It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2006, 11:55 AM   #1
(male)

Dut HB User
Unhappy how do you know

I have two wonderful kids that are too toung to understand, but I have a grandmother that does not understand either. I am worried that I am not good for my kids anymore. I am not on meds and often drink to self med. I wonder if its time to step up and let them go lead a good life with their mother who is a good person. Her husband is in the navy and have a stable life. I have been through about five jobs in the last 6 months and now dont have a job. My kids dont understand and I dont think it is a healthy relationship, just worried about their well being. any suggestions please.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2006, 12:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kiehn HB User
Re: how do you know

My father was an alcoholic, Im almost 50 years old and his alcoholic behaviors are as clear today as there were back then. Im deeply
touched, you are the kind of father all children should have, one
that loves their children so much they would sacafice anything for
them. The gift you could give them now by putting them in a stable
home and getting help for yourself so you can be that loving father they need. One other thing to consider bipolar can be heritary, set an example
for them now so you can be strong enough to be there for them if they need you. No one understands the bipolar condition better then another bipolar.
Thanks for your post, it makes me wonder if deep down my father wanted
to be able to give more but was disabled by the alcohol. Take Care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2006, 11:28 AM   #3
(male)

scullyboy HB User
Talking Re: how do you know

Hi to you Dut:

Listen you are who you are and will do what you can do untill you change

You have reconised you have a problem and that you wan't to change it .i'm not saying that you can cure it all , but by reconising you have a problem perhaps you could go to your doctor and get help as your halfway there' as the Buddha once said " the longest journey begins with the first step "

So why not take the first step ( if you allready have with recinigition ).

Good luck and good whishes to a good man.

Reguards Scullyboy ( Steve )

Last edited by scullyboy; 11-10-2006 at 11:29 AM.

Old 11-10-2006, 02:03 PM   #4
(male)

Dannyk HB User
Re: how do you know

Dut,

You aren't alone when it comes to drinking to medicate yourself. I too have been doing the same thing. It started about 6 months ago and I was to the point of blacking out almost everynight for the last two-three months. I'm surprised I still have a job. I did however check myself into the hospital for detox a couple weeks ago and now I am in their intensive outpatient treatment program. The therapist in our group therapy wants me to stop taking klonopin but he doesn't understand it helps with the anxiety the abilify causes. I don't know what to do.

dan

Closed Thread