It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2006, 05:30 PM   #1
(female)

suzannecaroline HB User
Lamictal- not manic anymore but sad

i think lamictal is finally kicking in for me but I feel terribly depressed and almost think being med free is a bit better. Antidepressants do not mix well with me. I have tried them all so I dont need to be told to try another one. I was told that lamictal has an antidepressant effect on people but I dont think that is true for me. i feel like someone died. dark clouds are following me. it could be the cold weather here and no sun. (chicago)

Old 11-04-2006, 06:13 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User
Re: Lamictal- not manic anymore but sad

Hi May I ask what dosage you are up to??? My daughter is on Lamictal and only at 50mgs because we have to go extra slowly since she is quite sensitive to meds. And we have yet to see all that it is written out to be....but I am holding onto hope that once we get to the right dose we will be able to experience the wonders that we have read about of this drug.

I also heard that Lamictal serves best as an add on med in treating Bipolar and you may need an antipsychotic or perhaps another mood stabilizer to work along with it in order to see how well it works. I also heard that it works very well on the deprssive side of the disorder. PLEASE do not be afraid to try other meds since your bad experience with the Wellbutrin....it isn't uncommon for mania to be triggered with an antidepressant without a mood stabilizer or antipsychotic in place.

I hope that you are feeling better soon.....I am sure that the weather isn't helping much and if this persists I would definitely call your doctor. Also....adding alcohol to the Lamictal will only cancel out it's antidepressant effect since alcohol is a depressant. Try having a club soda with lime for a few days and see if that helps.

(((HUGS))) ~ Goody

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2006, 06:25 PM   #3
(female)

suzannecaroline HB User

Goody you are so sweet. Im on 100mg and the doc may raise it.

Off the subject, Ive just been reading on line about a study in Italy that is saying that bipolar is so complex and that people with both panic disorder and bipolar disorder have completely different types of the BP disorder than those who do not have both. If anyone is interested in reading about this it is on this link-

The study report, "Catechol O-Methyltransferase, Serotonin Transporter, and Tryptophan Hydroxylase Gene Polymorphisms in Bipolar Disorder Patients With and Without Comorbid Panic Disorder," is posted on the journalís Web site at http:ajp.psychiatryonline.org under the January issue.

AM J PSYCHIATRY 2002 159 23[Abstract/Free Full Text]

Old 11-04-2006, 06:37 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

You are just approaching the dosage in which you will be feeling the med working.....I hear that some people are up to 400mg - 600mg daily in split doses so you are still at a fairly low dose. Thing I read is that with each increase in titration the first few days will increase anxiety and make you feel worse and then level off and then dip again. You will know when you are ata the right dose often referred to as the "sweet spot" when you feel the med working and it stays that way without dropping off.....that there is no doubt in your mind that the med is doing it's thing. I am hoping that when you finally get there that you will be sharing it with us all here!!!

I know I will when that time comes for my daughter!!

Thanks for the reading material

~ Goody

Closed Thread