It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2006, 12:58 AM   #1
(female)

fiesty_leo HB User
feeling a bit unsettled...

This morning I wandered over to the schizophrenia board to try and find something out, and I'm wishing I hadn't. I came across some nutbag telling people that meds were no better than street-drugs, doctors were only out to make money, meds do nothing, the "cure" for bipolar and schizophrenia is love and meditation, and...worst of all...bipolar and schizophrenia are caused by a lack of self-control As if it's our f_____g choice to be the way we are...and did it not occur to the f_____g looney-tune that maybe the lack of self-control over emotions etc is caused by bipolar/schizophrenia/whatever, not the other way around? Don't get me wrong, I don't believe purely in meds, and am a strong advocate of things like meditation, taking the time to work yourself out etc...but by the same token, I vehemently disagree with openly encouraging people to abandon their treatment plan...

f_l

Old 11-05-2006, 01:18 AM   #2
(female)

Chatham24 HB User
Re: feeling a bit unsettled...

Hi, I totally understand how you feel. I have found that sometimes when I go to the board, I get very depressed just reading the posts. It reminds you that you have this "disease" over and over. Dont get discouraged just because you ran into one bad apple. Keep you head up~ chatham24

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2006, 06:18 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

jgr01 HB User

Hi F_L,

I think it's important to remember that these boards are here for people to share, love and rant. Everyone has an opinion and everyone deals with their own diagnosis and treatment differently; just like we may all have similar symptoms but they don't always exhibit themselves identically for each of us. Sounds like he's having trouble accepting who he is. I don't think bp is a disease; it is a condition, it is who you are, just like schizophrenia. You know what you want to do and how to manage your own condition and diagnosis.

jgr

Old 11-05-2006, 06:42 AM   #4
(female)

makeworldgoaway HB User

fiesty, I think the person you are referring to was posting to me, and later others who commented, (I was dx'd Schizoaffective) & my first reaction was "okay, who gave this guy a medical degree..." but as time went on & he kept saying the same things I thought for all I know he could be having a psychotic episode & this was his reaction to it so I ignored it & didn't reply anymore....kind of made me think of the movies where someone sane visits an insane assylum & thinks he's talking to a doctor there & is getting the tour & lecture & everything & eventually he finds out it's a patient doing a very good job of believing/pretending to be a doctor....as someone else said we all have our opinions too, and if I get manic/paranoid & post about the people spying on me I hope I don't get stoned...usually I just get ignored & t hat says it all, ha ha. I hope you're okay about this by now...take care.

Closed Thread