HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   Bipolar or Obsessive Compulsive??? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bipolar-disorder/443477-bipolar-obsessive-compulsive.html)

catlover4156 11-03-2006 07:55 PM

Bipolar or Obsessive Compulsive???

I'm starting to question my new diagnosis of Bipolar. I obsessively will check emails, to see if anyone answered or posted. Same if I leave a voicemail for someone, I'll keep checking my phone to see if they called yet. I don't do a "ritual" or check the stove to see if it is off. I don't have what I would call Mania, but do have a bad temper when provoked (loud screaming & so on). With medication (Geodon, Serequel, Clonopin) I feel sort of "FLAT". I still do cry easily, however. I'm always bored!

I have a clutter problem that literally drives me crazy. I can't dump the stuff as it isn't garbage, but needs sorting or a place for it. It embarrasses me to no end. Everyone says to forget about it, but that's the problem--I can't!

Help!

Picali 11-03-2006 11:06 PM

Re: Bipolar or Obsessive Compulsive???

Hi Catlover,

There are two reactions to a diagnosis - the first, for many, is relief at finally having a name for whatever is going on. The second, for many, is more questions! Few of us fit neatly into any kind of diagnostic definition and many of us have elements of other kinds of disorders.

I've found that focusing on symptoms rather than what they are called has helped me. If you go to the self-help section of a good book shop, you'll find reams of books about streamlining your mind a bit and on how to de-clutter your house. I've always been kind of obsessive about checking e-mails and voicemail. I do two things now - one is to set myself a task (ie I won't check again until I have completed x, y and z) and the other is to only check when I am using the system - ie, I'll check my e-mail but I'll also send one at the same time. There are lots of books that can help steer you in the right direction.

kiehn 11-03-2006 11:20 PM

Im bipolar but I also have ocd, and I've noticed the more depressed Im the more the ocd comes out. When Im up and feeling good it's hardly bothers me. I also find it helpful to set limits on myself so it doesnt totally control me. OCD is more common than people realize, it's just not the topic of disscussion at work, school etc. If it's really bothersome, I've heard some antidepresants can be helpful. Discuss it with your doctor. Good Luck

fallen_angel 11-05-2006 02:55 AM

I also have both bipolar and what i believe is OCD, the OCD seems to be worse when im in a depressed episode. Ive heard anti depressants are the best treatment but most of them send me too high so its difficult. I find it really hard to deal with as it rules my life in some ways