It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2006, 06:07 PM   #1
(female)

country mom HB User
worn out

My 24 year old son has been diagnosed as ADHD since preschool. I thought I has a handle on this until he hit the teen years and was diagnosed as comorbid with Bipolar. He celebrated his 16th bithday in the psychiatric hospital. Again I thought I understood this new twist and attended support groups. After trying to live on his own and not being too successful, he moved home and was doing great with a job, school, and a nice girlfriend. Three weeks ago he met a different girl , quit his job, and took off. He has called once and showed up here once. We have no idea where he is. Is this typical of bipolar young adults? He has stopped any meds and counseling once he reached 18. Any suggestions of how to respond when he does call or visit? I don't want to alienate him but don't want to act like everything is OK either. After all these years, I feel confused and worn out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2006, 08:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

marshmallow HB User
Re: worn out

Country mom I am so sorry you are going threw this pain. I don't think anything hurts us more than our children being in trouble. I wish I had advise for you but all I can do is tell you I really feel for you. Hugs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2006, 03:54 PM   #3
(female)

LAP18 HB User

My daughter is 17 and I already feel I am losing all my power to help her. I am so sorry for you. I know in just a few years I'll be as frantic as you are. Just wanted you to know that I understand how you feel.

Laura

Old 11-06-2006, 05:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CarenR HB User

HI when I was that age.(18) I left home and eventually as a Bi-polar had a break down and was in a hospital...so one does crash and burn so to speak.

the disease just caught up to me, It will show itself...

I suspect your son will contact you if he starts having symptoms. or crashes. If one crashes, he will be getting help.. ....

Closed Thread