It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2006, 09:30 AM   #1
(male)

OCA917 HB User
I'm an unmedicated bipolar college student (trust me It sucks)

well I was diagnosed a couple of years ago. and I haven't been on medication since the summer before last. I have no insurance and (because Im in the smallest town on earth) no doctor. I have horrible insomnia. last night I went to sleep at 1:30 in the morning to wake up at 8:30 for a class at 9:30 I wake up at 3:00 in the morning and don't fall asleep till 6:30 and wake up too late to go to class. I have no absences left in this class. I will be kicked out. I have already dropped a class and am hanging by a string of thread in my next class. I believe that my bipolar self has a major roll in why Im doing so horrible in school. medication (without taking myself to the psychiatric hospital) is not available for quite some time. I want to tell these teachers what is going on but I don't want it to sound like some weird excuse so that I can do what I want. someone please help me. I need to know somewhere that I can find medication. I heed help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2006, 10:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

desertdweller HB User
Re: I'm an unmedicated bipolar college student (trust me It sucks)

My daughter qualified for medical assistance since her BPD was considered a disability. She went to the public assistance office with copies of all her documentation from her doctors ( she was diagnosed at 15). The state pays for her monthly doctor visits, and her meds. She is 20 and lives on her own. She does work for herself, but her income was low enough to qualify.
Like you, before she got back on meds. she couldn't sleep and was taking 5-6 Tylenol PM every night. Even then, she'd only sleep for a few hours, then wake up. She's been getting medical for about 6 months now, and it's made a huge difference in how she feels.
I hope you get some help soon! Take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2006, 06:39 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

gav_73 HB User
Re: I'm an unmedicated bipolar college student (trust me It sucks)

Dear OCA (sorry, previously addressed wrong person),

I am also a college student with bipolar II disorder. I went my entire life unmedicated but with all the signs. Finally, while in grad school, I started to feel as if I was having a nervous breakdown. I went to the doctor and she diagnosed me. This was two months ago. I also suffered from severe insomnia. I had to work about 30 hours a week in a highly demanding job, and on the other days would drive 160-mile round trip to school three days a week. All this while trying to maintain a 4.0 GPA. It was a nightmare from hell! When I got diagnosed, I was totally relieved, but faced the same dilemma as you - whether to tell or not to tell the school. I decided to tell, and it was the best decision I ever made. They immediately stepped in and helped me end my job (which was a requirement for my degree), and my advisor even offered to talk to my teachers for me (without revealing my illness), asking them to excuse my absences for medical reasons. They didn't even require me to give them doctors' notes or anything. Very, very supportive. Turns out, they face this sort of thing all the time, and they were even telling me that they have had to deal with much, much worse circumstances than mine.

I encourage you to at least go to your school counselor. The information you give them is confidential. But they can step in and help you. If you are close to someone in your particular college if you are at a university, go to them and tell them that you are having some medical issues and need an advocate.

They can't help you if they don't know what's going on. However, it is your choice and your choice only. But sometimes there are medical doctors on staff at the school who can prescribe medication. Is there a counselling center or health services? If so, go there.

Good luck.

Last edited by gav_73; 11-02-2006 at 10:12 PM.

Closed Thread