!

And on another good note I got 5 hours of sleep last night!

Old 10-31-2006, 02:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: hmmm...

stay clear of the booze. It will cause nother but problems.
I think the med you spoke of is quick acting. At least I think so.
I'd ask the dr or phramist that question too.

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2006, 05:10 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Hi...the Lamictal is one of the very few meds that WILL NOT cause weight gain...my daughter is on it and is still working her way up slowly to the right dosage. That is the bad thing about the med.....it is one in which you must be patient with but from what I hear about it you will know when it is working and when it does work it works quite well!!

We are only at 50mgs/day and were told that we wouldn't really see a difference until we hit 100mg-125mg. But some will respond at lower dosages so just remember that everyone is different and you will know when you get to the dosage that will be right for you. Just make sure that when you get there that you let your doctor know....from research I have read there is a "sweet spot" and once you get there you should stop because if you pass it you will have a difficult time getting there again.

It is good that you got some sleep and are seeing some positive effects of the med. ARe you on anything else??? Often you will need another med with the Lamictal....be honest with your pdoc about how you are doing so he can find the right med combo for you.

Good luck ~ Goody

Old 11-01-2006, 12:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

eek I don't really want to stop drinking. I feel so good when I've been drinking. You know? I have been drinking almost every night this week.

It's good though that this med works quickly and does not cause so much weight gain. I am also taking zoloft. I also really think I need something for adhd because this is just getting ridiculous. I don't know though maybe it is part of the bipolar? But ugh people I work with are telling me I need to be on ritilan. I don't know what to do about that.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:48 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

weasel HB User

lamictal doesnt really work when you drink......trust me (from experience)

Old 11-02-2006, 01:01 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

I am so confused. My pdoc never said anything about not drinking while taking this med. And I was honest about how much I have been drinking lately.

So, it is pointless for me to take this med? It is so expensive maybe I should have never gotten it filled in the first place. I am up to 50mg now. Sometimes I don't even know why I try. I don't know what to do!!! I am so frustrated with everything, everyone, and mostly myself. I should have taken some more time off from school...I just can't concentrate I hate it. I wish I had the discipline to do better. I am so angry!

Old 11-02-2006, 10:29 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

tsohl HB User

If I were you, I'd be looking for a new doctor. Drinking is very much contra-indicated when taking meds that change the chemical balance in the brain. Alcohol and street drugs like pot, coke, etc. play havoc with the way the prescribed med is supposed to work. It isn't a complete waste to still take the lamictal while still drinking, but you definitely aren't giving yourself the best chance at feeling better. A drink here and there wouldn't be the end of the world, but drinking every night has to have an effect on the way the lamictal should be working in your body....best, tsohl.

Closed Thread